Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

See reason why iptables is blocking someone
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

See reason why iptables is blocking someone

drmikedrmike Member
edited October 2011 in General

I was kind of joking about how much blocking iptables was doing but I noticed that my messages file was over 5 megs in size so I'm sitting here with a tail on my /var/log/messages file and it's nothing but "iptables denied" messages.

With lots of:

Oct 15 21:45:26 vps vmunix: [161283.176386] iptables denied: IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=blah SRC=175.137.20.25 DST=blah LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=121 ID=5556 PROTO=TCP SPT=1606 DPT=6914 WINDOW=16384 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Is there any way too tell why a connect is being blocked? Google'ing for keywords doesn't pull up anything right off.

Using Debian 6 on Xen for reference.

thanks

Comments

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited October 2011

drmike said: SPT=1606 DPT=6914

Are these ports open or closed in your rules?

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited October 2011

They should be closed but I'm getting a response on one of them. Gone to look....

edit: Got it. Never mind. :whistle:

• Well?

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited October 2011

For whatever reason, the changes I made to /etc/iptables.up.rules when I reinstalled rtorrent on the last reinstall didn't take.

When I looked up the ports to see what program or script used that port, it was clear what the issue was.

edit: Did a reboot just to make sure. Sitting here with a tail on messages again to see what shows up.

• Hmmm, no good. This is correct for iptables, right?

# Allow mud port 7500
    -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 7500 -j ACCEPT

# Allow bittorrent
    -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 6890:6999 -j ACCEPT

• Looks right to me but make sure that rtorrent is configured to use those ports as well.