Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Global latency benchmark
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Global latency benchmark

nasirbestnasirbest Member
edited January 2015 in General

I am looking for some kind of service / tools, to test provider network in term of latency (ping delay). I know that there are "ping" or looking glass if I am testing it from a single location. But how about if want to test a single IP from several locations ( from all over the world) ?

I found lg.he.net/ but they only allow three locations per test

Is there any thing better than that? free or paid service ? ( I want to use it for my website )

Comments

• Seoul server doesn't work on either Korean and non Korean servers...

• ozfingweozfingwe Member
    edited January 2015

problem with that is that they don't show you were they are pinging from, so a bad ping does not necessarily mean that the destination suffers from bad connectivity - could be the source as well.

Their Vienna location, for example, is not in an optimal location. Their ping times to VIX/ACOnet are about 50% higher than what you could normally expect, and latency to the East Coast from there is 10-20% worse than the typical latency Vienna/East Coast.

But yes, this is a nice tool no matter what :-)

• @ozfingwe said:

hm it worked pretty nice for my websites. The pings are pretty equal from my home connection AUT and from there Vienna location. My ISP seems to route nearly everything over Level3 except private peers.

• This sites been broken for me for a while, when I click 'start' it just refreshed? Is it only me?

• ozfingweozfingwe Member
    edited January 2015

sepei said: hm it worked pretty nice for my websites. The pings are pretty equal from my home connection AUT and from there Vienna location. My ISP seems to route nearly everything over Level3 except private peers.

Don't get me wrong, the tool is really nifty. Just have to look at more than the plain numbers. They could be using Telia or Cogent to reach several parts of the US East Coast from Vienna, looking at the latency, and judging from experience (no Level3 to the destinations I used as we are using Level3 there and know the latencies we get using it). Their VIX latencies are 0.5 to 1.0ms higher than they need to be - not that it matters much in absolute numbers, but it is a relatively high value given that most DCs in Vienna get 0.2 to 1.5ms latency to the VIX.

The tool would be awesome if they showed where from they are performing their tests - might help tune BGP filters or find in between issues a lot faster.

But still, nice tool.

• @Jono20201 said:

Same nothing happens at me too.

• @Jono20201 @themt

What I do is to switch to Check Website tab and see You can try this tool 5 more times today... ( may refresh )

Then switch back to Ping tab to do test.

Thanked by 2Jono20201 mint
  • @ozfingwe said:

Oh I dont watch at 1.x ms

• Jono20201 said: This sites been broken for me for a while, when I click 'start' it just refreshed? Is it only me?

A bit late to answer, but it works for me (only when using https though).

• HostAxaHostAxa Member
    edited January 2015

Heard about these free ones:
    SiteUptime,
    Websitepulse,
    Alertsite,

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Here's another: http://www.super-ping.com/

Thanked by 1nasirbest
  • We have several useful tools at solvedns.com. My favorite is the dns speed test. Let me know what you think! :)

Thanked by 1nasirbest
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

+1 for CloudHarmony(Example) and startping(Example).