Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HP Stream 11 - thoughts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HP Stream 11 - thoughts?

The HP Stream 11 has just started getting advertised in the UK, and it's looking pretty tempting to me. I've always liked the idea of a Chromebook, but the need to be always connected to the internet put me off, and the Stream 11 looks like it deals with that by having 32GB of storage onboard. Add that you get a year's worth of Office 365 in the price (which I subscribe to already, so would certainly get used), and you're basically getting a reasonable productivity machine for a touch over £100.

I know performance won't be top-notch, but apparently it can handle a decent amount of browser tabs or an office app with no issues, which is fine for this sort of machine.

Does anyone have one, or hands on experience with one?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've had multiple HP desktops and laptops over the last few years from work, and all have been craptastic compared to competitors. Poor build quality, cheapest possible components, strange design decisions (who puts the power port on the side of a laptop? or the headphone jack in the back?), etc.

I wouldn't take HP hardware if you gave it to me.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • Engadget did a great review on this:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/28/hp-stream-11-review/

It's better than a chrome book, it's crappier than a low end ipad. This is the new netbook with windows 8.

• yes I have an hp stream 7 and its great and I love it, hint I did upgrade it from horrible just plain 8.1 to 8.1 pro with my dreamspark through my college.
    But overall I love it.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

HP has a reputation for poor build quality and I have experienced it first hand. I avoid HP products like the plague.

• Never had an HP machine myself, so I appreciate the comments on HP build quality. Are they really that bad - considering the machine is effectively costing me just a touch over £100, are they potentially still not worth the trouble?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2014

HP sucks, but for that machine, at that price, could be ok if you don't plan on unsing it 24/7 and traveling around the world.

Acer is no better for example and they got Chromebooks too.

• HP has the worst build quality out of all the laptops I've had. But at this price, and including Office 365 for a year (which is almost a hundred bucks anyway), go for it!

• Nyr said: HP sucks, but for that machine, at that price, could be ok if you don't plan on unsing it 24/7 and traveling around the world.

Not 24/7, but it would be used for travel so I don't have to cart my Macbook Pro everywhere.

• Wouldn't touch an HP even if you gave me one for free.

• Design sucks :/ Don't like this blue shit^^

• @catalystium said:
    Wouldn't touch an HP even if you gave me one for free.

Slightly off topic, but https://lowendhelpdesk.com/ is absolute gold xD

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Nekki said:
    Not 24/7, but it would be used for travel so I don't have to cart my Macbook Pro everywhere.

I would get something better then, if you can. Seriously doubt the design is any good on this one.

• OK, since the consensus that HP is pretty toilet, any recommendations for 11" laptops at a similar price point?

• The last HP laptop I had burned my palms in the summer. I literally had to dab water on where I placed my palm so it doesn't burn. I've been rocking a Thinkpad ever since and I'm pretty happy about it. Weighs and functions like a tank.

• Thinkpads are great, but not really in my budget.

• Nekki said: OK, since the consensus that HP is pretty toilet, any recommendations for 11" laptops at a similar price point?

I would say the consumer versions of HP's laptops suck - but the enterprise class ones are easily on level with Lenovo's Thinkpads (costs about the same too).

Have you checked out the other Lenovo's - you really can't go wrong with any of them.

• sadly linux doesn't run well/easy on those. UEFI is 32-bit and the wireless card is not supported

• I'll say this... I have the HP Pavilion x2 13-p110nr tablet/laptop/whatever and I love it. I know it has 4GB ram, and I think the stream has the same thing if I'm not mistaken but I think it'll be an OK machine for lighter use. Build Quality really isn't that bad.

• It's okay, the keyboard feels a little cheap on my unit (not sure if it's made like that)
    Works great for browsing, don't expect to play Netflix @ 1080P with 4 Chrome tabs in the background, it'll do 720P fine.
    Battery is great too.

• comXyzcomXyz Member
    edited December 2014

@Nekki SAMSUNG 700T 11.6 inches, old model but good.

It's detachable laptop-tablet. SSD drive, long live battery, 2 camera...

I'm using it and love it.