Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Licensing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Licensing

Hello,

I know I probably should ask that question at SolusVM help, and I did that but they made me confuse even more. Most of their "Pre Sales" support seems to just ignore what I am really asking.

So since most you hosts here use it, may be you can give me some help.
I am not a host myself (don't even have such plan). I have one dedicated server and I need to create 4 VPSs on it to better isolate my own projects.

So if I get their Master License (i.e. $10/month) I can create as many OpenVZ VPSes as I want.
But I want to use KVM ... (Mainly because I will be able to keep CDP backups for each VPS, also better isolation)

What licensing I need to host 4 KVM VPS on one Dedicated server??

Do I need to have their "Slave Only Master License" ($2.50) to Manage all 4 KVMs and then get their ""Mini Slave - $5.00/Month"" ??? If so, where to place "Slave only Master" ??

Or do I just need "Mini Slave" license.

See the confusion ?? May be they should have named it differently or have a better way to explain to new users like me. :(

Thanks

Comments

• Steven_FSteven_F Member
    edited January 2015

Edit: Get the Slave Only Master License with 1 x Mini Slaves add-on.

You're going to need to install the Slave Only Master on a VPS. Then, you'll need a second server for the KVM VPS. This will cost you $7.50 a month + the VPS + the dedicated server.

Thanked by 2tomsfarm MASK
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited January 2015

Get any cheap VPS for master & install slave license on the dedicated server you wish create vps.

• Is SolusVM a must have? There are cheaper, yet better solutions...as well as free Proxmox

• I buy the $2.50 license (the master / slave only, dont remember which its called) then put new slaves in the addons at $10 a server.

It is somewhat confusing if you are starting out, it took us a few weeks to get the right licenses sorted as Solus support were not amazingly clear.

• Go with virtualizor, thair friendly support will install everything for you.

• @Steven_F said:
    Edit: Get the Slave Only Master License with 1 x Mini Slaves add-on.

You're going to need to install the Slave Only Master on a VPS. Then, you'll need a second server for the KVM VPS. This will cost you $7.50 a month + the VPS + the dedicated server.

That's what I thought. But their pre sales support was just too busy copying stuff from main site :(

Slave Only Master can be installed on any VPS with any provider?? Or it needs be one of the VPS created on the box?? (And if it can be any VPS hosted else where, what kind of spec it should have?)
    Anything to consider with this ?? (Like ping time. network delay etc)

• @OnraHost said:
    Is SolusVM a must have? There are cheaper, yet better solutions...as well as free Proxmox

Well it is not a must have. But the way I see it, it is a better supported one. At least when OnApp is behind them, they must be doing something good.
    I hear new version is going to be really awesome ... :)

Also as I said, I am not a host and don't even plan on doing that. I just need panel that works for me and support that is always there to assist. (Because I will need a lil hand holding in start)

• @MASK said:

VPS with any provider.

• @MASK said:
    Anything to consider with this ?? (Like ping time. network delay etc)

Slave only master can be installed anywhere. We for example have it completely isolated on its own Ramnode VPS.

As for spec, it runs fine (ish) on a 128MB VPS but really you are probably better off on a bigger one (256 or 512 really)

Thanked by 1MASK
  • @SNetworks1 said:
    As for spec, it runs fine (ish) on a 128MB VPS but really you are probably better off on a bigger one (256 or 512 really)

Thanks for the info.

• I recommend TheSkySpace when their site is back up, we use them for a budget OpenVZ server which you could host the panel on.

But I know where your coming from with the licensing wording which is what I try to improve when doing our site (name wise).

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited January 2015

@MASK said: (...) I am not a host myself (don't even have such plan). I have one dedicated server and I need to create 4 VPSs on it to better isolate my own projects. (...)

For own use, suggest you try Virtualizor instead. Consider SolusVM only if you plan to sell VPS hosting.