Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any interest in cheap UK - J1900 dedicated servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any interest in cheap UK - J1900 dedicated servers

onepoundonepound Member
edited January 2015 in General

This is not an advert,
I am just trying to gauge if there is any interest/market for dedicated servers based on the Intel J1900 quad core CPU in the UK

This would not be through myself but via the DC that I work for, we already offer competitive colo from £29/month at the UK DC but I am trying to convince the boss to enter the £15/month market on budget dedi's!!

Provisionally it would include:

Intel J1900 CPU - Quad Core

http://ark.intel.com/products/78867/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J1900-2M-Cache-up-to-2_42-GHz

1TB HDD

2 GB Ram

1 TB B/W

1xIPv4 + /64 IPv6

Aiming for £15+VAT

It would be possible to upgrade various components, HDD size / number (upto 4 drives) , RAM , gigabit port.

Any comments/ feedback would be welcome.

Comments

• Sub £20 dedis with a big-ass HDD are always of interest to me. Which DC are we talking about?

• @Nekki said:
    Sub £20 dedis with a big-ass HDD are always of interest to me. Which DC are we talking about?

Would be via BoxColo hosted in ServerHouse DC Fareham, Hampshire

• LeeLee Veteran

Definately interested.

• wychwych Member
    edited January 2015

My ears have perked up... how much would additional IP's be?

• I'd make it 4GB RAM at least, to make the RAM dual channel (1GB RAM sticks are rare).

• can we preorder :) based on "interest" alone ;-)

• frankfrank Member
    edited January 2015

@rds100 said:
    I'd make it 4GB RAM at least, to make the RAM dual channel (1GB RAM sticks are rare).

This. 2gb is to low. You cant get round the BW limitations due to the UK, but the memory could easily be increased for very little cost, and 4GB really should be the bare min now.

4GB and 2TB of bandwidth and I would be biting your hand off. 4Gb and 1 TB and its gives new good options the UK market is needing.

• Would also be interested

Thanked by 1tomsfarm
  • I'd be interested, but as others have stated; the RAM should be at least 4GB.

• I'm quite happy with 2GB RAM personally. Sure, 4GB would be nice, but I'd rather have a lower price than the additional RAM.

• Sounds interesting, but the CPU has only half power of online.net's Dedibox XC.

Dedibox XC comes with 8 GB RAM and a Gigabit Port for just £12 plus VAT.

So compared to online.net, this seems to be too expensive.

• howmuch more would the 4gb ram be?

• foetti said: So compared to online.net, this seems to be too expensive.

It's in the UK, that makes a hell of a difference in terms of price, and it's a worthwhile increase to many of us.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • Nekki said: It's in the UK, that makes a hell of a difference in terms of price, and it's a worthwhile increase to many of us.

But 3 ms away from london... and from online.net to london it's just 9 ms.

• @foetti said:
    But 3 ms away from london... and from online.net to london it's just 9 ms.

But France vs UK...

Thanked by 1mikho
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Also interested

• foetti said: But 3 ms away from london... and from online.net to london it's just 9 ms.

Irrelevant if you need to have something physically located in the UK.

Thanked by 2wych J1021
  • Nekki said: Irrelevant if you need to have something physically located in the UK.

May I ask for which purpose you need it physically located in the UK?

Just for my understanding.

TAKE MY MONEY!

• @foetti said:

Actual box location rather than IPGeoLocation, Local hosting, different laws...

• wych said: different laws...

It's all EU. There are not much differences in laws...

• foetti said: May I ask for which purpose you need it physically located in the UK?

Just for my understanding.

I wasn't talking about me personally. I just want a server as close as possible to home that's not with OVH or Online.net, as I've got too much with those providers already.

• foetti said: It's all EU. There are not much differences in laws...

It's my understanding that you need to keep data that is under the data protection act in the UK, or at least in Europe - I'm not 100% sure on this one though.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-8-international/

• But my guess is that most people do not need it physically in the UK. So prices should somehow be compareable to online.net.

The current estimated offer is more expensive than online.net for even lower performance.

• Oh yeah, still interested in this server! CPU could be a tiny bit better, but I guess that's part of why it's so cheap.

• More than interested. Would sign up now if offer was available.

• Maybe you could add some features that online.net can't provide, e.g. a /29 IPv4 subnet.

But definitely more RAM.

• OP should also have added poll.

• UK prices will always struggle to compare to large EU providers who's power/transit and hardware is cheaper.

4GB of ram would be an option but to maintain the lowest entry price this would be via a (very) small extra charge.

• @foetti said:
    But my guess is that most people do not need it physically in the UK. So prices should somehow be compareable to online.net.

The current estimated offer is more expensive than online.net for even lower performance.

@foetti said:
    Maybe you could add some features that online.net can't provide, e.g. a /29 IPv4 subnet.

But definitely more RAM.

You do realise how expensive bandwidth in the UK is opposed to France?