Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any cheap Mac OSX provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any cheap Mac OSX provider

dragonballz2kdragonballz2k Member
edited July 2012 in General

Does anybody know one that is around 9 dollars per month. It can shared not going to be using as server. I am going to use it so I can use remote desktop, VNC or whatever the provider offer.

Comments

• Yeah good luck with that.

I doubt there's anyone out there for MacOSX for your price.

• I doubt it, Apple's restrictions are really tough.

You can though install Darwin.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • dragonballz2kdragonballz2k Member
    edited July 2012

Well I guess I have to go with this service macincloud.com
    EDIT: is there any semi-cheap host

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

no, due to Apple's restrictions

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
  • Why do you want/need osx?

• AsadAsad Member

My uni has os x servers we can access from home, I don't think they'd be happy if I gave you login details though.

What about gettting a vmware/kvm machine and installing it yourself?

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

I have checked some Mac OSX providers
    but unfortunately.none of them charge cheap.

• +1 for Mac hosting being expensive. The cheapest (and thus far the only affordable option) is the one from virtualmacosx.com

Starting from $15 p/m is not a bad deal at all but my head is way to flat to understand what they offer for $15. Is it purely for the sake of online development for people who don't have Macs or is it an actual VPS? I just can't figure it out.

At $25 I am considering asking someone to go 50/50 and we can share the starter VPS but I don't think that is such a good idea...

I was actually hoping there would be more answers here than just:
    "No" and "they are expensive" :(

Could I perhaps ask for those of us here that come across Mac based VPSs to post it here so we can have a list of available hosts?

So far the only two sites that come to mind (i.e. the cheapest I have found) are:
    virtualmacosx.com - $15
    godaddy.com - $99

There is one guy who always comes up in Google at $5 for his beta but that beta hasn't started in years now so I think it is safe to assume his project is dead.

So now I pass the floor to you...

• @bijan
    In my case, I don't know linux and have chosen not to use windows in almost a decade. My current VPS costs me $6 for 1G Dedicated RAM and 1.2G burstable RAM on a dual core 2.something GHz CPU.

Excellent price but I am struggling with installing packages and currently it looks like I have 5 copies of Apache running and have no way of finding out if it is the case and if so, how to fix it. So I am truly struggling with Linux as I have never used it before getting my VPS.

Windows I abandoned 10 years ago because to me, Windows is just very poor selling for 'troublesome sh*t'. Every time someone asks me to help them with their systems I end up swearing in 5 minutes or less. Hate it!

Macs... I'm used to it and I know how to get things done. For example, installing XAMPP was a drag and drop affair. On Linux it took me 3 days to get PHP installed. On Windows, installing XAMPP is just as easy as on Macs but all the other nonsense like antivirus and driver conflicts and all that other jazz I want to avoid.

This is my reason for wanting a Mac VPS. It's a matter of being comfortable with it and knowing how to do what I want to do rather than struggling to figure out the OS's intricisies before being able to get anything done.

• @myBadStudios said: On Linux it took me 3 days to get PHP installed

Strange, considering most distributions and OS X have PHP pre-installed.

• Yeah. Tell me about it. I had apache installed but according to my Webmin control panel I had commented lines for PHP 4 but no actual running copy of PHP.

I wanted to use lamp but from the links on XAMPP's website I got to page where they said not to use it for anything other than private / local sites because it is configured to be insecure. Since I had no idea how to configure it to BE secure, I had to go the manual route and install MySQL and PHP manually. MySQL was installed before I knew it but PHP... I was so lost it wasn't even funny!

Then of course came Mono, which I was also told is pre-installed on most systems... yeah... I nearly chucked the whole VPS right there... :(

Not sure if this will mean anything to anyone here or not, but I am looking for a place to host games I make with the Unity games engine. I am using uLink so the server is just a normal copy of the game. As such, any platform I can run a Unity game on I can use. Up till now that meant Windows and Mac only. Now Linux is finally supported so I can look at Linux as a cheaper alternative to Mac or Windows... but I am way too new to Linux and struggling. I am now wasting time learning a new OS rather than spending time completing my game... Hence, my desire for a Mac VPS ...

• Never use XAMPP to setup LAMP or MAMP, its pointless.

Install Homebrew for OS X.

• flyfly Member

ugh homebrew.

compile your own binaries... brew is a clingy bitch

• XAMPP is not to be used in any production environments.

• @fly said: compile your own binaries... brew is a clingy bitch

Better then ShitPorts, which does not integrate into the OS what so ever. You end up with two copies of everything (eg OpenSSL) where Brew uses the built in OS X libraries and installs to /usr/local

• flyfly Member

that is true. brew is way better than macports, however it's really clingy and highly disagrees with multiple users