Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone used Backblaze backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone used Backblaze backup?

Was going through some threads on here about backup - I was wondering if anyone used this? Offer seems really good but they only have Windows or Mac Clients so how would you go about backing up your linux server with Backblaze or is it simply not possible?

Comments

• it's okay but very very slow. only seeing 1/2Mbps backup

• It's perfect for me, see 20Mb/s uploads from the UK.

• kcaj said: It's perfect for me, see 20Mb/s uploads from the UK.

the isp you use is awesome compared to most of us :)

• TarZZ92 said: the isp you use is awesome compared to most of us :)

Meh, it's CableCom. They only peer in London for me.

• @kcaj are you backing up windows/mac or linux as there's no linux support it seems?

I guess an option would be to back it up to somewhere with Windows and then have that backup to Backblaze? Two backups in different locations too..

• AmplificatorAmplificator Member
    edited December 2014

Please note that Backblaze only stores your data for 30 days since last backup.
    This means that if your computer is turned off for 30 days, the files will be deleted. This also means that if your harddrive dies and you can't get a replacement fast enough, the files are lost.

Maybe take a look at CrashPlan instead? Or Jottacloud, which are also really good. They both store your files forever, like SOS Online Backup also does, if I remember correctly. Jottacloud is the only one that will let most people, including me, upload at full speed. There are a lot of people with really bad upload speeds to all those $5 plans like CrashPlan, Backblaze etc.
    SOS Online Backup is another pretty big company that overhall have a really good reputation as well, and typically people report faster upload speeds with them.

CrashPlan has a linux client as one of the only ones, if not the only one if I can remember.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • They are just awesome.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited December 2014

@Amplificator said:
    Please note that Backblaze only stores your data for 30 days since last backup.
    This means that if your computer is turned off for 30 days, the files will be deleted. This also means that if your harddrive dies and you can't get a replacement fast enough, the files are lost.

Not completely true as far as I can tell.

It stores older versions of files for up to 30 days if you delete the file. The only files it will delete after 30 days are ones from an external drive if you have not connected it within that time. Internal drives do not have the same limit as far as I can see.

See: https://www.backblaze.com/remote-backup-everything.html

• krs360 said: are you backing up windows/mac or linux as there's no linux support it seems?

I'm using Mac.

• I use and it's good because there's no limit on how much you can backup. You need to use their client though in order to backup files and they have no plans on releasing a Linux version. You may be able to use WINE with the Windows version.

• they are not good

• @iKeyZ said:
    It stores older versions of files for up to 30 days if you delete the file. The only files it will delete after 30 days are ones from an external drive if you have not connected it within that time. Internal drives do not have the same limit as far as I can see.

From the link you included:

Deleted Files
    Backblaze will keep versions of a file that changes for up to 30 days. However, Backblaze is not designed as an additional storage system when you run out of space. Backblaze mirrors your drive. If you delete your data, it will be deleted from Backblaze after 30 days.

So if you delete a file, you only have 30 days to restore it. That doesn't sound like a very good backup solution to me! Sure it does not happen often, but there have been a few times where I have wanted to restore a long-ago-deleted file, and CrashPlan lets me do that no problem.

• @Ree said:
    So if you delete a file, you only have 30 days to restore it. That doesn't sound like a very good backup solution to me! Sure it does not happen often, but there have been a few times where I have wanted to restore a long-ago-deleted file, and CrashPlan lets me do that no problem.

I wasn't commenting on the way they did things, just that @Amplificator had the wrong idea with what he said. 30 days is normally plenty of time to recover a file that you have already deleted.

• @iKeyZ But I still consider it to be a significant downgrade compared to competitors. CrashPlan, which is the same price pretty much, will store them forever. That's why I wrote to simply take note of it.
    BackBlaze also has the unfortunate thing is not beign able to select folders to you want to back up. You select a drive, and then it gets backed up. The only way to not sync everything is to manually exclude files and folders based on a pattern. I consider this.. weird to say the least, and far prefer the others in this regard.

Sure, it might be rare that your drives or whatever are disconnected for 30 days, but let's say you have a huge amount of data.. that one time where you might need it, it would suck to not have it. OVerall the CrashPlan client have heaps of more settings and it includes a linux client.

• Sure, it might be rare that your drives or whatever are disconnected for 30 days, but let's say you have a huge amount of data.. that one time where you might need it, it would suck to not have it. OVerall the CrashPlan client have heaps of more settings and it includes a linux client.

BackBlaze sends an email when a drive has been inactive for 14 days.

• Google drive is best for me. Unlimited for $50/month shared with 5 users.

• Backblaze is now useless to me. Just found out that files you delete are removed from backblaze 30 days later... kinda useless

• I signed up for backblaze a few days ago mainly in case my local backups were to 'vanish'.

I'm not too pressed that they delete files after 30 days as I keep them longer than that locally on my own backups.

Took about 2 days to upload my laptop but that was only 40 gigs.. next up is the desktop (still only 200 gigs).