Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Memory usage of 50MB openvz VPS from prometeus
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Memory usage of 50MB openvz VPS from prometeus

subinsubin Member
edited August 2012 in Help

Hi,
Is it normal?

# ps aux USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 1 0.0 1.2 2028 648 ? Ss 09:57 0:00 init [2] root 2 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 09:57 0:00 [kthreadd/798] root 3 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 09:57 0:00 [khelper/798] root 481 0.0 0.9 2084 492 ? Ss 09:57 0:00 /usr/sbin/dropbear -d /etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key -r /etc/dropbear/dro root 1038 0.1 2.1 2400 1104 ? Ss 10:23 0:00 /usr/sbin/dropbear -d /etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key -r /etc/dropbear/dro root 1039 0.0 1.0 1744 516 pts/0 Ss 10:23 0:00 -dash root 1046 0.0 1.7 2348 912 pts/0 R+ 10:24 0:00 ps aux
# free -m total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 50 38 11 0 0 33 -/+ buffers/cache: 4 45 Swap: 50 0 49

I remember i have 64MB openvz VPS in the past (2-3 years ago). With processes like that, it only consume +-10MB of RAM. But, i might be wrong.

Comments

• Try Minstall,it should reduce the memory usage.
    I use it to host bsie.net, and it's less than 32mb.
    Have you rebooted your vps?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I see 45mb free, what is the issue?

Thanked by 2subin Inglar
  • You are using 4MB, there's nothing wrong with that, its actually good.

Thanked by 2subin rm_
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@subin said: Is it normal?

I think you have a very minimal setup with linux doing what it's intended to do: use the ram for something :)

If you are doing this for help us save ram, you can also turn the vps off. It will be very appreciated :P

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Another one...

Thanked by 1rm_
  • krokro Member

Glasses could be a fix for this, otherwise your just reading it wrong as mentioned ^_^

• subinsubin Member
    edited August 2012

@jarland said: I see 45mb free, what is the issue?

>

Just realized that current openvz have swap and also use buffer/cache.

• PatsPats Member

@prometeus said: you can also turn the vps off. It will be very appreciated :P

trying to fleece a customer huh! :P

its more appreciated if you turn the vps to me.. :D

• @MrLawoodle said: You are using 4MB, there's nothing wrong with that, its actually good.

Thanks,
    It is very long time since last time i use openvz, back when linuxatemyram.com only valid for Xen. And there is no KVM provider.

• let's pool our 50mbs together and create an iperweb fansite =)

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@subin True. Quite a bit about how memory management is presented inside the container changed with .32 and vSwap. Much closer to the behavior of true virtualization.

• PatsPats Member

@jcaleb said: let's pool our 50mbs together

Superb!! message me your login details... :D

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited August 2012

@jarland said: @subin True. Quite a bit about how memory management is presented inside the container changed with .32 and vSwap. Much closer to the behavior of true virtualization.

My Java App on OVZ with vswap seems eating the same amount of RAM when on a normal OVZ with burst. Is it because it's Java and not friendly regardless of .18 or .32?

edit:
    with same setup, having tomcat + 1 java webapp
    KVM: 400mb
    ChicagoVPS: 650mb+
    Iperweb: 650mb+

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Java is notoriously aggressive towards OVZ. Some network features dont even work.
    OVZ is not recommended for Java (look who's talking, me which run it on OVZ...)
    M

• @Maounique said: Java is notoriously aggressive towards OVZ. Some network features dont even work.

OVZ is not recommended for Java (look who's talking, me which run it on OVZ...)

I'm really tempted to deploy a production java webapp on my iperweb OVZ because i could really feel its speed against kvm. i'll just do database and display html, which works now. so it should be safe right?

It would, but will look like using more memory. In case it does heavy io too (database, hint-hint), might not be ok for the host.
    But Prometeus has solid fiberchannel-san infrastructure, if you are not really-really bad, should be OK.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited August 2012

@Maounique said: It would, but will look like using more memory. In case it does heavy io too (database, hint-hint), might not be ok for the host.

But Prometeus has solid fiberchannel-san infrastructure, if you are not really-really bad, should be OK.
    M

Thanks, I'll use it then =) Memory should be no problem, iperweb plans have generous memory. for IO, it would be a very low traffic site.

Edit:

Will IO be different if I use KVM? Or is it because KVM have less number of VPS on it?

KVM cannot go bezerk and abuse io so heavy as OVZ because it is limited by the virtualization. Most of the time the processor will be dead long before the io will go through the roof on the node. It is much better isolated from the rest of the server, while OVZ shares the disk io directly with the host and one container can cause huge problems to the whole node.
    That being said, there can be problems with KVM too, depends on the configuration.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited August 2012

Thanks man. Now I'm on square one again. Don't know if to use 3GB OVZ or 1GB KVM.

But I did learn so much from what you said.

If that is your intended usage, go with the ovz. It is lighter overhead and will be much faster.
    M

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • I think he has installed minstall, but the newer one with dropbear instead of that other ssh server.

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited August 2012

This, lets not let this forum degrade into WHT :P

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@yomero said: Another one...
    @Zen said: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    @serverbear said: lets not let this forum degrade into WHT

It seems like various spam/troll/offtopic/non IT.. threads are better accepted than those related to LEB today... So what if he asked? He + few other readers know more now. And if all this was explained already - it's not hard to overlook relevant thread among all other crap on those pages today. We're all learning. Don't be elitist...

Helping other people takes patience. It's better not to answer a question than to use the opportunity to emphasize the limitations of the person you're trying to help. (2002 – 2012 by Peer-Directed Projects Center)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited August 2012

@serverbear said: This, lets not let this forum degrade into WHT :P

Very sorry if some of us are not as technical as you are. Some of us came here to learn more about Linux and how to use LEBs more effectively.