Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self hosted DNS Server - what is lightweight?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self hosted DNS Server - what is lightweight?

Hi,

I've run my own PowerDNS cluster (MySQL Backend) before but i've found it tends to be RAM heavy (usually 768mb VPS or upwards).

I'm curious to what others use and what the RAM usage is like. I'm looking at MaraDNS at the moment and wonder if its any decent? Seems very lightweight.

Thx

Comments

• A) for a DNS server THE criterium is standards compliance and reliability.
    B) Could you advise me, what vehicle I shall buy? To make it funny I won't tell you whether it's for international heavy transports or for my neighbours daughter to occasionally drive 3 kms to the beauty parlor.

Thanked by 2ATHK Pyr02k1
  • NSD4.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

PowerDNS + Percona MySQL shouldn't consume more than 200MB RAM

• PowerDNS + mySQL for master, then PowerDNS plus sqlite for nodes/slaves

Thanked by 1icry
  • SQL != lite.

And for most cases SQL isn't necessary either.

Sidenote: It seems to me that we should not put more effort into helping someone than he put into explaining his needs.

• you need to optimize Mysql. I am running Powerdns and mysql on 256 MB vps without any issue from last few months.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited January 2015

Knot (the authoritative server of .cz, lightweight and fast) or Yadifa (the authoritative server of .eu)

• Here's a chart that might help you.

http://url.ie/xnik

• OK, not always true but a good rule of thumb:

Don't step up any solution unless it needs to carry more than it weighs. For DNS servers this translates to: Don't step up to (or use from day 1) SQL unless your data weigh considerably more than the SQL server.
    In other words: a SQL based DNS server for anything less than tens of thousands of domains is nonsense. SQLite being an exception but even then you should have at least some thousand domains to manage. For registrars SQL is OK but for reasons of their business.

That said: Careful with DNS benchmarks. Knot even says clearly that root and TLDs were their aim (which is quite different from a typical hoster situation).

Knot is definitely worth a look. The Czechs have done some pretty amazing projects, particularly in the DNS area, and usually it's good stuff and well thought out.

Yadifa does not even offer documentation on their HP. I wouldn't trust it.

I'd go with NSD or Knot.

• @bsdguy said: I'd go with NSD or Knot.

Do you know if there is any GeoDNS or BIND Views like add-on for NSD4?

• From what I know, neither NSD nor Knot are split-view capable, sorry. That's the "problem" with DNS servers made mainly for root zones. They don't have a need for that.
    Assumed you know enough about DNS and programming you could, however, either add that functionality or build a front-end with the desired capability.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited January 2015

said: I'm looking at MaraDNS at the moment and wonder if its any decent? Seems very lightweight.

Yep maradns is very lightweight. Though it can only function as a master and it doesn't do DNSSEC.