Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LES KVM interest
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LES KVM interest

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a LES style KVM service?

Comments

• Hard to put a lot in a LES container without the benefit of shared memory. As I remember even Debian warns about installing (from a net install) with less than 98MB, and kernel panics with 64MB.

Thanked by 1aggressivenetworks
  • Yes your right about the memory sizes . I was thinking nothing less than 128 megs of ram will be fine for Debian style linux distros.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

I prefer OpenVZ for LES like. Faster due to OpenVZ container system and ressource sharing.

• I think most people who buy from LES just want something small and cheap, so they would actually prefer OpenVZ since it's generally cheaper and has less overhead for small amounts of RAM.

• Still for some uses KVM can be better. I recall Maximum VPS used to offer a 64MB KVM plan. You can't run the Debian installer on it, but if you use a template it runs successfully. There are things you can do with this KVM instance (IPSec VPN comes to mind, Fuse storage, etc.) which you can't do on an OpenVZ container (especially if the provider doesn't care to enable extra modules, which is understandable for LES-type service).
    I think there is market for LES-style (64MB RAM; < 5Euro/year) KVM offer.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • noisycodenoisycode Member
    edited January 2015

I'm always willing to learn Docker, and it just could not be deployed in OpenVZ, since a box in OpenVZ is a container itself. For the purpose, I don't actually need a dedicated IP address, I just need a virtualization which supports a modern Linux kernel.

On the other hand, however, I'm really concerned about the I/O performance of LES-styled KVM.

• @maximum_vps offers this (64MB KVM at $8.5/yr with 1ipv4 and ~ipv6) for quite some time. It has its quirks of setting up and maintaining and not all providers here are capable enough to pull this off

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • I would not be interested in something like this, personally.

I use LES for when I'm pissing about with unimportant things, or I just need a cheap and cheerful container for a little project. Less resources for more money is really not what I'm looking for in this instance.

Thanked by 1Droid
  • I'm using FreeBSD on my 64MB KVM instance by @maximum_vps for hosting simple static sites and it works great. The installer (and FreeBSD) never complained about the small memory amount and the VPS itself is pretty snappy.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • Maximum_VPSMaximum_VPS Member
    edited January 2015

We currently have a Debian 7 template available for our 64MB (KVM) plan, many ISO's as well, you would be surprised what can be done with 64MB. Im sure there would be interest in the UK, maybe someday we would offer them there. Biggest issue is IP costs.

Thanked by 2IceCream chipyzs
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2015

@Maximum_VPS did you at least moved now your website from the customer node?