Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP Websocket Server on VPS.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP Websocket Server on VPS.

DillybobDillybob Member
edited January 2015 in General

Does anyone run a PHP Websocket server on your VPS? If you do, can I get a s/s of your top command? With how many concurrent users?

In any event. I'm just curious if a VPS would be appropriate for a websocket server, or just go for a dedicated. (I guess you could say for a node.js server aswell). It just seems to me, it wouldn't be appropriate on a VPS as it might suck in alot of CPU resources.

Edit: I might buy a cheap VPS just to test the load/cpu usage, and get an idea of what kind of server I will need; but I want to hear your thoughts first.

Comments

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited January 2015

sign up to vultr and add $5 credit, then you can start up different VPSes (with different amounts of RAM), test it out and then destroy it and build another (you get billed by the hour at vultr)

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • MunMun Member

It depends on what you are doing.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

It depends on the number of users, how much data is being sent with the users, how much computation the application is doing, etc. WebSocket is only a protocol, and every server application will have unique resource usage. You should test the server on a dedicated computer under your control first (I assume you have a computer?), then find how much load it is using and plan accordingly; there's no reason to purchase a VPS just to test the CPU usage when you already have somewhere to test it (CPU performance for VPS varies a lot between providers/plans).

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited January 2015

Mun said: It depends on what you are doing.

It's pretty much a gameserver. It handles all inventory management item slot updates, skill tree updates, joining parties, attacking a monster, generating loot obtained from killing a mob, updating players health, inserting items into users inventory, equipping items, and all while piping data from the SQL server.

hostnoob said: sign up to vultr and add $5 credit, then you can start up different VPSes (with different amounts of RAM), test it out and then destroy it and build another (you get billed by the hour at vultr)

Thanks, I'll keep vultr in mind.

• @Dillybob said:
    Thanks, I'll keep vultr in mind.

Heh, Vultr.