Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with good backup systems and uptime.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with good backup systems and uptime.

paroxsiticparoxsitic Member
edited July 2012 in General

Most of the cheap hosts I try to go for all end up having some sort of error that was "not their fault" yet didn't have a solution to prevent or help the situation had it happens. Recently easevps.com's KS2 node crashed and they lost data on everything and they blamed it on a guy exchanging hard drives. They state in the email "We do not keep offsite backups of containers, so this means that all data is permanently lost, and we can not do anything to try and retrieve this."

OK. I want a 99.9999% full proof way that my data will always be safe and backup happens daily using offsite backups.

I also want an established host who will not go out of business in a year, and when they claim have 99.9% uptime, that it means my website will be up 99.9% time (as long as it's not my/servers fault). Not use up time marketing meaning something other than what I would expect.

If 99.9% isn't likely for low-end, then as low as 99% is acceptable as long as when it's down, there is a live chat where I can talk to someone and ask why, and get an ETA. So if the uptime is low, I want 24/7 live chat.

Furthermore I want a VPS who has a good DOWNLOAD speed, so that I serve files at the max of my 12000 kbps connection.

I can do completely 100% unmanaged. I need Debian OS. I prefer them in USA. I would like a control panel to start/stop VPS but it's not required.

Are these things even possible using just a single low end VPS? If not give me some solutions that are more expensive, or ways you would solve these 3 things that I want.

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

Go with a reputable LEB host, or pay more with another provider.

You should also keep your own backups.

• AsadHaider, which of the LEB host's offer everything I am after.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

@AsadHaider said: Go with a reputable LEB host, or pay more with another provider.

Look into BuyVM (if/when they have Stock), IPXCore ( @Damian should be good with most of these although don't quote me on it), SecureDragon (I believe @KuJoe is backup crazy so I wouldn't worry about that), EDIS ( @William and his fancy servers in Europe and basically all around the world), Hostigation with @miTgiB (again these are very reliable providers), GetKVM with @GetKVM_Ash, basically talk with them before you actually purchase it if you're really worried, although technically you SHOULD have a backup yourself just in case of a similar situation like what you just stated. This is just a very VERY short list of amazing providers here on LET and if I forgot you I'm sorry (don't hurt me!).

You should have a backup of your data on your local hard drive or somewhere else you can access it. I consider it your own personal responsibility and complaining about it all being lost without you even having a backup is as big of a mistake for EaseVPS as it is for you.

But complaining that "not their fault but they didn't have a solution to fix it" is kind of a crap reason too.

DDoS is a valid example of this and the solutions to this is mostly limited (for most datacenters and providers, its just nullrouting).

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Wait for raindog to offer vps. He is backup addict.

• err, I like LFCVPS. They have an offsite backup site that does it everyday and weekends. And you can restore at any time.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

+1 for BuyVM, SecureDragon - both are awesome providers.

I host client stuff on a few servers from IntoVPS who are IMO the best host I've ever been with. They aren't on here because there cheapest plan is above the $7 LET rule.

And those servers rsync nightly backups to a Hostigation backup server from @miTgiB.

I cancelled my EaseVPS server in case a reason such as the one which occurred happened.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@TheHackBox said: err, I like LFCVPS. They have an offsite backup site that does it everyday and weekends. And you can restore at any time

+1 I read their offer. Their hardware is great and have free offsite backup

• paroxsiticparoxsitic Member
    edited July 2012

I have already have one BuyVM, it was my first choice but I need something in the next few days and they are out of stock of the 1 GB at the moment.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

@paroxsitic Check out IntoVPS or ChicagoVPS? or any of the other providers recommended above.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

@paroxsitic:

North America

Europe

Other providers I don't remember right now because I should be working instead of on LET. Also, I'm using every provider on the list there and they've been nothing but awesome.

• @paroxsitic said: OK. I want a 99.9999% full proof way that my data will always be safe and backup happens daily using offsite backups.

You're better off keeping your own off-site backups, as you never know what the host has implemented for their "off-site backups".
    You'll have a better peace of mind personally knowing the backups are safe, and it usually works out cheaper.

@paroxsitic said: If 99.9% isn't likely for low-end, then as low as 99% is acceptable as long as when it's down, there is a live chat where I can talk to someone and ask why, and get an ETA. So if the uptime is low, I want 24/7 live chat.

Most low end providers don't provide live chat, yet alone true 24/7 support. In saying that, even the one man hosts have various alerts (phone) and will wake up in the middle of the night to fix an issue.

@paroxsitic said: Furthermore I want a VPS who has a good DOWNLOAD speed, so that I serve files at the max of my 12000 kbps connection.

This has more to do with the BGP of their datacenter. You may find Cognet will max out your connection, where as others may find Cognet to be horrible.
    If you're only concerned about your download speed, then use the speed tests as a good comparison.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@paroxsitic said: I have already have one BuyVM, it was my first choice but I need something in the next few days and they are out of stock of the 1 GB at the moment.

Just log a ticket.

If you're wanting to have a more redundant setup, we'll have New York online sometime at the start of next month.

Francisco

• @telephone said: In saying that, even the one man hosts have various alerts (phone) and will wake up in the middle of the night to fix an issue.

Yup. My phone will wake me up in the middle of the night from now on if they're down.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Francisco said: Just log a ticket.

What do you mean log a ticket? You mean we can get reservations? I've been wanting to have a 256vz, but it seems I have to wait til Aug 1 for the stock.

• u4iau4ia Member

@Francisco said: we'll have New York online sometime at the start of next month.

So what you're saying is, Soon™? :)

• u4iau4ia Member

@jcaleb said: What do you mean log a ticket? You mean we can get reservations? I've been wanting to have a 256vz, but it seems I have to wait til Aug 1 for the stock.

I think he meant log a ticket to pick up some leftover stock in SJ.

edited July 2012

@jcaleb said: What do you mean log a ticket? You mean we can get reservations? I've been wanting to have a 256vz, but it seems I have to wait til Aug 1 for the stock.

For current customers we have some VM's in SJ. You can contact billing and we'll see what we can do though :)

@u4ia said: So what you're saying is, Soon™? :)

We're actually just waiting on Matt at this point. The E5's are all done and just require burn in's. The network needs to be fully setup but that won't be done until Matt can ship from SJ.

Francisco

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited July 2012

@Francisco, what are the chances of getting an existing BuyVM container moved to NY? My 512MB OpenVZ instance is great, but I'm East Coast-based and the latency to CA can sometimes be a hard pill to swallow.

(BuyVM thread derailment! Déjà vu, anyone?)

@MrDOS said: @Francisco, what are the chances of getting an existing BuyVM container moved to NY? My 512MB OpenVZ instance is great, but I'm East Coast-based and the latency to CA can sometimes be a hard pill to swallow.

You'll have to move yourself alas. Since things are going to be very busy for us to get everything handled, you're welcome to buy a 512M in NY and migrate your data.

Sorry, I'm sure you were hoping we could just vzmigrate you but at this point there's simply going to be too much going on :(

Thanks for the interest and business,

Francisco

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: SecureDragon (I believe @KuJoe is backup crazy so I wouldn't worry about that)

Our KVM VPSs come with free weekly backups but our OpenVZ VPSs costs an additional $0.50/month if you want weekly backups on any of the OpenVZ plans.

• we do backups to Amazon S3 for free

• You've already got some good suggestions here, with Hostigation and BuyVM, both of which I have boxes with.
    If you're going for the USA - +1 from me.

If you're looking for somewhere in Western Europe though, VirtIO do however have automatic offsite backups (as defined by you), you simply turn it on on in the OnApp panel.
    It then gets send off nightly to a server in another UK datacentre with a RAID6 setup.

• subinsubin Member

I use my webfaction account to do backup. 100GB is big enough for me.

@FRCorey said: we do backups to Amazon S3 for free

Care to explain?

• JacobJacob Member
    edited July 2012

The event that happened with the hard drives, Was that the technician at datashack(Russ Roberts, I'll shame you), Pulled two hard drives out of the already existing RAID 10 Configuration, You are supposed to do this Individually to avoid what we experienced, Which was a RAID Crash and then a Kernel panic.

I crossed it out to about two options, Which after reading online I found that it could be possible, but with datashack's support and there supposed " technicians", This wasn't going to happen.

Next solution was to recover two drives from the previous array and then reinstall a new OS, Etc..(I didn't suggest this, but it was the only option left).

After that and Datashack attached the drive via a USB Docking station(or something similar), I tried to mount the first drive that was recovered from the previous array(sdc), It was not mounting, and then (sdd) was also not mounting, so at this point DataShack's support and suggestions had been useless.

This was not a direct fault on our end, but a fault on datashack's behalf. In the ticket the support was terrible, I had to keep making different tickets to actually recieve a response(8 hours+ without responses).

At this point, I thought it is pointless to even keep trying, My last alternative was to just recreate each and every VPS.

From now on, Each container will have weekly offsite backups, Restorable via ticket.

@paroxsitic said: Recently easevps.com's KS2 node crashed and they lost data on everything and they blamed it on a guy exchanging hard drives. They state in the email "We do not keep offsite backups of containers, so this means that all data is permanently lost, and we can not do anything to try and retrieve this."

• flyfly Member

lfcvps

• You can't expect the world for LEB prices, you can expect high network uptime IMHO but backups are something unmanaged providers tend to leave to the clients.

We accept zero responsibility for your data but can provide off site space to make your own.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • pcanpcan Member

@Francisco said: If you're wanting to have a more redundant setup, we'll have New York online sometime at the start of next month.

Could you explain the redundancy improvements in NY over the current SJ setup?

@pcan said: Could you explain the redundancy improvements in NY over the current SJ setup?

Yea, there's a whole country splitting the two distance wise :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Francisco

That name sounds so familiar. But where did I hear it before? I think it was someone who used to be on here a while back. I just can't put my finger on it...

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • yomeroyomero Member

@GetKVM_Ash said: You can't expect the world for LEB prices, you can expect high network uptime IMHO but backups are something unmanaged providers tend to leave to the clients.

This
    If I read, you are looking for providers with the backup system working.
    None of the suggested stuff here uses it ¬_¬ I don't know why again "BuyVM and SD are great!" and so. (Yes they are, but the people here doesn't read the posts...).

I don't know a provider with this feature =/

So, the only post that may help you...

@TheHackBox said: err, I like LFCVPS. They have an offsite backup site that does it everyday and weekends. And you can restore at any time.

End

If someone else know another tell us n_n...