Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runabove and windows 2003 server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Runabove and windows 2003 server

immyimmy Member

Dear All,
I have got windows 2003 r2 license but I think its iso might lack the newer drivers so how can I installed it on runabove instance. Any help regarding it? If anyone has a iso which has updated drivers I would appreciate if they can share. Also help will be greatly appreciated regarding installing windows 2003 server on runabove.
Thanks

Comments

• ReeRee Member
    edited January 2015

You don't install Windows on RunAbove, you install it locally using qemu, upload the hd image to RunAbove, and then launch an instance from there.

https://community.runabove.com/kb/en/instances/how-to-create-a-custom-image-for-runabove.html

I'm in the process of doing this now, and saving the image is taking forever (over 2 hours now). Not sure if it has stalled or if I should just give it more time...

Thanked by 1immy
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

2003 R2 extended support ends this year. It should not be used connected to the Internet anymore.

• @Ree thanks for the info. I will check this out and work on it. I think it would be better if you wait for the process to complete, might just complete in more time.

@MikHo yes I know that the support ends but I am only using this for a couple of months and nothing crucial will be running on it.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@immy said:
    MikHo yes I know that the support ends but I am only using this for a couple of months and nothing crucial will be running on it.

My stand is that I would never install it unless really needed since installing all updates since release would take longer then the actual install.

• ReeRee Member
    edited January 2015

6 hours later the image is finally out of the "Saving" state and available for use. But now trying to create an instance results in this error:

Error: Failed to launch instance "instance_name": Please try again later [Error: No valid host was found. ].

Googling seems to indicate this may mean there are no resources available to create a new instance of the requested size, so I'll have to try again in a little while to see if it goes away.

EDIT: After several attempts I gave in and deleted my existing instance, hoping that would free up the resources needed for a new instance, and it worked.

Doesn't help you with Windows 2003, but Windows 7 / 2008 R2 and up can have an image created VERY easily with this: https://github.com/cloudbase/windows-openstack-imaging-tools/

Thanked by 1immy
  • @Ree thanks for the help. I am looking into github