Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Network lagging, how to discover root cause?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Network lagging, how to discover root cause?

Hello, on the dedi server, the network lagging (yum running 30 minutes already, downloads running few kb/s. It ran 30Mb/s but when i launched second rsync at same time it started lagging and even after terminating rsyncs, the network lagging.

im connecting from Czech republic, at same time on another server (also USA based), mtr goes quick and without issues.

I want to ask, how to discover where is the issue. I mean if it is right on this dedicated server, how to discover it. thx

Comments

• postcdpostcd Member
    edited December 2014

UPDATE:
    When i run two rsync in two SSH session windows it is OK for some minutes, but when i run one of the rsync in Linux "screen", it start immediatelly lagging and even after terminating transfers networking is lagging untill server restart. that is strange
    by "lagging", i mean transfer is a few tens of kB/s and very slow response on keyboard inputs

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2014

It is either throttling to the bone or a faulty card with buffers dead or something along those lines.
    To be on the safe side try this:

echo 'net.core.wmem_max=12582912' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo 'net.core.rmem_max=12582912' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo 'net.ipv4.tcp_rmem= 10240 87380 12582912' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo 'net.ipv4.tcp_wmem= 10240 87380 12582912' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo 'net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo 'net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo 'net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo 'net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save = 1' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo 'net.core.netdev_max_backlog = 5000' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

then

sysctl -p

Make sure you have a copy of the old sysctl.conf if there is no improvement, also, the first 4 lines are very safe, the others might create issues in some conditions so it would be best to try the first 4 first, if it improves a lot, no need for the others, if not, go through all, something might be mucked further along the line.