Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BoxCtrl, server management programs, and a waiting list... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BoxCtrl, server management programs, and a waiting list...

Comments

• @Corey said: want everything for nothing.

@Corey said: Was just saying it's a particular market that you can't sell a $49/mo server management package to.

Not the same thing.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @Taylor looks the same to me since that is what this whole thread is about.

• @Corey said: I think the general MO of the community here is that they want everything for nothing.

Nothing against LET, but it's true for a lot of people here. Since posting this thread, I've had multiple people tell me $50/month for five servers ($10/server) was just too expensive for them. The requests I've received so far range between "if you can manage my servers for free, I'll hook you up with a free server of your own" to "I'd be interested if you could give me a 50% discount". Yeah, thanks, but no thanks.

Like I said before, I'm not turning a panel into a required job on my part. It was going to be a side-project or nothing. I'm not going to sell one directly, start a kickstarter project, or anything else like that... If any of you want to do it, go for it, but be prepared for the amount of bullshit that comes with something like that.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Anyway, what were you going to include in that ovz node management plans?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

For the record, just to say I said it, you'd be surprised how many of us want to donate toward your project but have no need for server management. I thought it when I first saw the thread, but I figured you'd get bites on that anyway so it didn't need to be said. The crap responses you got were for server management when the reputable people here don't need it, but would do anything for a decent SolusVM alternative. At the end of the day, I can manage what I've got, but I'll be the first to tell you I can't make a control panel.

So if you ever change your mind, let me know where to donate.

• Here's the thing, when I tried the public open source panel project in the past, it became way more trouble than it was worth in less than a month. People demanded everything for nothing and expected me to care. One guy went as far as calling me at home, multiple times, demanding I walk him through a problem he was having. I ended up blocking his number, only to have him find me on Facebook and start spamming me there.

And people talk about donations, but that rarely works out for any kind of project. I could name some very large open source projects who barely break $100/month in donations.

And then there's support... create a panel, but only charge for support. It ends up becoming just like donations (unless you're Red Hat).

Anyway, I've already heard the term "SolusVM alternative" multiple times, which means that's just one more thing to add to the list. This was never meant to be a SolusVM alternative, as I've stated many times. Only an Open-VZ panel. Perhaps "OVZ Web Panel alternative" would be closer to the truth.

In the end, I just don't think there's a market for what I was going to do (speaking only of the panel). If there was, someone else would probably have started it by now.

• @jarland said: I can manage what I've got, but I'll be the first to tell you I can't make a control panel.

These are my feelings to a T

I didn't realize @subigo was offering server management here, more power to him, I can see a few that could really use his help, but I can understand he doesn't want to work for free either.

I am not actively looking to replace SolusVM, but if something were to come along that can do what I need, I am more than willing to toss a couple hundred a month at it to keep it alive and developing, but if this is to remain OpenVZ only, it would not meet my needs, but hopefully one day something will.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • flyfly Member

@subigo said: One guy went as far as calling me at home, multiple times, demanding I walk him through a problem he was having. I ended up blocking his number, only to have him find me on Facebook and start spamming me there.

thats pretty crazy.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited August 2012

@subigo while we are on the subject YDGH would commit $50/mo to the cause in donations.... im sure some other providers here would commit as well..... i've been keeping quiet until I saw how this thread would go.... oh... and i'll throw in a dedi if you even needed it to test the panel and whatnot....

I have the knowledge to create a panel for openvz - but I haven't had the time so I could help as well or even fork it for my own use.

• Okay then... show of hands. Who would donate and/or pay for access to a support forum/helpdesk? And if so, how much would you be willing to to donate/pay?

As I did in the past, I would base the panel on only single file php pages and bash scripts (where possible), which would make it ridiculously easy for anyone with a little php knowledge to edit and make their own. It would use sqlite instead of mysql. Lighttpd would be the server.

Again, it would be Open-VZ only and you could think of it as the PHP alternative to ovz-web-panel.

The point would be something minimalistic, easy to edit and fork, that's does the job and has no bloat.

With some type of client panel (I've never used BoxCtrl) I'd be willing to pay at least $20/m. More if someone linked it to whmcs. I'd be looking at it as a possible alternative to solusvm.

• $10+ a month if you can do some WHMCS integration.

SolusVM is ugly.

• @lele0108 said: SolusVM is ugly.

SolusVM is dead simple to theme.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

Solusvm is not ugly at all for me

• @Spencer said: SolusVM is dead simple to theme.

But it would still be SolusVM. BoxCtrl is way more cool.

• @lele0108 said: But it would still be SolusVM. BoxCtrl is way more cool.

The appearance is the least relevant thing here. This is running your business, it needs to do actual work

• If you left us a way to splice in support for Xen/KVM I'd pay. I think all anyone needs is an API so we can match it up to our various billing systems.

• lele0108lele0108 Member
    edited August 2012

@miTgiB said: The appearance is the least relevant thing here. This is running your business, it needs to do actual work

True for VPSs, but when your doing Minecraft hosting, a nice looking skin could be the difference of a sale.

Also, BoxCTRL is simple, which is great for my use.

• How many of you are actually using CentOS 6 with vswap? I haven't really messed with it much and want to poll how active it is...

• I'm with @Corey, I would put some towards it.

• Regarding API, maybe it'd be smart to do the same API as Solus so it's compatible with WHMcs by default, or with some little edits.

I would eventually put something in it as well.

Cent6 with vSwap here.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited August 2012

CentOS 6 with vSwap here.

I think popular demand here is that everyone wants to fork it in some way or another and make it fit their own use.

I still offer Burst memory on my older nodes. However I am looking forward for vswap support as well.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

We use CentOS 6 with vSwap.

• CentOS6 w/ vSwap here as well.

• I'm using CentOS 6 with vSwap too.

• CoreyCorey Member

What happened to boxctrl? Where is the source?

• @Corey said: What happened to boxctrl? Where is the source?

I've moved off BoxCtrl internally, the source is shit and its filled with security issues. You should use https://code.google.com/p/ovz-web-panel/