Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

want to setup a streaming server - less than 3 streams
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

want to setup a streaming server - less than 3 streams

Dear All,
Require your input on creating a streaming server because I want to re-stream camera from home to three users. The users will not increase 3 in any case. I will be using VLC so what is the minimum budget for it and should it a vps or a cheap dedi.
I can go for cheap dedis from online.net / delimiter or even kimsufi or any other provider that you can think of e.g budget is delimiter's $20 dedi box.
And if anyone who suggest that I use windows I have a windows 2003 and windows xp license so I can use those. Also have a win 7 32bit license so I can use that also, but i do not want to spend any monthly budget on windows apart from that.
Thanks in advance for help.
Regards.

Comments

• You can install windows on Vultr and use your own license

• Why not use a VPS ~7$/m, run Centos + Nginx RTMP = free? 3 users will fit in the 512MB of RAM and ~500GB-1TB bandwidth per month.

Thanked by 1gtrax
  • Well i am not very familiar with working on Nginx RTMP. Will have to check it. But as it is low cost so I will definitely give it a try. Thanks @khuongcomputer. Got any tutorial about it? just asking.

• Nginx RTMP is a good free combi.

Thanked by 2cassa gtrax
  • @gtrax said:
    Well i am not very familiar with working on Nginx RTMP. Will have to check it. But as it is low cost so I will definitely give it a try. Thanks khuongcomputer. Got any tutorial about it? just asking.

http://www.helping-squad.com/category/server/

Thanked by 1gtrax
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2014
    1. Buy a 3$/year ipv6 from Inception Hosting. Chose a location with max bandwidth (don't be bothered about ping aka location near you). If the users watch this camera 24/7, then, in a quality of 300kbps you will use around 350GB traffic. If not, you will use even less. Calculate your bandwidth needs:
      http://astream.com/html/bandwcalc.htm

2. Install nginx with rtmp support.
      This is a good tutorial: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-set-up-your-own-private-rtmp-server-using-nginx.50/

3. Set up a password for streaming, so, secure that nobody else can stream from your server.

Create a file in a server with this script in a .php file:

<?php
      // Example stream authentication

if ( !empty($_POST) ) {
              switch ( $_POST['call'] ) {
                      case "publish":
                              $publisher_ip = $_POST['addr'];

if ( isset($_POST['passphrase']) && $_POST['passphrase'] != NULL ) {
                                      // Check to see if this is a correct passphrase
                                      if ($_POST['passphrase'] = "uniquepasswordhere") {
                                              header("HTTP/1.1 202 Accepted"); // 2xx responses will keep session going
                                      } else {
                                              header("HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden"); // Drop the session - incorrect passphrase
                                      }
                              } else {
                                      header("HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden"); // Drop the session - no passphrase
                              }
                      break;
                      case "play":
                              // The same parameters - name, addr, etc. also work for playing streams over RTMP
                              // You could use the on_play parameter to authorize plays against this same file
                              // and perhaps limit plays to an IP address in a database, etc.
                              // to enforce a paywall or to track visits
                      break;
              }
      }
      ?>

4. Add this in your live application block in nginx.conf (you can find the file in the path /usr/local/nginx/conf/nginx.conf on your nginx server):
      on_publish http://www.my-domain-i-installed-the-password-file.com/path/to/authorize.php;

5. Install Flash Media Live Encoder.

Use as FMS URL your ip and application (rtmp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/live) and as stream path a word that you like (e.g. stream) followed by your password you setup inside the code in step 3 (e.g. stream?password=uniquepasswordhere)

6. Finally, setup a simple html page in a server, that you will include a flash player with the stream you created. A simple way is to use the ready freeware (but with logo) rtmp player from JWPlayer (you can create a player online with embed code via their site). Alternatively, you can setup a simple rtmp / fash player of your own including the .swf and other files in a server.

• @cassa thanks for the guide bro.
    @jvnadr Great help bro. I am going to use one of my ipv6 vpses on it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

jvnadr said: Install Flash Media Live Encoder.

I do not know where can I get this for free?

• netomx said: I do not know where can I get this for free?

FMLE is free. Flash Media Server is charged (overcharged, IMHO).

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash-media-encoder.html

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy gtrax