Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMBox.co - 180 days - Impressions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMBox.co - 180 days - Impressions

I will admit, at first I was extremely skeptical of VMBox.co since they originally offered services on HackForums. Someone has told me that they ended providing services after a dumb dispute on that forum where a bunch of skiddies thought that they could abuse the CPU 100% to mine bitcoins and launch DDoS attacks.

I took up their $20/yr 1GB OpenVZ offer in Los Angeles earlier last year to test the waters after that incident, and I've been very impressed.

There is a decent yet consistent network speed and great uptime. I've only ever had my VPS shut down once for routine maintenance, which I don't mind. I've been able to run Etherpad-Lite very well given the circumstances. I/O is a bit on the low side but it isn't really a big deal for 90% of people.

Support has been great for me. Steven and the rest of the support staff are generally prompt (generally 1-6 hours response), and they do have a bit of a no-bullshit policy that I really like. They're quick and to the point. They are however friendly though, don't get me wrong.

Quick benchmark:

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz
Number of cores : 2
CPU frequency : 1600.000 MHz
Total amount of ram : 1024 MB
Total amount of swap : 0 MB
System uptime : 31 days, 19:37,
Download speed from CacheFly: 32.9MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 17.9MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 39.9MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.26MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 3.89MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 42.7MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 11.0MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 47.8MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 69.7MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 30.4MB/s
I/O speed : 70.5 MB/s

Comments

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

Hi @Gunter,

Thank you for the review.

Could you open a quick ticket regarding the IO we're aware LA2 is pretty poor at the moment, I can have to moved to a re-provisioned node which has much better performance :-)

We're planning on decom'ing LA2 and re provisioning it soon. :-)

• Why does everyone think HackForums is bad? There are many non-related boards, like support for coding and stuff like that...

• @cassa said:
    Why does everyone think HackForums is bad? There are many non-related boards, like support for coding and stuff like that...

Because 90% of it involves kids who don't know what they're doing, constantly DDoS eachother with booters, grief on MInecraft, harbours those who enjoy causing mischief and think it's okay to creep on girls with RATs.