Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another poor(?) DD result on a premium host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another poor(?) DD result on a premium host

TazTaz Member
edited August 2012 in Reviews

HawkHost->Super plan (60/mo?)

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 21.0708 seconds, 51.0 MB/s

16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 23.2786 seconds, 46.1 MB/s

16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 19.8727 seconds, 54.0 MB/s

Seriously, 5$ ovz does better than that!

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

If it is stable speed.. It is more than enough for everything. (Except I guess some highly intense mysql db, which would have gotten a dedi anyway).

• TazTaz Member

It is great but below LEB standard for that price.

My shitty 6 year old dell box does better than that and that is with a server filled with 30 vps.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Ask for node switch, might be abuser. For that price they for sure must be running enterprise grade hdd in raid 10.

• TazTaz Member

Even our Student plan does more than 80mb/s
    That is with regular WD black Sata.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

HawkHost support is good. I'm sure they'll sort you out ;) I've never had a VPS from them but have had various shared plans..

-d

• TazTaz Member

Not my vps, Just a clients I do some part time tech $hits.

@NinjaHawk said: Not my vps, Just a clients I do some part time tech $hits.

Should put him on your nodes if you don't like it, lol. :) Constructive advice FTW.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • TazTaz Member

@dominicl said: Should put him on your nodes if you don't like it, lol. :) Constructive advice FTW.

He was hosting with them for years before ninja rolled out. I will give him a call tomorrow. Thanks :)

• @NinjaHawk said: below LEB standard

What's LEB standard?

• TazTaz Member

@Damian You know the average XXX

@NinjaHawk said: He was hosting with them for years before ninja rolled out. I will give him a call tomorrow. Thanks :)

Ah right, OK. They are pretty good for shared and stuff - helpful and all

Thanked by 1Taz
  • @NinjaHawk there's no "standard" I think you're completely missing the point of LEB/LET. It's about lowendboxes performing and functioning, fair enough, you can get some SSD with 128MB of ram and 100GB b/w from Prometeus in Italy for like 15E/year -- Nothing right? That doesnt mean you have to start slating these "premium" hosts, we're just regular joes, we're not here to make a different to the entire world, and get everybody using LEB's -- that's the providers job, to advertise.

Not trying to be nasty here, but you seem to be quite naive when it comes to these sorts of things Ninja.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • TazTaz Member

It is not being naive, all those post I see here that complains about dd speed, <100mbps and people come complaining while paying barely a bit more than morning coffee. While people are paying almost 40-60 or even more and get lower performance (Not bad but lower) and barely complains. Is it just because provider X charges a fortune so they are great while provide y charges penny so they are junk?

This just bothers me a bit too much. Thats all nothing much.

• Care to name a few, that actually have some relevance? And are actually "affecting" day to day performance? @Ninjahawk.

Might I ask where you're getting your servers from? Is it WiredTree perhaps? Their managed dedicated servers?

• TazTaz Member

Anything <40mb/s is perfectly fine for average day to day task. I have never complained but simply stating my opinion.

I guess you have never followed any of my promotions nor ever visited my website or else you would have never asked me about where I am getting those servers nor my business is a one mans show. But ya watever. Troll me as much as you like:)

• You're taking this a little too seriously, I just did a reverse whois, and saw WiredTree as the IP of your ns.* subs (Something i'd assume you'd have linked to a dedi!). I've visited your site, I commented on your initial design, it's great.

Honestly, like, a user like myself all I generally care about is the ability to host a small website, or file mirror, and general BASH experience.

I know this isnt really relevant, and it's quite shady of me to even pull this one, but why did you register your domain with an elephant killer?

• @avanti what makes you assume this?

• maybe LEA can explain that for you..

Thanked by 1Taz
  • TazTaz Member

Lol elephant killer? Godaddy never did wrong to me. While many people do not like godaddy, for domain, they have never disappointed me. I have domains with godddy, namecheap, register.com, enom and some other places. Godaddy was my first register (Started using them about 7/8 years ago) , so you can say it is like the first love, you never forget :).

Our website is hosted on WiredTree Vps. Well, lets be frank, It is a general practice to not to use same network for everything. And they do offer 100%(?) network unptime so I know that any of my clients won't be left in dark while something goes bad.

• TazTaz Member

@avanti said: are you seriesn over at WHT by any chance?

Seriesn= Nahian = The main owner = Owns multiple Family business =My cousin.
    NinjaHawk= Taz = Part time host = full time working for a multi-state firm, technically do not own any business.

• http://bit.ly/Tac1hO <--- Elephant killer.

You're right, I was foolishly signed up with Hostgator for my main webserver, next time, it will be a Linode VPS. Something I've heard of, and never heard of having "a problem" as such.

Wouldnt it make sense if everything was in the same place, domain wise? Saves remembering 5 passwords for 5 domain sites. and allows easier "reminder" filtering if you're just getting it from *@namecheap.com and not all the rest.

• TazTaz Member

@eastonch Like other LEB members, I like to save some money as well :). So I go for any promotion/offer that I get. Plus some one once told me, don't deposit all your money at the same bank under the same account :)

• I think i'd prefer moral over savings when it comes to that case. I've never had a GD account/domain, and never will after hearing about that.

internet.bs is only ~$8/year :] NameCheap had this 6 for $6 last year, I picked up quite a few domains then, some I havent even used yet.

And you're right. You have multiple accounts, each with different figures, I have one which my main pay goes into, then I have standing orders which automatically shuffle money around my banks so I know that every two fridays, how much money each account will always have, and my savings just build. Never touched.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • TazTaz Member

I do understand the moral issue. While it also differs on how you look at it.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/31/bob-parsons-godaddy-ceo-elephant-hunt_n_843121.html

To some = Animal Killer,
    To some = Village Saver.

Lets not bring emotion here please. I have 1$ domains from godaddy with a recurring 5$ (special discount from their sales team). Thats not bad at all either :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Those results are fine if consistent, but I would agree that they're one good abuser away from not ok. In that event, are they quick enough to catch it? That is what I would want to know.

• TazTaz Member

@jarland said: abuser

Leb users with their DD test should kill em :)

• True, lets leave it at that.

Thanked by 1Taz