Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reasonable time frame for IP request?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reasonable time frame for IP request?

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited July 2012 in General

A simple question to a community with many who should have an opinion on just such a matter, what would you consider a reasonable time frame between requesting additional IPs and receiving them, provided all of your IPs are currently in use and you have provided sufficient justification?

Comments

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited July 2012

Every time i request them i get them in about 3 hours, but 24 hours seems reasonable.

I might have just been treat well with my provider though.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm on day 9.

• 1-16hrs depending on timezone and ip availability...

• rds100rds100 Member

It depends. Sometimes it might be "forever" depending on your past history and what you have written in the request :)

• @jarland said: I'm on day 9.

Is it datashack?

FDC Denver

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited July 2012

Day 9 is bad - really bad. Have they updated you regarding it?

Not a word, I've asked a couple times. This is the test phase for this server but with 17 IPs this server will be decommissioned before it gets any real use. It's too bad, because other than some minor network issues that they're also looking into very slowly, it has actually performed quite well.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@jarland said: that they're also looking into very slowly

I think that is your clue this might not be the location for you if you are testing and receiving poor response times, what's to say when you have something important come up, they get back to you 3 days later, in the mean time your customers flock the exit doors. It's might be simple to resolve by running it up the flag pole though, but I always worry about making a stink, noc monkeys remember things like that, and the next time you need assistance, you become the last man on earth.

Thanked by 1jar

I think that's a very fair point.

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

As IPv4 is in a shortage we all know,request accpeted in 3 days is quite acceptable from my point.

• flyfly Member

yeah, fdc is really good if you're looking for high resource->price ratio, but if you want to upgrade, they're not as strong on the services side.

@Zen said: Not really, host will have many IPs ready to be assigned - they will not need to request 32 extra IPs just for one client.

But you have to take something complex into consideration,i mean,what if many clients asking for addtional ips at the same time? you have to spare time to check those IP justifications submitted.

anyway,i just stated a small probability event....ignore me..

@fly said: yeah, fdc is really good if you're looking for high resource->price ratio, but if you want to upgrade, they're not as strong on the services side.

+1

edited July 2012

Well it turns out that there may have been some miscommunication on both sides, and the network performance was fixed a few days ago but from my temporary location it's difficult to notice it with my local monitors as a 200ms ping from here is actually wonderful. I won't pretend that I wouldn't have complaints about any location, because I like to complain, but I'll give them another shot. Certainly no plans to upgrade this system as I'd rather add a node than increase one's capacity. That isn't to say the next node will be there though ;)

• 3-5 days. Most of the times forever due to hard cover the requirements :) It is like police investigation asking for /27 /26 IP network nowadays.