Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to prevent server being used in SNMP amplification attack with sonicboxes.com script?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to prevent server being used in SNMP amplification attack with sonicboxes.com script?

linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
edited March 2015 in Help

Hello, one of my VPS's has been nullrouted by the datacenter for being used in an "SNMP reflection attack", how can I prevent the SNMP server on this server being used like this? I have also had another dedicated serve IP nullrouted by the same datacenter, but not at any other provider.

I have even edited the snmpd config as @kcaj suggested so only one IP is allowed, does anyone else have any ideas? I have used the script from https://www.sonicboxes.com/observium-client-install-script, and edited the config as follows (216.100.100.100 is the IP of my observium server, replaced for obvious reasons).

com2sec readonly  216.100.100.100         40pluscharacterstring
group MyROGroup v1         readonly
group MyROGroup v2c        readonly
group MyROGroup usm        readonly
view all    included  .1                               80
access MyROGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  all    none   none
syslocation Los Angeles, CA
syscontact *****@gmail.com
#This line allows Observium to detect the host OS if the distro script is installed
extend .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.7890.1 distro /usr/bin/distro

Your machine has been used as part of an SNMP reflection attack, and we have null routed the source IP xx.xx.xx.xx. We will continue to monitor this situation, the null route may remain in place for up to 4 hours. Restricting access to your SNMP enabled devices can help prevent this issue from occurring.

Comments

• iptables port 161, only allow access from individual IPs that need to have access.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2015

Just use iptables to lock that port down, to that IP if something dosent works.

I have nearly the same config as you, never had any issues or something like that.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited January 2015

Jack said: Did CC nullroute you?

Yes, both times on CC :(

Infinity580 said: Did you tried to turn it on and off again after adding the IP limit?

I restarted snmpd, and restarted the server since this happened.

I will try iptables, thank you all.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2015

vi /etc/hosts.deny

SNMPD: ALL

>

vi /etc/hosts.allow

SNMPD: 192.168.1.50

SNMPD: {ip allowed to make requests}

SNMPD: {ip allowed to make requests}

Done.

Cheers!