Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ is being merged with Parallels Cloud Server. Free and open source!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ is being merged with Parallels Cloud Server. Free and open source!

trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

More info at http://openvz.livejournal.com/49158.html

This is a very good thing for providers and customers. It will mean stable containers and quicker bug fixes with ultimately more features.

Thanked by 2Sentinel Blanoz

Comments

• Yeah, seen this. I'm really looking forward to having a more stable OpenVZ platform :)

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Yeah ! :)

• Good news Indeed!

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

It should also be outlined that the name will change to Virtuozzo Core. It's going to be a hard transition.

• I read the article. I understand that after the merger it will be open source. But I didn't find any text mentioning it will be free.
    What I assume is that Virtuozzo core will be free but not pcs.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanked by 1ksubedi
  • Great to see it's being open source. But agree with @virtualizor, it won't be free though.

I don't see how they will charge for an open source product.

• @trewq said:

The same way every other company that charges for open source software does. "Open source" does not mean "free software" in either sense of the term, either free as in beer or free as in freedom.

• @trewq said:

I would guess the paid product will come in the form of premium support and/or tool enhancements.

@Microlinux said:

That's what I would think too. Meaning this, Virtuozzo Core, will be free and they will charge for "premium" support and tools.

• bf1bf1 Member
    edited December 2014

They are providing the source code because they used GPL code, basically they are forced to share it (some people don't like sharing -> see below). They will probably just provide the source where they used it and offer those parts for free (they could sell them, but they are forced to provide the source code so basically anyone will know they can get the source and compile it for free), and I guess like mentioned above they will charge for support and some proprietary code modules.

In 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer referred to Linux as "a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches". In response to Microsoft's attacks on the GPL, several prominent Free Software developers and advocates released a joint statement supporting the license. Microsoft has released Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX which contains GPL-licensed code. In July 2009, Microsoft itself released a body of around 20,000 lines of Linux driver code under the GPL. The Hyper-V code that is part of the submitted code used open-source components licensed under the GPL and was originally statically linked to proprietary binary parts, the latter being inadmissible in GPL-licensed software.