Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server requirements for website hosting/panel.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server requirements for website hosting/panel.

Hi all - seeking a little advice

I've started web design along side my normal job, it's more of a hobby at the min but will provide some income. Few of the websites to go up are for a pub and food place, nothing overly fancy at the min.

I was hoping to find out what sort of dedis you all use for websites and resources you generally use?

What do you think would be required for say cpanel or vestacp hosting say 20 websites all using up to ten email accounts?

I know it maybe hard to answer but I don't want to have loads of unused resources or not enough.

Comments

• 20 websites mm,

Not enough information at all, depends on traffic you get etc.

Apparently a VPS with 2/4GB RAM with cPanel will do the things.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

A 2GB VPS with either VestaCP or cPanel should be enough for 20 websites.

I would probably go with VestaCP since it is free and if one of your websites grow to large it would be pretty easy to move the website.

• Assuming there won't be too muCH traffic for such local site, vps should be fine

• krs360krs360 Member
    edited December 2014

@Mikho @sady @johnlth93 Okay, cool - I have some experience with VestaCP as well as Softa isn't built into it I can still use the remote version should clients want one click installs (all they have to do extra is to create the database in VestaCP.

The resources required are fairly small then by the sound of it. I would probably still look for dedicated, simply to remove the chances of node abuse and also disks in raid (even if it's raid 1 so there is some redundancy). I will keep offsite backups as well

• A VPS with RAID-10 will do much efficiently as well :) But you should choose a good provider like Crissic or Ramnode etc :)

If needed so i can send you my bash script made for wordpress installations, just need to create databases with hand & input those during execution :)

Best of luck with your project ;)

• @Sady - that would be cool if you could.

I started learning HTML & CSS a while ago which seems to be going rather well so for the most part the websites will be fairly static. One of the websites will need some sort of mailing list (I think they're wanting downloadable vouchers for people in the database) for food promos and alike.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Don't over do things in the beginning.
    A dedicated with raid will cost you a fair amount of money each month.
    Not to mention if you go the cPanel path the license will cost way more for a dedicated then a VPS.

Do you already have customers to fill up a dedicated?
    If you don't I suggest you start small and grow into to dedicated that you want.

Buying/renting a dedicated also puts more pressure on you as things line hardware failure will be upon you to monitor and then ticket the provider to fix where as going with a VPS "only" require you to monitor the system itself.
    The hardware is the providers headache. Not saying that a provider could fail and system could go offline for days but here is the kicker; if you go with "smaller" VPS i. The beginning its easier to move your customers if somethkng happens.

Where are most of your customers located? Who do they target? Are your customers customers local? The location is somewhat important to which providers to choose from.

If the target audience is mostly EU based, go with Providers who can offer EU locations. If US based, go with US based servers.
    The loading time for each site will look faster for the user and your customer will feel happy that they have chosen you to host their website. :)

• Agree with the VPS suggestion. I started using Reseller accounts but got fed up with restrictions imposed by the hosts (such as outgoing email throttling and not installing php extensions I needed) so moved to VPS. But you may find you need more than one if for example you run your own DNS servers and for backup/secondary mx for email. At the moment I have one dedi and five VPS's all doing different/duplicated things.

• @Mikho Thank you for the lengthy reply, I already have a couple of dedicated servers with online.net but in all honesty they are not for production purposes.

A VPS with a reputable provider could well be the way forward, and as you say the cpanel license is cheaper (although VestaCP may even suffice right now combined with softaculous.com remote) if they want to do their own installs.

Clients would be located in my local area to begin with, it'd be a slow start I'm not trying to take on the world from day one. It's something I enjoy doing and hopefully will provide a second source of income, which one day may replace having to sit in an office for 40 hours a week.

• @ittiger @mikho Yeah, I've setup backup mx before, also with VPS if I could get hold of a additional IPs that might also be handy in-case the client would prefer their own dedicated IP rather than having it shared.

• I suppose it depends on your clients but none of mine are interested in installing anything themselves. I used to use CPanel but they weren't even interested in having a login for that. The only thing some are interested in for a while is the stats but even then the novelty wears off after a while.

If you are going to be providing hosting as well personally I would do that on a separate server. Your own stuff you will keep up to date and patched so there is less likely hood of it being compromised. You don't have a lot of control of what others do and it is more likely to get hacked/cause problems (and yes it has happened to me before with some outdated installs of Joomla that got hacked).

• @krs360 said:
    Sady - that would be cool if you could.

Will made the ticket very shortly ;)

Currently have to change a few things as it's currently for a paid theme which i have to deploy a couple of times a week.

• Maybe just use something like Vultr/DO and just up your package as needed,