Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't click any "Merry Christmas!" links
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Don't click any "Merry Christmas!" links

More info

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/836729/#Comment_836729

If you click one of those "Merry christmas!" links it spreads throughout the site.

Thanked by 2PrincessOfCats soda

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Wondered why so many new alerts came up in my feed, I was like huh, surely not.

• Was bringing up some old threads too.

• What will it do to the end user? I was stupid and clicked one

• @Stevie said:
    What will it do to the end user? I was stupid and clicked one

When you click on it, it generates a random number (thread ID) and then automatically posts "Merry Christmas!" with a link back to that page, for someone else to click. It works because you're already logged in to LET

• Derp, I clicked it :s

• @Jono20201 said:
    Derp, I clicked it :s

Yeah I clicked on one of yours :P

• I guess people don't look at links before they click them anymore...

• @Jono20201 Yeah... It got you infected with something and now you're posting links :-/

• @Jono20201

Yea and I clicked the one it posted from you LOL

• Holy crap, look at all those threads on the main page now lol

• Oops, too late for me :/

• @hostnoob said:
    Yeah I clicked on one of yours :P
    @DalekOfSkaro said:
    Jono20201 Yeah... It got you infected with something and now you're posting links :-/
    @Stevie said:
    Jono20201

Yea and I clicked the one it posted from you LOL

Apologies guys, I have editted all my posts (click comments in your profile) and put "edit - my bad, was the merry xmas link."

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • I edited all my posts. :( Got me a few times apparently.

• Jono20201Jono20201 Member
    edited December 2014

Looks like a Vanilla bug (not escaping input from a 3rd party link). Is LET running the latest Vanilla?

• @mpkossen Sticky this until fixed/links removed?

• Just went through and edited my posts

• @Jono20201 said:
    Looks like a Vanilla bug (not escaping input from a 3rd party link). Is LET running the latest Vanilla?

Nope. It's been pending an update since October from the top of my head. We're running some weird unsupported branch from our time at vanillaforums.com.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Whoo, it's goes fast... I remove all my shittty link : "Removed Merry Christmas link."

• Of course I was stupid enough to click that link, edited all my posts and linked them to this thread instead.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@mpkossen said:
    Nope. It's been pending an update since October from the top of my head. We're running some weird unsupported branch from our time at vanillaforums.com.

Can't a database query just be run at intervals to remove all of the posts?

• We need a high level player to destroy these Wurms THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!

• Damn, when i saw that link on each post i guessed it might be xss bug or something similar . lol

then i did this mistake and i clicked on that link : (((

my fault ...

• All the "clever" people that edit their post again, so that the administration can't find it anymore using a query, you people are very smart :)

• LeeLee Veteran

What surprises me most is the amount of people that don't check where a link is pointing to before clicking it.

Thanked by 2mpkossen kontam
  • Merry Christmas!

• Suggestion for the meantime:

• is this the only effect the scirpt makes? Just reinstalled my computer and I haven't installed an antivirus software yet -,-

• @tr1cky said:
    All the "clever" people that edit their post again, so that the administration can't find it anymore using a query, you people are very smart :)

Stops other people from clicking them though.

• trexos said: is this the only effect the scirpt makes? Just reinstalled my computer and I haven't installed an antivirus software yet -,-

It's actually extremely hard to get viruses/malware through a web page. You're safe.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish