Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Russian VPSes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Russian VPSes

ValdikSSValdikSS Member
edited December 2014 in Offers

Hello.
As you may know, there is a crisis in Russia and $1 went up to 75 roubles from 45 a month ago.
There is a nice website http://vps.menu/ similar to lowendstock, where you can choose and compare VPSes.
200 Roubles ~ $2.8

It may be a good time to buy one.

Comments

• Interesting idea, now if only I spoke Russian. Heh.. maybe in a year or so there will be European/American sanctions that prevent them from processing VISA/etc. ...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@ValdikSS nice, is that your project?

• Any personal experience with BeriHoster? The annual 256MB plan for ~10USD looks very good.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @rm_, no, the authors are unknown. They got account on habrahabr http://habrahabr.ru/users/vps-menu/
    There is another project from Leonid239 — http://poiskvps.ru/

• @MuZo said:
    Any personal experience with BeriHoster? The annual 256MB plan for ~10USD looks very good.

Most Russian hosters are fine. I can remember only MCHost which is similar to 123systems except it is more expensive, scammed their clients and even made illegal graffiti advertisments

So stay away from it. Others are probably fine.
    You can search for the reviews, just use word "отзывы".

Thanked by 1MuZo
  • @ValdikSS which one you recommend?

• ValdikSSValdikSS Member
    edited December 2014

@ehab said:
    ValdikSS which one you recommend?

Last time I used VPS in Russia was 5 years ago from some company with "добро" in their name. Something like "Доброхост" or similar. So I cannot really recommend you anything.
    Maybe @rm_ can help?

By the way, this is important. For 2 years, we have internet censorship. You may not get access to some banned sites, mostly boards with anime like sankakucomplex, gelbooru, danbooru and similar (full list here http://antizapret.info/). I can't say for upstream VPS ISPs, but for home users some of the ISPs use DPI and ban only certain URLs and not the whole site, some ban IP address, some hijack DNS A-record.

• I just ordered a 128mb box at BerryHost. Lets see how this turns out.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
  • Yep, folks may use this situation for pay less in EUR or USD with old prices in Rubles..

• ValdikSS said: ValdikSS

@ValdikSS just unadequate Ukrainian, as well we seen..

• @fitvpn Excuse me? I'm Russian.

• @ValdikSS Haha, that's Russia. Pretty brave by them when you keep in mind, you have to send your ID when ordering a .ru domain..

• @nexusrain you can buy VPS without registering a domain.

• @ValdikSS said:
    nexusrain you can buy VPS without registering a domain.

Sure, I just meant because of the graffiti :) if they write their domain there and the registrar or whoever got the ID details..

• MuZoMuZo Member
    edited December 2014

I bought a 256MB VPS from BeriHoster. The port is capped to 8Mbps download and upload, you can see it hard set in the vemanager panel.

Previously I had a VPS from FirstVDS but there were a lot of network outages daily and I hope this one will perform better.

EDIT: also for people wondering, they do accept Paypal and you can set the billmanager panel in English

• MuZo said: I hope this one will perform better.

So far how is it working?

• @ValdikSS

Thanks for the list I signedup with berihoster.ru and its cool they they accept my low $2 deposit, but with that I have almost enough for 3 month. so thanks again for that link.

@MuZo
    Let me know how they are, I have not created a vps yet because I am saving money till I have a use for it lol. the 8Mbps limit sucks hmm I wonder what the connection would be like for someone in New York like me :-/

• @ben78 @Stevie

Quite good, just a random reboot this morning but way better uptime than FirstVDS for now.

2014-12-19 04:06:47     Reboot  Device rebooted after 2 days, 5h 53m 58s
    2014-12-17 00:36:49     Processor   Processor removed: type ucd-old index 0 descr CPU
    2014-12-16 22:23:16     System  Distro_ver -> 7.7
    2014-12-16 22:23:16     System  Distro -> Debian
    2014-12-16 22:23:16     System  Kernel -> 2.6.32-openvz-042stab094.7-amd64

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5520  @ 2.27GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  1199.778 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 256 MB
    Total amount of swap : 512 MB
    System uptime :   18:17,

Network isn't that good but for this price I excepted it

$ wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O /dev/null
    --2014-12-20 03:14:56--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)... 5.178.80.20
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)|5.178.80.20|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

8% [=========>                                                                                                                      ] 8,411,248    619K/s  eta 2m 44s  ^C

5.178.80.20 is in Selectel DC in St. Petersburg.

They also do some kind of disk caching

$ dd bs=1M count=256 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync ; rm test
    256+0 records in
    256+0 records out
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 4.86783 s, 55.1 MB/s

256+0 records in
    256+0 records out
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 0.642384 s, 418 MB/s

256+0 records in
    256+0 records out
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 0.635583 s, 422 MB/s

256+0 records in
    256+0 records out
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 0.680943 s, 394 MB/s

• @MuZo

Ok thanks so much for the info, well the speedtest is better then what I thought, and I would not do anything network intensive related so that would not be much of a problem.

But the random reboot already I do not like, after 2 weeks or a month keep us updated, I really hope this was just a rare hiccup

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Thanks!