Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can we expected from managed VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What can we expected from managed VPS

iSkyiSky Member

Hi, i just wondering what can i expected if i have managed vps. What service from the provider ussually offer ? can i expect them to help me migration from my unmanaged vps to their managed vps ? Thanks in advance

Comments

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited December 2014

They should migrate you and they should provide you a server with basic hardening on the new vps. What has happened at your new host? And they should do what is requested of your new VM.

• @MSPNick said:
    They should migrate you and they should provide you a server with basic hardening on the new vps. What has happened at your new host?

no problem, i just dont have experienced yet on managed vps, i used to unmanaged server for vpn purpose only. but i have client now that need hosting on vps. so i just wondering what can i expected if i pay for managed server......

• Majority of hosts include cpanel/whm on your new VM. This is the new standard these days.

They should listen to you and get right on it.

Thanked by 1iSky
  • Depends who is managing it and what you have agreed on.

Many SysAdmin's will offer different levels of management from installing cPanel so you can host your own and running system updates to fully managed where the sysadmin even uploads files/sets up e-mail accounts etc.

If your looking to get a managed service I would drop them a e-mail before signing up just to check what is/isn't covered.

Thanked by 1iSky
  • "Managed Services" is not well-defined or universal in what is included or not. Your best (only) bet, as @wych mentioned, is to speak with the company and clarify these things before ordering.

Also note the difference between "regular" managed services and proactive managed services. While the former will perform actions upon receiving a ticket, proactive services will (depending on their offerings), do things like updating your server on a routine basis, without you having to request it each time.

Thanked by 2iSky Admiral_Awesome
  • There is different levels of management and different offerings basically depend on price (but ask the provider first) ... I can tell you a story form managed worpdress hosting there is services which is managed by active WP developers even some of them knows and talk (not on daily /but maybe monthly basis) with WP Core developers and you can receive some dev support included (on plugins which is not authored by them) and their is godaddy managed wordpress hosting from $6.95 which decide that they can charge $2 a month more on hosting with WP installed and call it managed to profit from a booming market... https://support.godaddy.com/help/article/8926/what-is-managed-wordpress

Same here with management some just got you cPanel installed and configure it to auto update.. Other can give you solution for your needs > Custom OS install, Custom Webserver, Microcache Varnish Cache setups. Custom Database tuning, proactive monitor and tuning of the OS and database so they do not ask you to upgrade to bigger plan... and you can find someone to that on horurly paied basys...

so to know what you will receive you must ask managed provider...

P.S In some places vps can be moved even more basic service levels if your old provider give you the hole vm /container as a file, but you will got your old system...

• As others said, ask the provider. I don't have much experience with managed VPS, but most of the time, cPanel managed VPS providers do not help migration from other server without cPanel.

• Can someone suggest me which provider i must go with if i need a managed vps and handle data migration from my old vps without cpanel to their managed vps with cpanel ?