Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest 2 TB storage (with possible to run Windows Server 2012 R2)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest 2 TB storage (with possible to run Windows Server 2012 R2)

myhkenmyhken Member
edited December 2014 in General

I have a old laptop at my moms house, using for backup for all my personal stuff.
I have used around 1.2 TB today.
The laptop is old, and today the temperature was over 100c and I just blow it clean for dust. So not long before this dies on me.

I'm looking for a server (dedicated/VPS) that can give me 2 TB of disk space, and the possible to install my own Windows Server 2012 R2 license. (I have BizSpark licenses that can be used in production) Location: Europe.

Second, 2 TB of disk, and just CentOS.

No need for much traffic. One time upload of 1.2 TB. And then maybe 100 GB at most per month, but if I need to restore, I need 2 TB bandwidt at that time.
Min 100 mbit, want 1 Gbit. Anything better is great.

I have looked at the Cheapest 1 TB storage thread, and VPSdime.com is cheap with $28/mo for 2 TB. But no Windows option.

Anybody with a good offer? I'm a really good customer, do always pays in time, and a loyal customer.

Comments

• Is it easier to grab a NAS at home and then crashplan / backblaze?

• You could get a 2TB kimsufi, or risk getting a 1TB Kimsufi and hoping it comes with a 2TB disk

Thanked by 1netomx
  • And what hostnoob said, Kimsufi 2TB 15euro is a good choice. You just need a bit more effort to setup Windows though.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @msg7086 said:
    Is it easier to grab a NAS at home and then crashplan / backblaze?

I of course have backup at home. But what if the house catch fire? Or all my computer stuff is stolen?
    This backup is the last line of defend, the absolute last backup I want to restore from, but when I need to restore from it, something bad have happen at home.

• Oneprovider Intel Core i3-530 2TB HDD 20 €/Month is good choice
    (Wait a few days for new stock)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@myhken said:
    This backup is the last line of defend, the absolute last backup I want to restore from, but when I need to restore from it, something bad have happen at home.

Crashplan sounds like a good plan, or Hubic.
    10TB for €10/month.

• I can get you a dedicated 2TB drive for $25.50

Thanks!

• bf1bf1 Member
    edited December 2014

did you also change the thermal paste? Cleaning the dust usually doesn't help much if the thermal paste has solidified on the CPU and is less thermoconductive.

Thanked by 3myhken netomx TheKiller
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2014

E3-1230 v2

8GB ECC RAM

2TB HDD

10TB @ 1GBPS

1 IPv4

@ $45/mo

Miami, FL.

Contact me if interested.

P.S. If you need windows the licensing is additionally priced.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • sc754sc754 Member
    edited December 2014

@myhken said:
    I have a old laptop at my moms house, using for backup for all my personal stuff.
    I have used around 1.2 TB today.
    The laptop is old, and today the temperature was over 100c and I just blow it clean for dust. So not long before this dies on me.

I'm looking for a server (dedicated/VPS) that can give me 2 TB of disk space, and the possible to install my own Windows Server 2012 R2 license. (I have BizSpark licenses that can be used in production) Location: Europe.

Second, 2 TB of disk, and just CentOS.

No need for much traffic. One time upload of 1.2 TB. And then maybe 100 GB at most per month, but if I need to restore, I need 2 TB bandwidt at that time.
    Min 100 mbit, want 1 Gbit. Anything better is great.

I have looked at the Cheapest 1 TB storage thread, and VPSdime.com is cheap with $28/mo for 2 TB. But no Windows option.

Anybody with a good offer? I'm a really good customer, do always pays in time, and a loyal customer.

Why not just buy something like an intel nuc or even a raspberry pi to host at home? There's this that's just come out from odriod too, http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

I run my own stuff off an old laptop hard drive at home with a raspberry pi and network mapped drive.

EDIT: just noticed you said Windows but even so an NUC is a good way to go.

Like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BOXDCCP847DYE-Desktop-PC-Celeron/dp/B00B7I8HZ4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1420039744&sr=8-8&keywords=intel+nuc

or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Brix-Ultra-Compact-Barebone/dp/B00L2C3VAQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420039744&sr=8-4&keywords=intel+nuc

or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-DN2820FYKH-Barebone-Graphics-Bluetooth/dp/B00I60Z8Q2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420039805&sr=8-3&keywords=intel+nuc

Thanked by 1myhken
  • A intel NUC with a external drive (that I have in place already, so all the data is on that drive, so no issues at all just switching it over to the NUC) is maybe the cheapest way to go. I think I will change out the old laptop with a Intel NUC now within some weeks.

• @myhken said:
    A intel NUC with a external drive (that I have in place already, so all the data is on that drive, so no issues at all just switching it over to the NUC) is maybe the cheapest way to go. I think I will change out the old laptop with a Intel NUC now within some weeks.

You might want to check what voltage the old laptop's ram is, might be able to use it for your nuc assuming it's 1.35v and ddr3. Also could reuse the drive

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Other option:
    wholesaleinternet Pentium 4 2GB RAM 2x 2TB SATA 29.00/Month

• or get a quad core AMD Opteron from Dacentec for 40 https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/dedicated-servers/

• @myhken said:

Hope you did / will read what I said.