Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of VPS am I looking for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What kind of VPS am I looking for?

hodgehodge Member
edited October 2011 in General

I have a number of python scripts that I am looking to run continuously and believe a VPS would be a great benefit to me, but I have no previous VPS experience. I would also like to be able to run a proxy server so that I can access US only content. I am located in Australia.

I am unsure of the requirements I would need to meet the above requirements, or which company/s I should be looking at.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• It depends what kinds of scripts you want to run...
    If they're basic, 128 MB would suit you well :)

• It's easier to use VPN than proxy for hulu and others, as their flash players try to connect directly, ignoring proxy settings. So you may want to find provider with tun/tap enabled and set up vpn. Also some IP ranges are blocked.

• It also depends on what those scripts are doing. You may need a more flexible provider than most.

What are those scripts doing?

• The python scripts are basic web crawlers

• fanfan Veteran

Maybe the Buyvm $15/yr 128mb is enough for your need.

• I know scrapers are against our ToS. Best bet would be to ask any provider you went with. Haven't seen many ToSes around here mention them.

Not saying that that's what you are doing. Just throwing that out there.