Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can I do when somebody copy my site, and change my affiliates link to theirs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What can I do when somebody copy my site, and change my affiliates link to theirs?

Some weeks ago i discovered this site:
http://dhcoupons.com/18665/7-month-review-vultr-com.html
And found several of my reviews from my site, copied direct from my site:
http://reviews.myhken.com/7-month-review-of-vultr-com/

And there is more reviews from my site there. They have changed all my affiliates links from my aff.link to their own affiliates link. So they have stolen my review, and directs people to their affiliate account.

I have tried to contact the owner (Tom), but after two weeks, still no reply.

What can I do?

@DaveA is it anything you can do? They are taking my affiliate traffic, so you can see how much they have taken from me, if you look at their aff. account: (6802593)

How to stop this theft?

Thanked by 1youjingsenlin

Comments

• Their domain is registered at ENOM, but they are using whois protection, so I can't find any info about who run the site.
    It is hosted on a IP: 198.167.143.200 that have a total of 5 sites on it.
    The IP belongs to Dnsslave.com

• Site is offline now anyway. They're hosted by Virpus/Wowrack

• If the site comes back online, go nuclear with a DMCA to their provider.

• @Weblogics said:
    If the site comes back online, go nuclear with a DMCA to their provider.

But I see the price is $199 for a DMCA...thats pricy.

• Pyr02k1Pyr02k1 Member
    edited December 2014

DMCA itself doesn't cost anything... Using that site listed above does, but you don't have to use it
    http://www.whoishostingthis.com/dmca/
    and
    https://nppa.org/page/5617

Quick edit: Even though sending a DMCA request doesn't cost anything, getting them to take down the infringing content does if they ignore the DMCA. At that point, you're forced into going to court to get a judge to force their hand.

• Hoping @DaveA can cut off their affiliate link so they don't earn money on my reviews. Or give me the affiliates revenues they generate.

• I have now contacted/used a DMCA notice to [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected], and to [email protected]

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I hate thieves. The time to steal could have been used to write a damn review.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Try to find out who their host is and contact them for a removal. Of course, provide them with proof.

• @PremiumN said:
    Try to find out who their host is and contact them for a removal. Of course, provide them with proof.

It's wowrack.com that has the ASN on the IP they are using. Then it says Dnsslave.com (but that is not a website) but virpus.com can be contacted on [email protected] but not on their e-mail listed on their site.

I can't find any more info that that. I can see that their Facebook page is removed, and I just reported their Twitter account.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Freaking thieves.

Only one answer, really...

Thanked by 2myhken TheKiller
  • You should add something to your site that explains how your content can be used.

• LeeLee Veteran

@tr1cky said:
    You should add something to your site that explains how your content can be used.

This ^^ It's actually not that they are doing anything wrong, copyright is not always implied.

• Report it to google? I think they had a way to report copied content and then it wouldn't be ranked / showing in searches, so it would be useless for the guy who copied it.

• @rds100 said:
    Report it to google? I think they had a way to report copied content and then it wouldn't be ranked / showing in searches, so it would be useless for the guy who copied it.

You're thinking of https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-notice?pli=1&;

That'd serve him right for jacking someones review instead of doing it himself.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • I was speaking of this - http://t.co/WohXQmI45X

• Reported to Google also :D

• Their site looks to be offline for me, your abuse reports worked I think!

• @linuxthefish said:
    Their site looks to be offline for me, your abuse reports worked I think!

I'm pretty sure some nice guy here on LET launched a DDoS attack or something. Only a few minutes after posting here, the site was down. But hey, this time I like DDoS :D
    Maybe it will alert the host, and then maybe the owners of the IP sends my DMCA notices to their host, and they add 2 and 2, and the site get closed down.

• myhken said: I'm pretty sure some nice guy here on LET launched a DDoS attack or something.

Sounds more like it actually, haha!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • LeeLee Veteran

myhken said: I'm pretty sure some nice guy here on LET launched a DDoS attack or something.

So you condone DDoS attacks, nice to know.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    So you condone DDoS attacks, nice to know.

No, I do not like DDoS attacks, but this time I did not feel sorry for the owner of the other site.
    But now I see there is a DDoS attack against my site also, but luckily I have DNS failover and several backup servers.

• Remember DMCA only applies to us based servers/companies.

• How much do you earn with those referrals to Vultr? Seems to be quite a bit, given how nervous you are about some being lost. Doesn't make your reviews more credible, to be honest...

Thanked by 4Lee hostnoob tr1cky k0nsl
  • I used to do VPS/tech related content, too easy for somebody to fire up a RSS / scraper to steal your content. I got out of it as got tired of fighting with people overseas who have no other regard than monetary gain at any cost

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited December 2014

@Amitz said:
    How much do you earn with those referrals to Vultr? Seems to be quite a bit, given how nervous you are about some being lost. Doesn't make your reviews more credible, to be honest...

I never have used any affiliate program ever, before this July. Then I started with affiliate for Vultr.com and DigitalOcean. @Vultr I have generated 30 referrals there 10 has paid out. So not very much money, but I get around the same amount my servers there costs.
    At DO I have now $1.090 in pending referrals, but there almost nothing is paid out. Just $55 of $1.090.

I use lots of times (when I update my site) testing out, and writing reviews, and think affiliates is a better thing then ads.

This month I also added aff.links to Prometeus and Backupsy. Don't think I will add any more. And remember, I have used the hosts for a long time, so it's not that I write a review of a new host, and use their affiliate program.

Etc, I have used Prometeus for over 2 years now, actually 3 years counting the soon one year with iwStack.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • LeeLee Veteran

I doubt DaveA will be too bothered, it's all traffic and potential income for him regardless of how it gets there.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • They have removed the review I link to in this post. Now I have sent DMCA recuest for the remaining 6 reviews they have taken from my site, so will time show if they remove them also. The first one is the 7 month review of DO, there they have used affiliate links to vultr.com

• comXyzcomXyz Member
    edited December 2014

@myhken said: $1.090

Wow

Thanked by 1myhken