Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

transfer VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

transfer VPS

sandozsandoz Veteran

is it possible to transfer a vps to another vps with the same specs?
i think with rsync, but can i trsnfer a complete vps with that? so also running programs etc?

Comments

• What type of virtualization? OpenVZ Or KVM?

You should be able to get your provider to get you a dump of an OpenVZ container.

Not sure about KVM as many things come into factor, maybe someone else can way in with that knowledge.

• On KVM you can copy everything to a disk image, boot your new VPS from a live cd and copy everything to the disk, then change network settings for the new IP.

On OpenVZ some providers will give you a vzdump file, or the contents of your VPS /vz/private bit.

Don't count on being able to restore all your files, and as with anything make sure you have good backups, then if anything fails restore from backups!

• openvz
    i wanted to transfer my buyvm from US to LU, but @fransisco doesn't do transfers

• just out of mind:

1. schedule maintenance
    2. close down as many services on the old and new VPS as possible, which could probably write to hdd while transferring (mail/mysql)
    3. rsync whole contents to new vps into an empty dir, don't forget to exclude /dev /proc /sys... and something like --partial --numeric-ids is helpful
    4. find and replace old IP with new IP in all files of rsynced /etc with something like
      find --type f -exec sed -i ...
    5. on new VPS move your folders one by one into the system, something like
      mv /etc /etc.bak && mv /newdir/etc /etc works fine for most of it (but don't move your /bin folders out of the way! ;-))
    6. reboot and if you're lucky everything works fine.

use on your own risk ;-)