Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Network Issues (Australia)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Network Issues (Australia)

So for the past 7 days or so both of my vultr instances have been having a less than 'merry' time network wise.

About 2-3 times a day there have been 30 minutes to 2hr periods where both instances of mine would just cry and run to the nearest corner, (Huge pings, Lotta Packet loss, and Altogether unreachable).

Support tickets have been of little use, with a simple response 'we'll forward this to our network department' with no other responses 3 days after, at the point of which i'm now seeking compensation, but again the ticket is in a lacking of replies.

So, am i just an unlucky Aussie bastard, or is this happening to anyone else that is using vultr?

@DaveA

Comments

• Yes, mine have been exactly the same too. It's insane with the bad support :(

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • No multihoming I guess ;)

• Or a RAID problem

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@tr1cky said:
    No multihoming I guess ;)

I'm having the same issue. I'm with the ISP they are with, it must be Vultr internal networks.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @trewq said:

Their line is probably just saturated and they don't have a second backup-line.

• Yep, having issues with their Sydney instances. Running a couple of CSGO servers and it isn't pleasant at all, was just about to submit a ticket but I see theirs no point.

• I assume there is a reason for outage but it's classified information?

• @kcaj said:
    I assume there is a reason for outage but it's classified information?

hahahahahahaha

• My friend from Aus just said he's downloading a torrent at 60mbps. He must be using all of Australia's bandwidth up, sorry guys.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @hostnoob said:
    My friend from Aus just said he's downloading a torrent at 60mbps. He must be using all of Australia's bandwidth up, sorry guys.

Impossible, they're 10Gb/s multihomed in every location.

*Disclaimer: As advertised on their website.

Thanked by 2Maniac Lee
  • @kcaj said:

why are you disclosing classified information ?

• How could this happen? They're using Intel processors!

• ayy lmao

• @kcaj said:

Take a screenshot, it will probably last longer.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2014

/ me sitting in the corner, laughing silently... Multihomed... Yeah.

• To be fair multihomed doesn't mean much. One could be multihomed (dual homed) to Cogent and He for instance, or single homed to some quality upstream. Which one would you choose?

@rds100 said:
    To be fair multihomed doesn't mean much. One could be multihomed (dual homed) to Cogent and He for instance, or single homed to some quality upstream. Which one would you choose?

They are singles homed to internode as far as I'm aware. It's more than adequate for an Australian server.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • rds100 said: To be fair multihomed doesn't mean much. One could be multihomed (dual homed) to Cogent and He for instance, or single homed to some quality upstream. Which one would you choose?

Nobody can make the choice for themselves if it isn't advertised accordingly on the providers website.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @trewq said:

Screw that, firenet all the way ;)
    CloudCommando will come to Sydney and I will not rest until it is done.

PS: I'm on Internode.

@0xdragon said:

Vocus and Internode, that's a nice combo.

Out again.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

@trewq said:

It seems that Vultr no longer peers with Internode on their Sydney location. Only through Equinix and Vocus at the moment.

From Vultr SYD to Internode:

traceroute to 121.45.23x.xxx (121.45.23x.xxx), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  10.247.2.1 (10.247.2.1)  0.664 ms  0.864 ms *
     2  27.111.243.213 (27.111.243.213)  41.306 ms  41.314 ms  41.489 ms
     3  xe-0-0-0.gw101.sy3.ap.equinix.com (27.111.240.136)  62.802 ms  62.805 ms  62.793 ms
     4  xe-0-1-1.gw101.sy1.ap.equinix.com (27.111.240.144)  41.441 ms  41.712 ms  41.712 ms
     5  as4739.syd.equinix.com (202.167.228.20)  41.702 ms  41.704 ms  41.704 ms
     6  ae3.cr1.mel8.on.ii.net (150.101.33.27)  92.073 ms  90.843 ms  90.808 ms

From Internode Perth to Vultr:

3    16 ms    15 ms    14 ms  xe-0-0-1.cr1.per1.on.ii.net [150.101.33.94]
      4    14 ms    16 ms    15 ms  vocus.ix.waia.asn.au [198.32.212.55]
      5    65 ms    65 ms    66 ms  ge-0-0-0-18.cor01.per02.wa.VOCUS.net.au [114.31.
    206.82]
      6    66 ms    67 ms    68 ms  ten-0-2-0-7.cor03.syd03.nsw.VOCUS.net.au [114.31
    .206.126]
      7    65 ms    66 ms    70 ms  ten-1-0-0.bdr03.syd04.nsw.VOCUS.net.au [175.45.7
    2.73]
      8    65 ms    68 ms    65 ms  as17819.cust.bdr03.syd04.nsw.VOCUS.net.au [175.4
    5.73.194]
      9    65 ms    66 ms    65 ms  xe-1-0-0.gw102.sy3.ap.equinix.com [27.111.240.13
    9]
     10   138 ms   138 ms   142 ms  27.111.243.214
     11   134 ms   132 ms   130 ms  108.61.212.117.vultr.com [108.61.212.117]

• edited December 2014

trvz said: How could this happen? They're using Intel processors!

Perhaps AMD slipped one in?

rds100 said: To be fair multihomed doesn't mean much. One could be multihomed (dual homed) to Cogent and He for instance, or single homed to some quality upstream. Which one would you choose?

Good point, however i think the hostility, in large part, stems from the assholish behaviour the owner displayed here and obviously providing false information on their website and being opaque/vague about it when pressed for an answer. But i guess the name of the hoster fits the owner.

On a related note is there a website which offers upstream provider tests and provides some sort of ranking between them? As far as i know it largely depends on where you use which upstream provider so there can be no clear cut ranking? Or in other words, how do you know if an upstream provider is a quality upstream provider(in the region where you intend to use it)?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Admiral_Awesome said: Good point, however i think the hostility, in large part, stems from the assholish behaviour the owner displayed here and obviously providing false information on their website and being opaque/vague about it when pressed for an answer.

Yeah, otherwise there would have been nobody nitpicking, except and odd customer now and then, but now we have dedicated people looking for flaws...

Thanked by 1Lee
  • There was a news post about downtime in sydney and then a later post an hour later saying issues where resolved, which obviously had nothing to do with the network seen as the only reason i checked the news was because my instances where lacking in the connectivity department well after issues where 'Resolved'.

I am constantly seeing blips ranging from 5 to 15 minutes. Is anyone else seeing this or should I get a new uptime monitor?

• @trewq said:
    I am constantly seeing blips ranging from 5 to 15 minutes. Is anyone else seeing this or should I get a new uptime monitor?

What monitor are you currently using?

• @trewq said:

I'll put a Observium monitor on one.

• @0xdragon said:
    I'll put a Observium monitor on one.

Observium isn't a reliable means of monitoring uptime. Does it check from 2 locations?

• @kcaj said:
    Observium isn't a reliable means of monitoring uptime. Does it check from 2 locations?

I'll put my beta website monitoring on it then, it checks from 5 locations :)