Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OnePlus One Users?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OnePlus One Users?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I've been using a Nexus5 for about a year now, and I quite like it, except for the horrible battery life. Cannot understand why Google choose such a small battery (or why even with project "Volta" they cannot match Apple's battery life).

Alas, I'm looking at phones that have larger batteries so I can actually make it through a day. One phone I am considering is the OnePlus One. Any one have opinions of it?

Comments

• It is literally the best phone ever. I sometimes forget about charging it at all, and have had two days worth of battery on one single charge (no drip charging throughout the day).

Speed wise, it runs everything on the highest setting. Multitasking is a breeze. The screen is crystal clear and solid. The build quality is absolutely brilliant, with the whole structure being locked down and tight, no bending or malleable parts.

It comes in a box you'd expect expensive jewelry to come in. Let that speak for itself.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

^

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • blackblack Member
    edited January 2015

-1 hr 45 minutes of screen on time

- wifi, 4G, bluetooth, NFC are always on, screen set to auto brightness

I've had it for 5+ months now. It's a pretty solid device.

Thanked by 1Quinten
  • I recently switched to it because my LG G2's camera sucked. I am more than impressed with this phone.

Runs anything you throw at it fine and the battery life is a beast, with moderate to heavy usage i can make it two days without charging.

The screen is insanely good, didnt even regret not getting the LG G3 (With 4k display) instead of this.

If you have an invite, go for it!

• Anyone has global invite, really want to grab 1.

• I care about battery life more than anything, so I bought an external charger and batteries for my 3 years (now 3.5 years) old phone. Battery dead -> insert charged battery -> continue. If the 1+1 had an easily replaceable battery I probably would have bought it.

• I get about 2 days on a charge, solid phone. Well worth the $349

• blackblack Member
    edited January 2015

4n0nx said: If the 1+1 had an easily replaceable battery I probably would have bought it.

The decision to make a non-replaceable battery was due to factor and capacity. They said if they use a removable battery, it'd add too many components and the phone would be thicker and they can't do a 3000+ mah battery, only a 2,500 one. I think the trade off is worth it. You can replace the battery yourself with this tutorial. It looks pretty simple, unlike some companies that solders the battery on the device.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • black said: They said if they use a removable battery, it'd add too many components and the phone would be thicker and they can't do a 3000+ mah battery, only a 2,500 one. I think the trade off is worth it. You can replace the battery yourself with this tutorial.

I have not charged my phone for months, why would I buy a phone that I need to charge? I don't know how thin the 1+1 is, but I am completely fine with the thickness of phones with a replaceable battery.

• blackblack Member
    edited January 2015

Oh, since there's a few OnePlus One users here, you should prevent google play services from leeching your battery if you haven't done so already.

Settings -> privacy -> google play services -> set keep awake to "denied". I even denied "wake up".

• My Nexus 5 used to have horrible battery life until I uninstalled the Facebook Messenger app.

I use the Facebook App now for messaging ppl.

My phone lasts about 1.5 days now without charge.

I just talk/sms/message ppl/browse the web, etc.. Don't play games on my phone.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Got mine back in July and love it. It was one of the most powerful / feature-rich phones out at the time (and in many regards still is). An unlocked phone at $349? It was a no-brainer for me.

• @sonic said:
    Anyone has global invite, really want to grab 1.

@netomx?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@hostnoob said:
    netomx?

All 6 expired :(

A friend have one, if he's interested, I can ask him

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • Overall for the price the OnePlus One is a good option.

I upgraded from a Nexus 4 to OnePlus One so not exactly the same but there might be some similarities. The most noticeable upgrade is the battery life which is close to double that of the Nexus 4 which means light use can go two days without charging and heavy use should at least last all day. The screen is bigger which is great too, but comes with the yellowish tint at the bottom although it goes away with time.

I don't really notice an increase in performance, as the Nexus 4 is pretty fast. OnePlus One is actually less smooth when comparing scrolling but it's not really noticeable once you get used to it.

As for Cyanogen, you get more features compared to Nexus stock but it's not as stable and you will likely notice a few bugs here and there.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited January 2015

@jbiloh said:
    I've been using a Nexus5 for about a year now, and I quite like it, except for the horrible battery life. Cannot understand why Google choose such a small battery (or why even with project "Volta" they cannot match Apple's battery life).

Alas, I'm looking at phones that have larger batteries so I can actually make it through a day. One phone I am considering is the OnePlus One. Any one have opinions of it?

The Nexus 5 is a really good phone but you can't compare an apple to an orange.

• The Nexus 5 has a retail of $350
    • The Screen is bigger (CPU and GPU have more pixels to push)
    • The Nexus 5 has a sh*t ton of LTE/HSPA Bands
    • The screen is a full 1080P Panel
    • They stuck a powerful CPU with a small gas tank

The Nexus 6 on the other hand is like $600 (give or take), according to reviews it's about the same battery as an iPhone 6 plus and a Samsung Galaxy Note 4

$350 VS $700 (Let that sit for a bit)

I can say however the OnePlusOne is about the same price point as the Nexus 5, It's a better choice but for me it's hard to get it.

Overall
    OneplusOne

• Same price point as Nexus 5
    • Quick and nimble updates

I would recommend it (If I can buy one)

• DrJinglesMDDrJinglesMD Member
    edited January 2015

I own one, and the best way I can describe it to potential buyers is "Expect a $350 phone, anything else is just icing on the cake"

I haven't had any issues with mine, but others have. Don't pay peanuts and expect something other than monkeys to show up. Same concept :P

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Are any of you running cm12 yet?

• @jbiloh said:
    Are any of you running cm12 yet?

Obviously not an official build but yes I am running a nightly from Mid December. Rather stable, only had a few force closes on old apps.

They're close to stable now aren't they?

• @jbiloh said:

Not 100% sure, took me a while to find a compromise between the new stuff and stable stuff. I haven't looked at the recent nightlies but I know Cy and O+ had an interesting debate (read falling out) regarding the India market. Not sure how that would/could affect the release. Most of the later Dec nightlies are rather stable though.

• When I tried CM 10.3 and 11 stable for my phone it was quite buggy as well. :(

• One of my favorite phones so far! Unfortunately just had 3 invites expire yesterday :(

0xdragon said: I sometimes forget about charging it at all

I did this too, and accidentally let it die completely out. It is a B**ch to get back up if you let it die 100%!

@jbiloh said:

All the Lollipop builds I've tried so far have been pretty stable. Shouldn't be long before we get an official cm12S! :-)

• I got a one plus, Have to say its an amazing phone, Only issue i would say is loud speaker echoing, But that is it. The phone in general is just a great design size, and experience.

• Seems to have a decent battery life on it. Using it with Wi-Fi, Mobile Data, Spotify and pushing emails as they are downloaded, it rarely goes under 50% after a days usage. If your planning on using it all day with a lot of applications / services running, I cant see as you will have any battery life issues.

• I really like my OnePlus, I've only started having a problem now and again with random reboots while I'm on my own WiFi at home(rarely), but found out that a factory reset could help this.

• I've had mine for a good while, and I love it. Battery life on mine was really poor, but that was due to the Cyanogenmod release I was running. After updating that and tweaking things a bit I can go a few days with fairly light usage.

It's really quite nice to have a screen this size. It took some getting used to carrying a phone this large but it's worked itself out. I held my iPhone 5 the other day and it amazed me how small it felt after getting used to the OnePlus One.

I really can't say I'd want a different phone. My experience with the OnePlus One has been great. I'll probably continue to use it until it dies on me, since it suits all of my needs.

• @jbiloh: Just give the iPhone a try :P What do you have to lose?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh I've had one for about 6 months now and to echo what's been posted, its one of the best android devices on the market today.

Its incredibly cheap too!

As for cm12, I gave it a go and while its somewhat stable there are still a couple things broken. The only noticeable thing I've seen is you cannot record video on the camera with cm12.

Has CM indicated on their forum yet when CM12 will be considered stable? I know the nightly releases are coming out almost daily so that's good to see progress but I have to make sure my phone works reliably.