Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Naughty Users list
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Naughty Users list

vijaivijai Member
edited January 2015 in General

Hello there,
This is my first time posting here. I have a nice vps from nodeserv and a small vps from nano vz. I bought my nano vz today and found out all of a sudden that it was suspended coz of some idiot that goes by the name "vijay" in here who apparently is an email spammer. Well they saw my name and were convinced that i was the same guy and suspended my account without even asking me a question. In a country as big as India, the name vijai is so common that it is almost a blind and irrational thing to go to such conclusion. Anyway I answered the ticket and said i am in fact not the same "vijay".

Before i could even post my reply it was un suspended which was nice. Still it would have been much better if there was a naughty user list shared among all the providers signed up here to avoid such hasty decisions. Being hasty is a good way to loose a good amount of users.

{ Edit : The issue was almost immediately fixed. This was mostly posted as an awareness thingy and nothing more. Internet always wins. }

Thanked by 2Asim rm_

Comments

• WOW. Just.. wow.

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
  • Well, that's not great, is it. Disappointing behaviour.

• :-P

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited January 2015

Would they have done the same if the spammer was named John and another user named John signed up?

• They take the phrase small world quite literally.

FraudRecord is kind of a naughty users list...

• Wow that pretty sad to see. A provider should definitely not jump to conclusions like this.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    1. A spammer rarely uses real name or pays with own account. If you screen out mismatches between name, location and paypal name you already remove 50% of attempts;
    2. You cannot really fight spam by screening out customers, some will be more clever, after some point you begin having way too many false positives, just make sure you can mitigate and promptly remove the spammers. If they get suspended withing a few minutes and not given another chance to "retrieve backups" they will not try again.
      We have 0 restrictions regarding blocked or limited ports yet have very little spam incidents, usually due to old customers which are hacked (using WP or kloxo/zpanel) Due to low rate coming from some of those (using php mail function) it may take a while until there are blocklists which show the IPs, otherwise our alerts are raised in the first minutes.
    Thanked by 2netomx Dylan
  • Perhaps. If John's middle name is "Leroy" they might be, uh, checking his credit worth before letting him use the service ^^

You never know.

Anyway, sad to hear about your experience. That's just plain bad.

@Abdussamad said:
    Would they have done the same if the spammer was named John and another user named John signed up?

• But it was activated right back in 2 minutes which was good. Still keeping a list of abusers (information more than just a name) would help them.

• This is really deplorable and disgusting. Smells of racist attitude.

Thanked by 2TinyTunnel_Tom ATHK
  • This is my bad.

100% my fault. I accept this was wrong and unacceptable. However I am not racist or discriminative.

This action was completed incorrectly and has been recified.

It was a simple check which I had done incorrectly and was to keep the network clean.

In future such thing will not occur.

• Plus I was not being racist. It was 100% a mis-read

• I wouldn't go as far as to say it was racially motivated. That's a little absurd. Due to the ticket times you can tell that the provider realized they made a mistake and rectified it quickly.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @KIL86 said:
    I wouldn't go as far as to say it was racially motivated. That's a little absurd. Due to the ticket times you can tell that the provider realized they made a mistake and rectified it quickly.

Thank you for understanding

• Ermm. Provider was faster than anyone. I just had to let everyone know so that other vps providers do not mistake me for the same "vijay" strolling around here. It was in no way to defame the providers. They have been nice and re activated it in minutes.

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    *me looks at the ticket

... that grammar

Oops facepalm

I am the worst of all at speaking English. I am a britsh northerner (ask linuxthefish :P)

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited January 2015

*me looks at the ticket

... that grammar

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    Don't worry, Timmy! We still love you :)

:P love you too

• @TheKiller said:
    Hmm; so much love :P

there is more to go around.

• TinyTunnel_Tom said: I am the worst of all at speaking English. I am a britsh northerner (ask linuxthefish :P)

Don't worry, Timmy! We still love you :)

• Hmm; so much love :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

This doesn't answer the real question. If I purchase and the IP is blacklisted, will I get a refund?

(This post is a joke)

Thanked by 2mikho Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • @Jar said:
    This doesn't answer the real question. If I purchase and the IP is blacklisted, will I get a refund?

(This post is a joke)

LowEndTrolls is in action

(The grammar is a joke)

• TinyTunnel_Tom said: It was a simple check which I had done incorrectly and was to keep the network clean.

Was the check to see if the user's name was Vijay?

• @Nekki said:
    Was the check to see if the user's name was Vijay?

Yes and I failed

• TinyTunnel_Tom said: Yes and I failed

That's still a pretty bad check, you can't suspend/reject orders based on a single name alone.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Was more of a Joke

I must be missing something...

• @Nekki said:
    That's still a pretty bad check, you can't suspend/reject orders based on a single name alone.

Was more of a Joke

:P Plus we don't allow email spam on our network. He is actually a past custom doing some research. He got refunded. xD

Legit trolling

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:

Was more of a Joke

>
    :P Plus we don't allow email spam on our network. He is actually a past custom doing some research. He got refunded. xD
    >
    Legit trolling

I wouldn't consider this situation a joke, regardless of the price of the VPS it you still deserve top notch service and support, and not trolling from the ISP.

• @Jade_G said:
    I wouldn't consider this situation a joke, regardless of the price of the VPS it you still deserve top notch service and support, and not trolling from the ISP.

Nor do I. I have rectified the situation with the customer. I offered a full refund (out of my own pocket) he refused it and said it was fine.

He didnt get the top noch service we are known for thats why I offered a refund due to it being my fault.