Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some brief GVH &CVPS "Uptime Robot" stats
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some brief GVH &CVPS "Uptime Robot" stats

jbarrjbarr Member
edited January 2015 in General

Over the past year, I purchased several VPS instances through two of the more "noticably undesirable" providers, specifically Chicago VPS and GreenValueHost.

I decided to set them up with Uptime Hosting to see over several months what the availability would be.

For comparison, I also included stats from my paid DreamHost Web Hosting account through which I host several personal and client Web sites. I figure that this is a good example of what commercial Web hosting can provide.

Note #1: All of my VPS instances are currently being used ONLY for personal use. I do not have any client services running on any of these. Only DreamHost hosts my client sites.

Note #2: All GVH VPS instances were created through a reseller account that I purchased at an absurdly low price. I distributed them across the country to try to account for latency.

Note #3: The smallest monitoring interval at Uptime Robot's free service is 5 minutes, so it's the best I can do given that limitation. I acknowledge that a 5 minute interval does not give a complete uptime picture, but over time, I feel that it does give me a decent overview of general service availability given the nature of the VPS instances, and given that the Uptime Robot is free.

Here is Uptime Robot's Summary page showing the current and past 24 hour status:

The first entry is really for comparison. It is my Web Hosting at DreamHost that I use for most personal and client Web sites. It has been up for about 13 days:

The second entry is a VPS hosted with ChicagoVPS, up for 90 days:

The third entry is a VPS in Atlanta hosted with GVH, up for 10 days:

The fourth entry is a VPS in Los Angeles hosted with GVH, up for 43 days:

The fifth entry is a VPS in New York hosted with GVH, up for 43 days:

IN keeping with the New Year's theme, let the fireworks begin!

Thanked by 1mpkossen

Comments

• Are you expecting a "special service credit" from Jon anytime soon?

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited January 2015

Some warning in thread subject would be welcome.

It seems like LET guys keep buying from GVH and CVPS just so that they can later talk about them and annoy all others who don't give a shit about them all the time.
    There's hundreds more interesting and worth to talk LET hosts but guys, especially those newer at LET, don't give up with this GVH scheme.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited January 2015

• @kcaj said:
    Are you expecting a "special service credit" from Jon anytime soon?

If so, great! But my intent is to provide real world data about products discussed here at LET.

• @Heinz said:
    **Some warning in thread subject would be welcome. **

Done.

It seems like LET morons keep buying from GVH and CVPS just so that they can later talk about them and annoy all others who don't give a shit about them all the time.

My intention was to provide real world data about the products discussed here. Is this not the forum to do so?

There's hundreds more interesting and worth to talk LET hosts, but morons, especially those newer at LET, don't give up with this GVH scheme.

So YMMV. I've had decent results with the services I purchased and am telling people about it.

If there is so much animosity toward these providers, then why not just ban all discussions about them? Until then I'll continue to provide unbiased reviews and opinions.

Thanked by 2Heinz mpkossen
  • jbarr said: If there is so much animosity toward these providers, then why not just ban all discussions about them?

I think I once had a VPS from @Jack . It was a good product (cheap and perfect performance), but based on his behaviour I would not buy one from him again. After reading terrible stories about this "Jon" guy, I, as well as what I assume is the majority of others, would rather stay away from him. And Vultr. And others that I can't remember the name of.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

There goes another.........

• Jack said: Booo hoo

My point exactly. :p

• MunMun Member
    edited January 2015

http://uptime.munroenet.com/outages.php?host=GVH

I removed them awhile ago so data hasn't been added since late OCT.

• @Mun: On an unrealted note, I wish there was a version of your UI that works with Nagios :-)

• You should see how many users are using WHT as a help desk... jon get's very annoyed with that.

• @Mun said:
    http://uptime.munroenet.com/outages.php?host=GVH

I removed them awhile ago so data hasn't been added since late OCT.

Did you ever get your IP null routed when you downloaded a popular Linux ISO?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2015

I wouldn't trust UptimeRobot, I just logged into my account and it says 100% uptime (with 5 min intervals) for servers that I know had several minutes (more than 10mins) of downtime throughout the past few months.

For instance when one site was attacked it was down for at least 30-45mins and UptimeRobot still says:
    Up 02-10-2014 22:48:31 OK 2180 hrs, 2 mins

• Patrick said: I wouldn't trust UptimeRobot, I just logged into my account and it says 100% uptime (with 5 min intervals) for servers that I know had several minutes (more than 10mins) of downtime throughout the past few months.

For instance when one site was attacked it was down for at least 30-45mins and UptimeRobot still says: Up 02-10-2014 22:48:31 OK 2180 hrs, 2 mins

Yes, it often takes ~30 mins to click onto downtime.

• MunMun Member

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    Mun: On an unrealted note, I wish there was a version of your UI that works with Nagios :-)

PM me and explain what you are attempting to get at.

• @jbarr said:
    If so, great! But my intent is to provide real world data about products discussed here at LET.

And thank you for that. There's too much "provider X sucks" without any data backing it up. While your data isn't conclusive and doesn't cover performance or support, it does say something about the uptime you've had with your services and that's good.

• mpkossen said: And thank you for that. There's too much "provider X sucks" without any data backing it up. While your data isn't conclusive and doesn't cover performance or support, it does say something about the uptime you've had with your services and that's good.

I don't think it does, UptimeRobot is horribly unreliable.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner PremiumN
  • UptimeRobot should not be considered valid for any uptime monitoring. I put it through its paces in November and it still hasn't detected any downtime (ping) on VPS I deleted in November. Also almost all the outages went unnoticed.

In my experience Wormly (www.wormly.com) has been bulletproof, Pingdom is awful (lots of false positives), UptimeRobot awful, Verelo used to be good but was bought by Dyn and destroyed, CopperEgg has been good but since the Idera acquisition has been on my 'to drop' list.

• I've heavily tested uptime checkers, and I'm pretty confident when I say Uptime Robot is THE WORST service of it's kind. Massively unreliable, and at times has taken over 30 minutes to detect outages. Piece of shit and I'd never trust any stats provided by it.

Thanked by 1wych
  • Nekki said: Uptime Robot is THE WORST service of it's kind

Could you recommend a good and free one?

• And your first post: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/32989/an-obviously-rare-positive-review-of-gvh

Sorry I don't trust anything related to GVH anymore

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited January 2015

4n0nx said: Could you recommend a good and free one?

Use NodeQuery. Otherwise, I bet @0xdragon can host Nagios for you on his kick-butt $4.00/yr product.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • 4n0nx said: Could you recommend a good and free one?

Depends on your requirements really. MonitorUs is decent and reliable, but you only get checks from 2 locations and every 30 mins. All the other free ones I've found to be pants.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2015

None of the free uptime monitoring services are fantastic, unfortunately. If you can't pay, at least use Uptime Robot and StatusCake together. It's still not perfect but one usually picks up what the other doesn't.

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited January 2015

4n0nx said: Could you recommend a good and free one?

Not free, but getting a $0.99/mo atlantic.net VPS and running Observium from there is not a bad idea and there are enough people doing it.

DalekOfSkaro said: Use NodeQuery. Otherwise, I bet @0xdragon can host Nagios for you on his kick-butt $4.00/yr product.

Or this.

NodeQuery is really good, but I have been getting a couple of false-positives on one particular VPS over the festive break. I am pretty sure it needs a script update so not a big deal.

@0xdragon is a good guy and has come up with a great product. You can just do Observium through him, but a hosted Nagios-based turnkey solution (FAN, OMD) would be even better.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @Monsta_AU said:
    Or this. @0xdragon is a good guy and has come up with a great product. You can just do Observium through him.

-

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    Use NodeQuery. Otherwise, I bet 0xdragon can host Nagios for you on his kick-butt $4.00/yr product.

Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it! I hope to improve the product even more over this year :)

Anyway, for a limited time you can use the coupon NEWYEAR to get it for $4 (usually $6). You should be quick though, the coupon has almost run out!

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited January 2015

These stats are useless for comparision, the amount of time is different.

13, 90, 10 and 43 days.

But if you do want to use them like that, you could interpret it as that your own service is actually worse than GVH's (uptime-wise)

Now, enough time wasted on GVH-related shit, stop posting thread's like this, no-one is benefitting from it.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2015

I used uptime robot a few months back, it was definitely odd when I was checking it as I knew there had been downtime, so I forced short periods of downtime and some it missed entirely, some it picked up on.

No way is it reliable.

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • W1V_Lee said: I used uptime robot a few months back, it was definitely odd when I was checking it as I knew there had been downtime, so I forced short periods of downtime and some it missed entirely, some it picked up on.

No way is it reliable.

I would have to support that. We had clients report downtimes from Uptime Robot several times and when I compare to our logs (Nagios & Other), it would prove to be false-positive.

Furthermore, no offense intended, but like @mpkossen said, this is not conclusive. There's no way for any of us (who are interested) to confirm these monitoring results are for servers hosted by CVPS or GVH.

In my humble opinion, nothing you post will change the opinion shared by many LET members regarding CVPS and GVH -- I'd save my time and effort if I were you.