Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For movie fans how much BW do you consume for watching movies online ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

For movie fans how much BW do you consume for watching movies online ?

MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
edited August 2012 in General

Hello LET !

I need some advice on how much BW should a VPN have for comfortably watching say 2 movies a day.
From those ppl that use them to watch in US or UK.
M

Comments

• Well. Last month according to my traffic information i used the following for streaming

Netflix 6.44GB
    Lovefilm 1.72GB
    FTP Streaming 37.49GB
    HTTP Streaming (To Home NAS) 129.56GB
    Bittorrent 9.12GB

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited August 2012

I hit around 15GB a month through iPlayer.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • not too much, about 1GB Daily

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • HD can be about 2G per hour. Anyway, especially with netflix you'll never break 200GB, so any bandwith plan is fine. From europe, i'd select solely based on price, then pingtime.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

@averell said: Anyway, especially with netflix you'll never break 200GB, so any bandwith plan is fine.

I disagree and so do my charts (about 75% Netflix). :P

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • You leave it as TV in the background or something? Either way you watch too much TV. Also, i have a $5/quarter plan from SecureDragon which would of course be more than enough...
    Also unrelated, if you are in europe, get the OVH free dedi deal or some other canada IP, then you can sign up with non-US credit cards without entropay stealing your money. Then switch back to US of course.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • I don't have a chart, but atleast 160GB+ traffic goes through my network just on streaming and downloading / month.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Thank you all !
    M

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@averell said: You leave it as TV in the background or something?

We don't subscribe to cable and all of our TVs in our house are internet TVs so they've got Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Amazon, and a ton of channels/apps. We can't set the quality for things like Netflix so it streams in HD even with the QOS settings I have on our router. We'll regularly be streaming Netflix or Amazon on multiple devices in the house. I use Hulu for all my normal TV shows though.

• Hmm during the summer line up, under 1GB a day. When decent shows are on, around 2-3GB a day.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@liam said: I normally download most of my films from amazon, itunes etc at night time. Network speed increases and ISP doesn't give a damn how much I use.

I am sorry you have to to that... I remember the times when I was waking up at 3 AM to be able to play a game decently.
    Things have changed, but now I dont play games anymore :)
    For 10 Eur I have rock solid VDSL 30/6 any time of day and night, no matter location.
    M