Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can someone explain about IP's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can someone explain about IP's

Hi.

This is a newbie question but I'm always confused about when people talk about IP's like /24 /27

I'm looking at https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/free-ips.xml right now and it says 256 ips is /24

What is the correlation between those two numbers, or the relation between 128 and /25.

In a conversation when someone writes /25 how am I supposed to know it means 128 ips.

Can someone please explain that.

Comments

• edited January 2015

2n - 2

"n" is the number of zeros in the subnet mask

(upper "n")

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2015

This may be a bit clearer, look down at the chart. But have a read, it's easy enough to understand.

http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/press-centre/understanding-ip-addressing

• /x means 2^(32-x) IPs

Thanked by 1Stacy
  • ovh is slightly different, you can have full use of the block, say /29 there'll be 8 IPv4s available when used with a ds. for other /29 blocks, you'll get to use only 5 IPv4 with a ds.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Depends how you're using the IPs. If you add the first IP of a /29 to a bridge interface, as an example you can use 5 IPs vor VMs and the first one is the gateway.

If you use routed mode for your VMs (example OpenVZ), you can use 8x /32 -> All IPs from the /29. But only if it's routed to your server.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited January 2015

ipv4 addresses are 32 bits. The number after the slash tells you how many ones there in the address counting from the left. So /24 = 24 ones. 32-24 = 8. So you have 8 binary digits that you can use to represent your subnet and 2 to the power 8 is 256. 2 of the IPs will likely be used for the gateway and broadcast address so that leaves 254 usable IPs.