Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone use OwnCloud?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone use OwnCloud?

Im looking for DropBox alternatives and was wondering if anyone has had a good experience using OwnCloud http://owncloud.org/.

Comments

• Me, but I can't seem to get the manual installation right lmao, I have to rely on bitnami's installer (Apache and Windows Server, I know, I know..)

• OwnCloud is decent. I've installed it in the past on a Backupsy box.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

I use it, I have it running nicely on a debian+nginx box.

• @TriDoxiuM said:
    Me, but I can't seem to get the manual installation right lmao, I have to rely on bitnami's installer (Apache and Windows Server, I know, I know..)

Why are you installing it manually?

• @Brandon said:
    Why are you installing it manually?

From memory, there's no installation package that integrates with Nginx.

• owncloud vs btsync, which is better

• I'm using Pydio now. Because the iOS client is free :D

• I used owncloud a longer while ago, then stopped using it because of too many broken features/errors.

BTSync is very decent, but closed source. After an update it would not launch on my Windows 7 PC anymore (error message).

Then I used a kimsufi with rsync. Then its hard drive broke and OVH did not manage to replace it within a few days. Furthermore, new files copied to my external hard drive were corrupted all of a sudden.

Now I use Dropbox + EncFS, which has been uneventful. It just works.I can't wait for 1TB SSDs to become inexpensive, for not having to worry about hard drive corruption.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • I'd recommend Mega(.co.nz). You get 50GB for free. Or hubic with 100GB @ 1EURO/month.

• @Blanoz said:
    I'd recommend Mega(.co.nz). You get 50GB for free. Or hubic with 100GB @ 1EURO/month.

I forgot that I have tried hubic and mega as well (and crashplan -> slow and broken). I remember changing the directory in hubic (copied all the files over as well) and it uploaded all files twice, renaming all the original files. Furthermore, it limits bandwidth to 10 mbit/s. Useless.

The website of mega is very annoying (their JS makes my weak laptop freeze worse than any flash site could do). I used it for a month and then received an abuse notice for a file that I had shared in a forum. I asked support for the reason and they never replied.

• Anyone knows how to use direct link with owncloud? Like getcloudapp (Mac)

• I'm using owncloud to backup all my school stuff. It runs nicely, and never had a problem so far.

• Haven't had trouble with google drive so far, it's $2 for 100G. I use that along with spideroak for encrypted storage plus a few others

• @4n0nx said:

yeah that banwidth limit is a killer

• I installed OwnCloud on a dedicated server (mirrored to a large Prometeus VPS) for our office several months ago and we all are very happy with it.

• Running OwnCloud on my personal Digital Ocean box. I don't regret closing my Dropbox account at all.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Using it for a while on a $15/y RamNode VPS. It's quite good so far for three users.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Used owncloud and really liked it but I LOVE Pydio! So much more flexible and the app is free :)

• I love Owncloud. I use it for the CALDAV and CARDDAV contact sync, not for Files actually. I mostly use Syncthing for Files...

• Raymii said: I mostly use Syncthing for Files...

+1 for Syncthing, I do use owncloud for some files with syncthing syncing them to my desktop.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

agoldenberg said: Used owncloud and really liked it but I LOVE Pydio! So much more flexible and the app is free :)

Why? What are the pros/cons?

• Im using owncloud, and have been for over a year. There have been problems, but having ridden through multiple updates and versions, I think that it's becoming quite stable.

• @cncking2000 said:
    Im using owncloud, and have been for over a year. There have been problems, but having ridden through multiple updates and versions, I think that it's becoming quite stable.

What problems did you experience?

• It is very good and stable. The only problem is when syncronising working files. There is not any wy to delay syncronization, so, when you save the file it keep uploading continously. The only way is to set manually the file off sync until you stop working with it.

• it is a great solution for sync , I made a vm on my server with owncloud. it's really useful
    but also I use btsync which the best best solution for sync between multiple servers

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

I like the fact that you can have shared directories between users. The app for iOS has search and a few other little things here and there.

• JahAGRJahAGR Member
    edited December 2014

I've been using OwnCloud and the sync client for a year now or something and overall it has been a good experience. I'm only using the basic file functionality, there is all kinds of address book type stuff that I'm not using. To be fair it was pretty bad in the beginning but they seem to have cleaned it up. Had lots of issues with the server generating zillions of conflict files but that hasn't happened for a long time now

Still one or two lingering issues with the sync client sometimes breaking after the machine is resumed from sleep.

The Dropbox external storage integration is iffy.

Permissions management is good enough for the few other users that I have my folders shared with.

I was looking for a "dropbox clone" and owncloud fits the bill.

• Is anyone using Seafile? Curious how it compares to OwnCloud.

• @jvnadr said:
    It is very good and stable. The only problem is when syncronising working files. There is not any wy to delay syncronization, so, when you save the file it keep uploading continously. The only way is to set manually the file off sync until you stop working with it.

So you'll have to wait for the file to save and upload before you can save again?

• @jvnadr said:
    It is very good and stable. The only problem is when syncronising working files. There is not any wy to delay syncronization, so, when you save the file it keep uploading continously. The only way is to set manually the file off sync until you stop working with it.

So you'll have to wait for the file to save before you