Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WordPress. Can I use Custom CSS to replace footer text, and add my own with html link(s)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WordPress. Can I use Custom CSS to replace footer text, and add my own with html link(s)?

myhkenmyhken Member
edited December 2014 in Help

On most of my WordPress sites I edit the footer with my own text (c) by and a link to my website etc.
But every time there comes a new update to the themes, the custom text is gone.

I know about creating child themes etc (not used it, but I know about it). But I wonder if I can use Custom CSS to replace the footer text, with my own, including html links.
I'm already using Custom CSS for some other things, so I have it activated.

So far in my tests I have only get new text under the standard text in the footer. I have not found any CSS script that replace the footer text completely.

Do anybody know if this is possible, and if it is, can any body post the code I need in my Custom CSS to replace the text in the footer?
I want the name on the site at the left, then a (c) by Kenneth Myhre and a html link til my site.

Here is on of my site there new updated theme has replaced the footer text.
http://reviews.myhken.com/

Comments

• creepcreep Member
    edited December 2014

make your own plugin for that. refer here http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/wp_footer

Thanked by 1myhken
  • You can change any text with CSS. But you will need javascript to change href attribute.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • I created a child theme and put a copy of footer.php from the original theme and added a php statement to print out the Copyright.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Yes, you can change the footer using the css file but text that is set in the footer.php won't change if you update the css file.

From your description I take it that your css file only has the size/font/color/description of thentext that should appear in the footer and the actual text is set in footer.php.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Unless you make plugin or use plugin it will need to update footer file. Or you may store your footer info in DB and then call it by MySQL query.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Any more tips here...not found any good solution yet beside child theme.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited December 2014

You can use the before and after CSS selectors to add your own text:

.some_div::before { content : '\00a9 2014 SuperMan'; }

FYI search engines don't process CSS so if SEO is the aim then CSS is not the way to go about it. A child theme or plugin hooking into wp_footer are better.

edit: use \00a9 to get the copyright symbol

• @myhken said:
    Any more tips here...not found any good solution yet beside child theme.

What's wrong with a child theme? It's probably your best bet in the long-term.

Thanked by 2srvrpro myhken
  • Child theme will work. But how often does your theme update? Unless it is a major update, many WP footer.php files will not have any code changes. If you have copies of older footer code, compare to the current and decide how much effort is really needed to achieve what you are looking for.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Child theme is the way to go.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • CEO is not the aim, just want to have my name and link to my website on my customers sites.