Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help - KernelCare Licences
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help - KernelCare Licences

Hey guys,

Know where I can pick up a few KernelCare licences cheaply? I need a couple to help protect my systems :)

Thanks,
0xdragon.

Comments

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

We order from licensecart, and zero issue. I recommend them.

• Very Cheap - http://bit.ly/1AEEEuO

Thanked by 1cassa
  • @davidgestiondbi said:
    We order from licensecart, and zero issue. I recommend them.

Thank you for your recommendation David, and thank you for your custom :).

• @0xdragon - which OS are you using? I think some OS can get KSplice for free.

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

Maybe talk to buycpanel? They sell them as well.

Thanked by 1BuyCPanel_Alex
  • @MarkTurner said:
    0xdragon - which OS are you using? I think some OS can get KSplice for free.

Debian 7.7

• Ksplice is available for the Desktop versions only. I don't think you can get new accounts anymore. You'll need to find someone with a grandfathered KSplice account :-)

• @DalekOfSkaro - I still have some systems running KSplice, but I wouldn't use Kernelcare on any production system. I can't have systems randomly installing patches.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @MarkTurner: We run KC only on the CloudLinux machines. Everything else runs KSplice. Luckily, we've had an account since 2011 and I'm glad we kept it :D

• @DalekOfSkaro - Make sure that KernelCare isn't auto-updating, I've seen customers lose blocks of machines at a time when things go wrong. KSplice is fine, I've been happy with that for 5-6 years now.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Noted, thanks :)

• @MarkTurner said:
    DalekOfSkaro - I still have some systems running KSplice, but I wouldn't use Kernelcare on any production system. I can't have systems randomly installing patches.

You know you can turn auto updating off and roll back with KernelCare?

nano /etc/sysconfig/kcare/kcare.conf 
    Set AUTO_UPDATE=False 

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @Licensecart - I don't use it. But we had a bunch of clients some quite large VPS providers who had their systems lock up or fail to update properly. One was notified that an update had applied to patch an OpenVZ priv escalation and then found that one of his customers had hit him with the exactly that exploit a few hours later.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

MarkTurner said: @DalekOfSkaro - Make sure that KernelCare isn't auto-updating, I've seen customers lose blocks of machines at a time when things go wrong.

Yeah, this.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Licensecart - I don't use it. But we had a bunch of clients some quite large VPS providers who had their systems lock up or fail to update properly. One was notified that an update had applied to patch an OpenVZ priv escalation and then found that one of his customers had hit him with the exactly that exploit a few hours later.

I dowt they would have been exploited because of a patch from KC, they fix issues not bring them. but OpenVZ has been hit lately and KernelCare only checks on your system every 4 hours...

• @Licensecart - I didn't say that. Reread my point

• @MarkTurner said:
    Licensecart - I didn't say that. Reread my point

Ah sorry you said they failed to update, it would depend when KC has their patch out and your server calls home.

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited December 2014

@Licensecart - Again you failed to understand.

The customer's server notified him that KernelCare had just installed a patch for XYZ exploit

So the assumption at this point is the patch for XYZ exploit is now applied and working

A few hours later the customer's server was exploited using that XYZ exploit that the KernelCare daemon had just confirmed was successfully applied.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • @MarkTurner said:

Unfortunately, this happens.

• @GoodHosting are you on Skype?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@MarkTurner said:
    Licensecart - I don't use it. But we had a bunch of clients some quite large VPS providers who had their systems lock up or fail to update properly. One was notified that an update had applied to patch an OpenVZ priv escalation and then found that one of his customers had hit him with the exactly that exploit a few hours later.

And the customer is 110% sure the system wasn't exploited before the update was made?

Thanked by 10xdragon