Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1u server need colocation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1u server need colocation

ifanscoifansco Member
edited December 2014 in Requests

I have a 1U server at Denver,CO with FDC colocation service for 3 years.

Now, I want to move it to anyother datacenter which can provide 1U rackspace + 1.5 amp power + 10 mbps unlimited bandwidth at a low end price.

my budget <= $40/mo

Comments

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited December 2014

Are you looking for a colocation deal or for the hardware to colocate? Your question is kinda confusing.

Thanked by 1flufsor
  • @DalekOfSkaro said:
    Are you looking for a colocation deal or for the hardware to colocate? Your question is kinda confusing.

yes
    sorry for my poor english

1u server need colocate service

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

ifansco said: 1u server need colocate service

But why do you talk about Windows then? I don't understand.

• @perennate said:
    But why do you talk about Windows then? I don't understand.

OS need

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

ifansco said: OS need

So you want dedicated server hosting? Or you mean you want to buy a server from someone, buy Windows license from someone else, and then buy colocation from another person, but just asking in single topic?

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

Providers typically can't load windows on colo machines, spla doesn't allow that. For colo you would load your own os. Budget is low.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Be careful with FDC, it's winter here in Colorado so expect a lot of outages over the next few months.

• @perennate said:
    So you want dedicated server hosting? Or you mean you want to buy a server from someone, buy Windows license from someone else, and then buy colocation from another person, but just asking in single topic?

sorry for my poor english. I have rewrited the topic and the content.

• Not as cheap as FDC, but better quality in my humble opinion. Also located in Denver, so shipping or what have you would be less of an issue. I'll do $10 off any package for 6 months.

http://www.tacservers.com/colocation.html

Note: I own this.

Thanked by 2ifansco sirmbhe

cncking2000 said: Note: I own this.

Note: I have a personal server colocated with TACServers and it's been awesome. Took a tour of the data center and it's one of the better ones I've seen.

• Chinese?

_> @cncking2000 said:

Not as cheap as FDC, but better quality in my humble opinion. Also located in Denver, so shipping or what have you would be less of an issue. I'll do $10 off any package for 6 months.

http://www.tacservers.com/colocation.html

Note: I own this.

• ifansco said: Chinese?

How do you know that?

• @Kujoe - Thanks! I believe that we chose well when we picked our Denver location, I am glad to hear you liked it.

@ifansco - Unfortunately, I have none able to speak Chinese, but I have no issue with Chinese customers.

• @cncking2000 Do they rack and configure the server (IPMI/KVM) for free?

• because his nickname cncking2000 is very nomarl in China.
    I' m Chinese. lots of my friends always use this kind nickname, just like cntank2001, cnboy1983.
    ****> @XeepiHosting_Joe said:

How do you know that?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • you trust your hardware in a company offering you such cheap service?
    you could very easily lose it or never get it back

• ifansco said: because his nickname cncking2000 is very nomarl in China. I' m Chinese. lots of my friends always use this kind nickname, just like cntank2001, cnboy1983. ****> @XeepiHosting_Joe said:

Thanks for the idea of naming, I shall use cnjoe2014 as nick name in the future, very cool hah.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

ItsChrisG said: you trust your hardware in a company offering you such cheap service? you could very easily lose it or never get it back

1. So nobody should offer cheap colo;
    2. If Kujoe recommends someone, I trust him, especially since he is from the area.
  • thanks > @Maounique said:

thanks a lot

• @KuJoe said:

I will shipping my server to your company some days later。

• luck:

I am available 1U 2AMP 100Mbps $ 40.00

• TACServersTACServers Member
    edited December 2014

Lots of comments, lets get through them all.

@0xdragon said:
    cncking2000 Do they rack and configure the server (IPMI/KVM) for free?

You will be provided one IP, and will be responsible for configuring it. If additional IP's are ordered, you will be provided the information for those as well. We can setup a bare server, but that is outside the LET scope of pricing, sorry.

@ifansco said:
    because his nickname cncking2000 is very nomarl in China.

cncking2000 is a really old username I've used since playing Command and Conquer.

@ItsChrisG said:
    you trust your hardware in a company offering you such cheap service?
    you could very easily lose it or never get it back

I would be glad to sign an NDA and discuss financials, but rest assured, I have a 5 year lease, 2 years paid up front, and this is NOT my only source of income. I am a well paid IT Manager for a large company as well. Some people choose to lease everything, My only monthly cost is the colo racks. I own my own servers, network hardware, all of it.

@Maounique said:

Thank you for the faith! I am not a pump and dump provider, nor am I one to oversell myself into oblivion. The service is cheap because, well, BW isn't gobs, and other than that, power and space are negligible. I hope to impress people enough that they are going to start buying more bandwidth, or dedicated connections. We are on net with Level3, CenturyLink, Verizon, Yipes, XO, Zayo, twtelecom, and Comcast, and any customer can feel free to contact any of these carriers or a broker and obtain their own bandwidth as well.

• cncking2000 said: Thank you for the faith! I am not a pump and dump provider, nor am I one to oversell myself into oblivion. The service is cheap because, well, BW isn't gobs, and other than that, power and space are negligible. I hope to impress people enough that they are going to start buying more bandwidth, or dedicated connections. We are on net with Level3, CenturyLink, Verizon, Yipes, XO, Zayo, twtelecom, and Comcast, and any customer can feel free to contact any of these carriers or a broker and obtain their own bandwidth as well.

This openness just wants me to colocate a server with you, even though I don't have a serious project that needs one!

Will certainly keep a tab on your company!

cncking2000 said: Thank you for the faith!

Actually, my faith was with Kujoe, I would trust his recommendation.
    At personal levels I had issues with him, but on a professional level he knows what he is doing, I do not recall him providing such a backing for someone and I am quite impressed in that regard. Adding the fact he was actually there and is from the area+using your service, then it must be really something.

• @Maounique said:

Your faith, whether with Kujoe, or his recommendation, still reflects upon my business, as it is what has been recommended. I appreciate your faith in him recommending my name, as you are a long standing forum member. I haven't asked for any referrals, and I thank @KuJoe for the mention.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

KuJoe said: Note: I have a personal server colocated with TACServers and it's been awesome. Took a tour of the data center and it's one of the better ones I've seen.

Is it just me or does their bandwidth seem really expensive compared to other colo providers?

http://www.tacservers.net/colocation.html

raindog308 said: Is it just me or does their bandwidth seem really expensive compared to other colo providers?

I don't know, in the past year I have seen a tendency to lower prices and increase network quality in EU and an opposite situation in US. Just recently a DC in US started to reject even relay Tor nodes, no doubt because they tend to use the traffic paid, while providers like online.net offer shared Gbit for 2 Eur a month along with a small dedicated server where I am doing like 1 TB a day. I also have unlimited traffic on a 1 Gbit port in romania with 1U colo and 4 IPs for 26 EUR. The same provider I am with here recently increased again US colo prices. It is either the power, the network or a combination of those+cost for the surveilance that is driving prices up in US. The only downside in EU is the higher IP costs (unless you are from Romania).

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom

raindog308 said: Is it just me or does their bandwidth seem really expensive compared to other colo providers?

Yes, it seems expensive but in reality their pricing is on par with what I am paying at other locations that don't have Cogent or HE in the mix. According to what @cncking2000 told me, larger commits are pretty cheap but from a business stand point getting large commit and operating at a loss for X months doesn't make as much sense as ramping up the bandwidth commit as needed and offering more bandwidth to clients as the company grows.

As he stated in a previous post, as his client base grows he can buy more bandwidth and as he buys more bandwidth the prices will get cheaper for him and his clients. About a month ago when we were nailing down the specifics he only offered 100Mbps ports but then he upgraded his switches and now all of the ports are GigE capable (my port shows GigE but I believe they are throttled to 100Mbps after a certain threshold). So his network is ready and willing to accept more clients.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • TACServersTACServers Member
    edited December 2014

The curse of no volume is in play here. Let take a look at what you are getting. For $49.99, you get 1U of space, 2Amps of Battery/Generator backed power, and a dedicated 250GB of transfer. This is all on a premium network, with no HE or Cogent. If you were to allocate that over a 30 day period, you'd be at 2mbit dedicated bandwidth. If you were to pre-load your backups onto your colo server, as long as your not creating over 250GB of new data every month, its a great backup server location being central to the US, and free from all but blizzards and cold. No earthquakes, or hurricanes.

I don't oversell what I have. I have seen with my own eyes the provider the OP is using currently. Your looking at a core with a few 10gbit connections, feeding 96+ 24 port switches. With all of those 24 ports on those 96 customer switches being gigabit, we are looking at an oversell ratio of nearly 100 to 1, and guess what? It works. Noone uses their port to the max all the time, so they can get away with it. If I had over 1100 colo customers, you can bet your ass I'd have a few premium 10 gig pipes. When your making $40,000 a month, the cost of a $3,000-$6,000 10 gig circuit is chump change.

Thanked by 1raindog308

cncking2000 said: The curse of no volume is in play here. Let take a look at what you are getting. For $49.99, you get 1U of space, 2Amps of Battery/Generator backed power, and a dedicated 250GB of transfer. This is all on a premium network, with no HE or Cogent. If you were to allocate that over a 30 day period, you'd be at 2mbit dedicated bandwidth. If you were to pre-load your backups onto your colo server, as long as your not creating over 250GB of new data every month, its a great backup server location being central to the US, and free from all but blizzards and cold. No earthquakes, or hurricanes.

I don't oversell what I have. I have seen with my own eyes the provider the OP is using currently. Your looking at a core with a few 10gbit connections, feeding 96+ 24 port switches. With all of those 24 ports on those 96 customer switches being gigabit, we are looking at an oversell ratio of nearly 100 to 1, and guess what? It works. Noone uses their port to the max all the time, so they can get away with it. If I had over 1100 colo customers, you can bet your ass I'd have a few premium 10 gig pipes. When your making $40,000 a month, the cost of a $3,000-$6,000 10 gig circuit is chump change.

None of that is customer's fault. If you cannot take it on par with the big guys on resources, you can make it up in other areas such as support, or simply resell someone else or band up together with others, or get a big fat HE pipe and give a choice, either 250 GB on premium or all you can eat on HE. Clear channel 1 Gbps up to 250 GB premium or 100 Mbps mix of Cogent+premium or oversell until you notice problems, then the overselling will allow you to get a new line to aleviate the problems, rinse and repeat.
    Saying I dont oversell and dont do HE/Cogent is only an excuse for I have only low traffic plans because I either dont have the skills or the imagination to make it work. Or, Cogent/HE are significantly worse in US than in EU.

Thanked by 1soda