Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you keep all of your server uptodate?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you keep all of your server uptodate?

I am sure most of you have multiple server running different version of Linux. So, how do you keep them up to date? manual update? cron?

If there is anyone who know better way to update server all at once, please share with me.

Comments

• Manual.

Think there was a post about this before and the majority are not keen on auto updates

• Automated updates is not recommended, something may broken without your notices.

• I only have about 5, all running Debian so I just do it manually

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited December 2014

@krs360 said:
    Manual.

Think there was a post about this before and the majority are not keen on auto updates

Sorry but I didnt found it.

@seikan said:
    Automated updates is not recommended, something may broken without your notices.

So the best way is by update each server manually?? T_T

@hostnoob said:
    I only have about 5, all running Debian so I just do it manually

Debian-fans huh? :p I have centos 6&7, ubuntu 12.04 and debian 7 installed on my servers which I forgot how many of them.. btw, updating each of them manually is not time efficient. When I want to update them, I dont have free time. When I have free time, I forgot to update them -_-

• crontab -e

insert:

0 0 * * * apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade

Done

• @psycholyzern said:
    Debian-fans huh? :p I have centos 6&7, ubuntu 12.04 and debian 7 installed on my servers which I forgot how many of them.. btw, updating each of them manually is not time efficient. When I want to update them, I dont have free time. When I have free time, I forgot to update them -_-

Why so many different OSes? All of mine run Debian, and my main box where I do all of my development stuff runs all of the software used by my other boxes, so I do apt-get dist-upgrade on that first, and if nothing breaks I do it on all of my others. They're all backed up anyway.

• @tr1cky said:
    crontab -e

insert:

0 0 * * * apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade

Done

So, autoupdate by cron? nice..thanks

@hostnoob said:
    Why so many different OSes? All of mine run Debian, and my main box where I do all of my development stuff runs all of the software used by my other boxes, so I do apt-get dist-upgrade on that first, and if nothing breaks I do it on all of my others. They're all backed up anyway.

On web server, I run Centos because I am Centos-fans. For seedbox, I run Ubuntu because I used automate script installer for Ubuntu.. And for small server, I run debian because it is light and suite for the servers. Besides, I run a blog in my language which show how-to for these OSes, so running many OSes help me writing tutorial for my blog

• Unattended-upgrades for debian is pretty good.

Thanked by 3ucxo hostnoob klikli
  • black said: Unattended-upgrades for debian is pretty good.

^^^^^
    I use unattended-upgrades,too. It only installs security updates by default and has never broken anything on my servers.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Saltstack, updated all my servers with one command (doesn't matter the OS):

salt \* pkg.upgrade 

Saltstack also allows me to automate the setup of packages, for example install and configure tinc, zsh, snmpd, and automated backups with one command:

salt node state.sls tinc.install,zsh,snmpd,backup 

• You could try ansible too.

• Manually several VPSs at once with MTPuTTY (Multi-Tabbed PuTTY) / send a script / select all option.

• shammyshammy Member
    edited December 2014

I use Nagios to monitor updates among other things. It sends out an email when updates are available, and I have it configured to send periodic reminders until it's been handled.

And I made a nice little IRC bot, which echoes Nagios alerts into a channel. There's a command !problems to list all active problems, and if you don't want to wait until Nagios next queries the server, there's a !recheck command to tell Nagios to recheck the problem immediately.

• @techkken said:
    You could try ansible too.

+1 for ansible! Can detect whether to use yum or apt-get.

• I've been running unattended-upgrades to apply security updates and apticron to email me if updates are pending.

• How? I don't

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Manual, subscribe to ther mailinglist then you will notice when you need to do it.

• Manually. And test updates on one server then perform it to all others.

• @shammy said:
    I use Nagios to monitor updates among other things. It sends out an email when updates are available, and I have it configured to send periodic reminders until it's been handled.

And I made a nice little IRC bot, which echoes Nagios alerts into a channel. There's a command !problems to list all active problems, and if you don't want to wait until Nagios next queries the server, there's a !recheck command to tell Nagios to recheck the problem immediately.

wow.. I like the irc feature. You coded it by yourself?

• Ansible is probably the easiest to implement. Starts to make sense once you get above single digits of servers. Maybe even less.

• I use Linode Longview on some of my servers which has a notice for package updates, that's usually how I notice updates and then install them manually.

• @black said:
    Unattended-upgrades for debian is pretty good.

^^This

• Using apticron that sends me an e-mail about pending updates and doin' it manually.