Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxies - legal?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxies - legal?

DevialDevial Member
edited October 2011 in Help

Hey peeps.

Short question: When come proxies illegal?

Any rules etc?

Comments

• when u cant see some legal site through ir browser ,you can use proxy to view the site. at that time proxy becomes legal.

but most of the time proixes are used for illegal purpose

• Yea - most of them are used for illegal purpose, but why can they keep them up then? how so?

• what you meant by " why can they keep them up then?" and " how so?"

• If it is againts rules? how can they keep the public proxies up then? tunnels/hidemyass etc?

• no it is not against rules... you can run proxy site on ur own... but you have to predict that your proxies are used for good purpose and you have to say them that we wont log details what the users browse.. thats it what the hidemyass and others do :)

• Okay, if i am going to host my own server, for personal use and friends, its legal?
    Ex: If my friend use it to bypass a torrent site like tpb?

• sure go on. read this stuff to know about what other big proxy site do's to get escape from law http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

• Proxies are not illegal. What you or other people do using them may be illegal and then you're becoming responsible for it, as you provide tools for illegal activity.

• @alex agreed

• NickWNickW Member
    edited October 2011

Provided you operate within the laws of your jurisdiction, running proxies is perfectly legal.

I run a network of web proxies getting almost 40,000 unique visitors per day in total.

• Proxies are legal. You do get some shady providers though that LOG all REQUESTS incase the americans complain and start sending silly DMCA's, I have never upheld a DMCA and never will.

• NickW said: Provided you operate within the laws of your jurisdiction, running proxies is perfectly legal.

I run a network of web proxies getting almost 40,000 unique visitors per day in total.

That's some nice income right there, do you host these proxies on VPS or dedicated servers?

As well, could you link to your site?
    If you want to keep your privacy you could pm me - I'd keep it secret.

Would really appreciate it, thanks in advance.