Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated 1 Core KVM VS 4 vCPU sharing OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated 1 Core KVM VS 4 vCPU sharing OpenVZ

2Neutron2Neutron Member
edited January 2015 in General

Well I got an unscheduled server reboot last night. Went over the 2.1 load average for 2 hours!

Started to use a translation plugin on a few sites (Wordpress). It translates at the time of posting as well as rewrites urls with pretty links / permalinks. So the bots had a field day and crawling, in addition to a surge in traffic to one of the sites. I cant imagine not keeping the translation on track for the future.

So i need more horse power to do so. This is a non profit endeavor so I chose a provider with great rates!

I am wondering if a dedicated CPU core will be a better solution than having 4 vCPU's.

I mean performance and not value. The only upside I can see is that I will not go over fair share but will a single core at 3.3GHz do me if I am so close to a average load of 2.00

Comments

• Honestly, it depends on your application. Some applications benefit greatly from multithreading, others work perfectly happily with just one core.

In your case, it depends on your provider. Many providers, such as Ramnode, give you access to multiple cores, but limit the load you can generate (1.0 for 4 cores). This is not good for your application. Other providers give you a whole core dedicated to you, but your application will not be able to benefit from multithreading.

• I am using using wordpress on LEMP

@0xdragon said:
    Honestly, it depends on your application. Some applications benefit greatly from multithreading, others work perfectly happily with just one core.

In your case, it depends on your provider. Many providers, such as Ramnode, give you access to multiple cores, but limit the load you can generate (1.0 for 4 cores). This is not good for your application. Other providers give you a whole core dedicated to you, but your application will not be able to benefit from multithreading.

• @2Neutron said:
    I am using using wordpress on LEMP

This is for you to decide :)

• Why a hollow vapid reply cpt. Obvious.

@0xdragon said:

• @2Neutron said:
    Why a hollow vapid reply cpt. Obvious.

If you don't want my help then you can go hire someone. Don't expect me to waste my time on someone who is ungrateful and rude.

Thanked by 3ATHK jar jamson
  • What Help? You point out the obvious yet do not address the subject matter.

Thanks? OK Thanks. Capt .

@0xdragon said:
    If you don't want my help then you can go hire someone. Don't expect me to waste my time on someone who is ungrateful and rude.

• @2Neutron said:
    What Help? You point out the obvious yet do not address the subject matter.

You're going to get no where with that attitude. Go pay someone who will put up with it. He addressed your question... Go use Google to find out if you'll benefit from one or the other. Maybe you should consider finding a good shared host since you're obviously not willing to put in much effort on the side of learning what you really need.

• Please if you cannot stick to the subject matter please express your un founded assertions somewhere it may be appreciated, not here.
    Thanks

Pyr02k1 said: You're going to get no where with that attitude. Go pay someone who will put up with it. He addressed your question... Go use Google to find out if you'll benefit from one or the other. Maybe you should consider finding a good shared host since you're obviously not willing to put in much effort on the side of learning what you really need.

>

• @2Neutron said:
    What Help? You point out the obvious yet do not address the subject matter.

when we look at practical aspects of hardware, you'll know for a fact dedicated 1 core isn't logical, for instance, intel xeon 4 core processor with hyperthreading, 8 vcores, which means the server will have only max. 8 KVM instances. Possible?

• Hey guis

I need help but I'm going to act like a total twat and expect you to answer me.

Kthxbye..

Thanked by 30xdragon jar Pyr02k1
  • Still thinking Dedicated 1 Core KVM better than 4 vCPU sharing OpenVZ

Thanked by 12Neutron
  • If you'd get one dedicated core with >6000 bogomips, it would do the job.

• @mustafaramadhan said:
    Still thinking Dedicated 1 Core KVM better than 4 vCPU sharing OpenVZ

it all depends ;)

Thanked by 12Neutron