Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM, EU, midsize, reliable, flexible, $ attractive
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM, EU, midsize, reliable, flexible, $ attractive

bsdguybsdguy Member
edited January 2015 in Requests

Sorry for a boring thread but this isn't my world and my search starts to tire me.
Note: XEN is also acceptable if it runs BSDs flawlessly and without hiccups.

I have zoomed in on some offers in about this range:
1 high speed core (3.x GHz) or 2 cores ~ 2 GHz
| 2GB RAM
| 30 - 50 GB HD
| 2 or 3 TB traffic
| 2 IP4 + IPv6 net

Prices are in the 40 - 50€ range (yearly payment) which is OK. That's why I didn't say "cheap" but "$ attractive". My point isn't to squeeze for the last $/€. So if everything is right, 60€ would be OK, too.

I'm looking reliability rather than for hot benchmark scores.

Notes/Details/Remarks:
--- I definitely want 2 IP4, preferably in different /24 ranges.
--- I'm flexible on RAM. 1.5GB would be OK, too. An (otherwise) perfect VPS would be acceptable even with 1GB.
--- As for traffic, I never needed more than some 100GB. So, a smaller amount hand in hand with flexibility, say 500GB which could grow to xTB for a reasonable(!) price would be acceptable (for the right price).
--- Numbers (benchmarks) don't make me hot. I care about quality, though. So, a 100Mb port in a good network infrastructure is always preferred over a Gb port in a mediocre network.
--- As for HD, I insist on min. RAID 1. 10 is fine, too, of course. But: I don't care for SSD and am not willing to pay a premium for that. RAID 10'ed SAS are even preferred. 20GB are min. but 40 or 50GB are preferred.
--- I strongly prefer NL, IT, CZ, HU, Iceland. DE and SE would be acceptable. FR and UK are not acceptable (they don't care sh-t about digital rights). The provider himself should also be in one of those countries or anyway not in usa or uk.

The usage should be well within the AUP of pretty every provider. I hate spam, I'm not interested in bitmining, proxying, torrents, etc. About the "worst" that might ever be on that VPS would be some adult content.
For fairness sake I mention that, should I have considerable Bandwidth (3+ TB) I might host open source stuff.

I expect you to provide images of my choice (don't worry, nothing weird). Sth. like up to date FreeBSD or OpenBSD.

I hardly need any tech support or holding hands. I know my ways and things. But: If I need support then I expect it to be polite, interested, capable, and quick. This includes that you have an adequate self-understanding, i.e. that, no matter how big and great you are, you keep in mind, that you serve customers. (Don't take this lightly. This is the reason I don't look for promos of otherwise great providers like Prometeus).

If I'm happy, I'll make sure that many people know about it, in particular many, many BSD guys who are looking for a VPS.

If I don't know you yet and you're not a well known quality provider I expect you to accept what I call a "13 months year", i.e. I'll first sign up for a month to test (payed, of course but at the rate of an annual deal) and if I'm happy I'll sign up and pay front up for a full year.

Thanks for thinking about it and coming up with an attractive offer. Please note that I will prefer public offers but will also consider private offers.

Comments

• I didn't understand your post. You mean you don't want to use Prometeus? They do have some great offers

• You complain about privacy rights in UK/FR and want a server in Hungary which is THE dictatorship in the EU? Orban and his regime are daily threatening any freedom and logging is mandatory. This data is available WITHOUT court order to any agency under the national security laws. CZ is not much better either.

• Don't care about the name. I just wanted to make a point.
    I was a customer there some time ago and I was a very happy customer. Prometeus was great. From what I know, they are still among the finest providers in technical regard.

• @William said:
    You complain about privacy rights in UK/FR and want a server in Hungary which is THE dictatorship in the EU? Orban and his regime are daily threatening any freedom and logging is mandatory. This data is available WITHOUT court order to any agency under the national security laws. CZ is not much better either.

You are probably right (I don't know much about HU). But please, let's stay focussed on my request, OK.

You see, no matter how right you are, were do we want to stop? If I looked with sharp eyes at that matter, I'd need to host on the moon.

• 60/12 is 5EUR/Month - Very unlikely to happen in Europe, even more so with 2 IPs and KVM. Your best chance are KVM providers operating out of OVH or Hetzner.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

bsdguy said: If I looked with sharp eyes at that matter, I'd need to host on the moon.

You already list so many minute details, frankly I don't know who will have the time to sift through your enormous poorly formatted post to find you an offer which doesn't break any of the million inane requirements.

• I'm not in the habit of lying or playing smart games. If I said that there are such offers on the (virtual) table then because it's like that.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Your list of requirements is pretty unrealistic, to be honest.

Thanked by 1BuyAds
  • @rm_

You are right. I don't master markup and my post is poorly formatted. Apologies for that.

Blunt answer: Those providers who value their business and potential customers enough to not glance 3 sec. but read 30 sec.

Funnily, they will find that in the "too much to read" part there is room for maneuvering that brings my request very well within a common and reasonable frame.

• @Nyr said:
    Your list of requirements is pretty unrealistic, to be honest.

If that is so, then I have to adapt it. Unfortunately, a rather general and vage statement doesn't help me much in recognizing mistakes or unreasonable desires.

edited January 2015

My advice would be just get a f-cking Kimsufi dedi and stop being so picky about things. We have a saying, it's "as if you're buying a cow", i.e. taking your choice in buying something small way too seriously. If you made your list of precise requirements in hope that a provider will come here and bend themselves out of shape to satisfy your every wish, then you will only attract "providers" who are desperate enough to hunt for single highly custom (but still very cheap) orders on forums -- not a good sign as far as their general state of business is concerned.

Thanked by 1guitarfire
  • @bsdguy said:
    Don't care about the name. I just wanted to make a point.
    I was a customer there some time ago and I was a very happy customer. Prometeus was great. From what I know, they are still among the finest providers in technical regard.

I still don't understand if Prometeus is acceptable... sine you said you were a happy customer

anyway, maybe one of these?

http://www.prometeus.net/site/special-offers.php

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

bsdguy said: If that is so, then I have to adapt it. Unfortunately, a rather general and vage statement doesn't help me much in recognizing mistakes or unreasonable desires.

• 2x IPv4. Doable, but at that price point and in Europe, restricts your options badly.
    • 50GB of storage. Again, doable but restricts your options, specially if you want reliability.
    • Quick support. It depends on what "quick" means for you.
    • Provider based in the EU. Add another 2x % to the price (VAT)
    • Custom billing. You first want to pay a month and then expect to get some discount with yearly billing (personal attention).
    • Custom ISO. Sucks, but some of the cheaper KVM providers don't have this.

At this price point, and since you are restricting your countries based on some assumptions which aren't necessarily correct, I could suggest you to take a look at:

• CloudFlow: based in Italy. Good service, great prices.
    • iwStack: Italy too, from the Prometeus guys which are well known around here.
    • ArubaCloud: multiple locations around Europe, good service and prices.

They don't meet all your requirements but that's the best I could think of with your limited budget and expectations. Those are all providers I have experience with and I know for a fact they are really reliable. People will probably suggest you some new and cheaper providers from LET, but the fact is that they are most likely not very reliable in the long term (no offense, but that's it).

• Oh, @rm_

I humbly apologize for wanting something that at first glace looks somewhat outside of a thousand boring standard offers. I also humbly apologize for taking the insane liberty to specify my wishes in a way that is outside of "x RAM/y HD/z Tb" requests.

/sarcasm off

Funnily you demonstrate exactly what I dislike. E.g. the "sth. small". Well for me it's not small. For me the server where I house my domains, (some of) my work, maybe some clients ... ist not at a small issue. But OK, seen from an ignorant providers eyes it's just 1 in thousands chickenshit VPS.

Quite some comments here show me that some commenters have not even read my request (which is OK) but comment anyway (which is not OK).

Fact is that there are some providers out there who actually offer the specs I want. Are they stupid, unprofessional, soo belly up idiots? I don't think so.

So? Should I close my account here and just surf to lowendstock and f-cking shut up? Is that your attitude. Kindly tell me your brand name so as to never incidentially go there.

bsdguy said: Well for me it's not small. For me the server where I house my domains, (some of) my work, maybe some clients ... ist not at a small issue.

If you truly care about your domains, your work and your clients, you should instead automate your setup where at the click of one button all your configuration is restored from a backup or local copy and deployed to a new server and is up and running with all services set up and configured automatically in a matter of minutes.

Rather than looking for that single "perfect" VPS.

bsdguy said: Kindly tell me your brand name so as to never incidentially go there.

I do not represent or work for any provider.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2015

@Nyr said:
    2x IPv4. Doable, but at that price point and in Europe, restricts your options badly.

I know that's a somewhat hairy point. But there are some who offer that. And don't forget that I clearly said that I would't fight about some €.

50GB of storage. Again, doable but restricts your options, specially if you want reliability.

Well, I said 30 - 50 GB. There's quite some air in that. Not needing SSD might also help.

Quick support. It depends on what "quick" means for you.

15 min. 1 hour. Maybe 2. But not 10.

Provider based in the EU. Add another 2x % to the price (VAT)

VAT is of no concern (pricewise). I know that Europe has sh-tty high VAT.

Custom billing. You first want to pay a month and then expect to get some discount with yearly billing (personal attention).

Sorry, no. I understand a large mass providers view to hate everything that's outside the template. But actually what I ask is a standard 1 month test, payed and then a small deduction of the annual payment for the difference.
    Effectively this demands no major "custom invoicing" nor trust. If I'm not happy, I'll leave but I'll have paid full for the test month. If I'm happy I' stay and pay pretty much the annual price. It would be as if I had taken 13 (payed!) instead of 12 months.

Custom ISO. Sucks, but some of the cheaper KVM providers don't have this.

Frankly, a VPS provider that offers KVM but no Free or OpenBSD images is anyway not what I'm interested in.

Thanks for your feedback and the chance to clarify some points!
    And thanks also for the recommendations/links.

• Thank you! Some of those are quite nicely matching and they are doubtlessly of good quality.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2015

Ticket reply time is not the best, though, for Prometeus. Usually, if it is not down which we know and fix without a ticket if it is not a problem only for you (you probably will not be one of those people which leave the ISO on and then ask why the vps does not ping and is down after reboot even though the panel shows it online) the reply time might be quite a few hours. On the other hand we have 1000 days uptime on some servers, with 1 year pretty usual, now even Biz OVZ servers are at that point.
    We have freeBSD but the others might be outdated or not present. You should try the cloud, you look like able to manage it and you can load any ISO available on the internet. Besides having many features you may find interesting (www.iwstack.com). It is more expensive, though. I will give you a free trial, just pay the 30 Eur for an account and if you do not like it, you can request a full refund. The plain KVM is more stable though, cloudstack has some quirks, we are still ironing some bugs.