Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone from the UK have an Odroid? Router/Gateway
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone from the UK have an Odroid? Router/Gateway

Used to use a Raspberry Pi before I got fibre which acted as a router/gateway for my home network - when the speed increased 10 fold the Pi was unable to keep up.

I saw a post on here about the Odroid and it looks as if it may be able to handle the faster connection and this is the sort of place where someone has already tried it I'm sure.

Also a VPN via the Rpi seemed horribly slow.

Comments

• Nope, I've used a Alix 2D3 in the past with pfSense, although the newer Alix APU might be more appropriate for higher speeds.

Currently using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite with 80/20 FTTC and a 50/3 cable backup.

• @dragon2611 said:
    Nope, I've used a Alix 2D3 in the past with pfSense, although the newer Alix APU might be more appropriate for higher speeds.

Currently using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite with 80/20 FTTC and a 50/3 cable backup.

Is it VDSL from the cabinet to your house? What modem are you using?

• For the VDSL, The Huawei HG612 (Openreach Modem).

I actually have 2, one untouched as supplied by Openreach when they installed the FTTC and one where I've unlocked it so I can get to the GUI and view the linestats.

It will depend on your ISP these-days as some now provide an all in one unit but it used to be that you had to have an engineer install and had to have the openreach modem. Which suits me fine as it provides an Ethernet interface for me to connect my ERL to.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @dragon2611 said:
    For the VDSL, The Huawei HG612 (Openreach Modem).

I actually have 2, one untouched as supplied by Openreach when they installed the FTTC and one where I've unlocked it so I can get to the GUI and view the linestats.

It will depend on your ISP these-days as some now provide an all in one unit but it used to be that you had to have an engineer install and had to have the openreach modem. Which suits me fine as it provides an Ethernet interface for me to connect my ERL to.

Nice, I need to get one of those modems from eBay and use with pfsense as the BT home hub is crap at NAT. All new installs are using the home hub 5 with built in modem.

• Might be worth trying to find out which cab your connected to, the other Openreach modem is the ECI Focus, harder to unlock but it used to be the case it played nicer with the ECI cabs.

That said you don't really have to unlock them unless you have a particular need to get linestats, as they're already setup to be a bridge and have the correct VLAN.etc configured for the openreach FTTC network.

With the newer firmware chip-set interopablity might be less of an issue these-days but in the early days they used to match the modem to the cab.

• How do you unlock them bud?

• The ECI's can be a bit of a pain and It depends which version you got, the orginal ones were just a reflash I think, The 2nd ones required a jtag onto the board. I'm not sure if the current ones can even been unlocked.

The huawei's used to be a lot easier, it was simply a case of holding reset and putting it into CFE mode at which point you could simply flash the firmware via a webbrowser but I've not done one recently so I don't know if they've since been locked down.