Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Merry Christmas from Comcast
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Merry Christmas from Comcast

TACServersTACServers Member
edited December 2014 in General

I woke up to this here in Denver :)

Comments

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited December 2014

that seems slow :O, ping isnt bad though.

• @TarZZ92 said:

On what grounds is it slow?

• kcaj said: On what grounds is it slow?

every way.. 125Mb is hardly fast.

• @TarZZ92 said:

It is for a domestic broadband connection.

• kcaj said: It is for a domestic broadband connection.

i see that :)

• @TarZZ92 said:
    every way.. 125Mb is hardly fast.

It is pretty fast :)

• Much more than from mine. I have 8/1Mbps.

• george said: It is pretty fast :)

i bet comcast still throttle to hell though.

• @TarZZ92 - I've not noticed throttling, and while not a gigabit, its only $25USD a month. They are installing Centurylink Fiber in my area, just a matter of them getting it down the street.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@TarZZ92 said:

I guess no one gets sarcasm anymore ;)

Thanked by 1ahmiq
  • I get it! I was responding to the throttling comment, not that its slow. I can certainly download faster that I can consume..

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

Interesting... mine is up a bit too.
    Do need a better wireless router though... consumer grade networking equipment is such crap! The horrible Intel N7260 chip in my Asus laptop doesn't help)

Wired (directly to Microtik to DOCSIS 3.0 modem)

Wireless (Netgear R6300)

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited December 2014

@Jar said:
    I guess no one gets sarcasm anymore ;)

Rule #25 of the Internet, when using sarcasm on the Internet, please end with closing < /sarcasm> tag. ;-)

Thanked by 3jar TheKiller perennate
  • The ping seems high for a fiber connection.

• Better than nothing, I guess.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • @cncking2000 DOCSIS 3.0?

• emgemg Veteran

It may not matter how fast the connection is if the monthly usage quota is too small.

I left AT&T because it was too easy to exceed their 150 Gbytes per month usage quota. The web page to check current usage showed delayed results (several days old). I grew tired of trying to figure out how close we were to the limit as we neared the end of each billing cycle. We had been loyal AT&T customers for years when they imposed the quota, which they did without lowering the rates, of course. Worse yet, AT&T lied about usage. Their claimed usage always exceeded my measurements, once I instrumented our network connection to show me what we were actually using. Typical AT&T results were 5-10% above the true value.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

cncking2000 said: I've not noticed throttling, and while not a gigabit, its only $25USD a month. They are installing Centurylink Fiber in my area, just a matter of them getting it down the street.

I am also on Comcast. And I will jump immediately to Google Fiber once it comes to my neighborhood.

• DetruireDetruire Member
    edited December 2014

Costs a lot more than $25US though.

• emgemg Veteran

Someone I know sent me Speedtest.net results from the Ethernet jack in their dorm room, the same day that they arrived at college:

Ping: 33ms, Download Speed: 867.58 Mbps, Upload Speed: 892.89 Mbps

• I'm on business class Comcast. It's worth it and they don't need any "verification" of a business as it's installed in my residence.

Ping 10ms
    D/L 57.61 Mbps
    U/L 11.62 Mbps

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Mine is still my normal 55/10. Sadness.

• @emg said:
    Someone I know sent me Speedtest.net results from the Ethernet jack in their dorm room, the same day that they arrived at college:

That must be Google Fiber??? Isn't it?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2014

@emg said:

@TheKiller said:
    That must be Google Fiber??? Isn't it?

It is a dorm room gigabit ethernet port at a small college, but I have no information about how the college connects to the Internet.

Keep in mind that when the speed test was run, it was early on the first day, when few students (except a true geek) would be on the network.

I just asked about connection speeds during the regular term when everyone is using the network, and the answer is that they are not quite as high - typically around 500 Mbits/sec. I wish I could get one-fourth of that speed at home. :-(

Few students bother with the hardwired Ethernet - most of them use WiFi, which gives much poorer performance.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • Comcast activated IPv6 on Christmas here. I already had 150 down. Quite nice. :)

• David_P said: Comcast activated IPv6 on Christmas here.

What an odd Christmas present...

• @4n0nx said:

I just noticed that I had it because I have IPvFoo on. I was wondering to myself if I had my VPN on, but no it was Comcast. haha.

• Upload speed sucks..

• @Janevski said:
    cncking2000 DOCSIS 3.0?

Yes, Zoom 5341J, 8/8 channel downstream 2/4 upstream used.

@fitvpn - Always has. I wish the ratio was not so extreme, 5/1 ratio like before would be nice, that would a least put the upload in the 25mbit range.

@David_P, I've had IPv6 from Comcast for over a year here, glad to hear that your on board. The native IPv6 is just as performant as their IPv4 stuff, and I have a local /64 that hasn't changed since I installed the Zoom, I think the IPv6 network addresses are based off your modem MAC.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • Mine is ok I guess.