Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get root password at online.net server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to get root password at online.net server?

mikimiki Member

Hello,

I have just bought dedi server at online.net
During installation they have offered me to create user and I know password for that user.
But when I login to server with sftp client and want to create folder it says permission denied.

So, I guess I should login with root user but I don't have password.

Or how can I add this user to have the same privileges like root?

Comments

• When you install dedi you make password for root and make user and new password.
    so try same password or other you may thing you did.

• User I have made and password works.
    But when I try to use root and that password it does not work.
    Like root has some other password.

• I'm guessing you boot into recovery and use passwd root

• ittigerittiger Member
    edited December 2014

Have you tried sudo?

eg. # sudo mkdir

It should ask for a password which will be your user password.

Edit:
    Ignore that, thought you said SSH client, teach me to read it properly!

• when I enter "su passwd root"
    I get
    No passwd entry for user 'passed'

How to enter to recovery mod?

• Admin password is root password,

Any way login with user, sudo -i with same user password & then passwd root is what you'll need.

• You have these buttons to enter to recovery/bios

1. You cannot add a user that is like root. Root is root and nothing else is.

2. You should always try using SSH to login before you post here.

3. If you were asked to fill a username and a password, then this account will become the key to your root access. And typically your root account remote access is revoked due to security reason. You'll need to use SSH and su/sudo to do your daily maintenance.

Thanked by 1tr1cky
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

sudo passwd root

Thanked by 1touuqe
  • @miki said:
    when I enter "su passwd root"
    I get

How to enter to recovery mod?

go to console.online.net

log in, go to server > server list > manage > rescue > "click here to launch the rescue system"

and then I think you could change the root password from there. I'm not sure though since I have't tried it.

• Use IDRAC and enter single user mode.

• Start the installation again and read the form carefully before advancing to the next step.

There is an option to set the root password.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited December 2014

@miki said:
    I get

In order to get that error you had to have entered "su passed root", which is both a typo and not the command you want (su switches users, so that's trying to switch to a user named passed).

You want to first unlock the root account with "sudo passwd -u root" and then set a password with "sudo passwd root". You'll also have to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and change "PermitRootLogin without-password" to "PermitRootLogin yes", then restart SSH (service ssh restart).

Note that enabling root login with a password is not a good idea and it would be in your best interests to use an SSH key instead.