Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Streaming from my server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Streaming from my server

Hi all,

I use Windows and I have a server from online.net, I have Utorrent installed. I was wondering whether there's a way to watch the files I download via streaming instead of waiting for the files to be downloaded to my PC?

Is it possible?

Thank you!

Comments

• @JoeBiss said:
    Hi all,

I use Windows and I have a server from online.net, I have Utorrent installed. I was wondering whether there's a way to watch the files I download via streaming instead of waiting for the files to be downloaded to my PC?

Is it possible?

Thank you!

Yes there is, just transcode it to an MP4 format and then have it on a Windows Web server for access on your PC.

• Install plex on the server

• Plex. Otherwise, you could skip the downloading and just use Popcorn Time over VPN.

• @0xdragon said: just transcode it to an MP4 format and then have it on a Windows Web server for access on your PC.

This works too. In VLC go to open file from network - paste in the full URL. Works with mkv/avi/whatever VLC can play. Just takes some time to buffer depending on your connection.

• HTTP streaming should be good enough if you have a good enough connection...

• convert it to HLS and host on a normal webserver (port 80). Simple and easy

• +1 for Plex, or just make a simple web media player.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Never used Plex, but isn't that a complex solution just to stream some video? He can just use VLC and HTTP streaming, efficient and ready to go in 30 seconds.

Thanked by 2hostnoob vimalware
  • Using VLC too!

• AronAron Member
    edited December 2014

Just install a web server and then start downloading the file. Then open file which is currently downloading with VLC. I've used this method for some time and it works great.

• @Aron said:
    Just install a web server and then start downloading the file. Then open file which is currently downloading with VLC. I've used this method for some time and it works great.

paste url of the file into vlc, that's enough

• I've been debating whether to go with Plex or simple streaming with VLC. Is there a simple and secure way to set up streaming so it is private, i.e. needs a user/pass to login? I'm assuming most streaming options are unencrypted as well. Not worried about legal issues so much as ISP throttling.

• @im_jmz said:
    I've been debating whether to go with Plex or simple streaming with VLC. Is there a simple and secure way to set up streaming so it is private, i.e. needs a user/pass to login? I'm assuming most streaming options are unencrypted as well. Not worried about legal issues so much as ISP throttling.

Simple firewall which allows access only from your IP address would be enough.

• im_jmz said: I've been debating whether to go with Plex or simple streaming with VLC. Is there a simple and secure way to set up streaming so it is private, i.e. needs a user/pass to login?

No expert with VLC here, but couldn't you password protect the directory, then pass the username and password in the URL you enter into VLC?

Thanked by 2netomx vimalware
  • How about use webdav with apache? Then mounted it as networks share?

• @Nekki said:
    but couldn't you password protect the directory, then pass the username and password in the URL you enter into VLC?

It doesn't work like this for some reason. You just have to paste the URL and a popup appears asking user&pass

• Also there is a vlc plugin for Firefox, so you can watch videos straight from the browser. As far as I remember mkv files won't work using this way.

• Nekki said: No expert with VLC here, but couldn't you password protect the directory, then pass the username and password in the URL you enter into VLC?

That works.

Could throw in HTTPS as well.

• Plex may be a little overkill, but it's still a great streaming tool. I'd recommend it as well.

• @Nekki said:
    No expert with VLC here, but couldn't you password protect the directory, then pass the username and password in the URL you enter into VLC?

This is what I do. Works fine, I just wish VLC had an option to remember usernames/passwords so you don't need to type it in each time.

I also tried setting up Samba, mounting the VPS and then opening with VLC but it tries to download the entire file before streaming.

• use XBMC..

• +1 for vlc + http streaming. That's what I do xD

• another + for VLC. I start the download with downthemall and 1 chunk in settings (so it only loads from the beginning of the file), then open the file with VLC. Works better than streaming because no buffering is required.

• plex ftw!

• Thanks guys. I use VLC, but my internet connection is very slow, that's why I need a way to convert the files into a webplayer format (like youtube, or vimeo) and play them online. Any idea how to achieve that? because streaming the "actual" videos which is 300MB might be hard for me and it wouldn't work..!

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited December 2014

a 720p quality video from youtube is ~120mb / 5 minute timeframe. and btw, youtube also use mp4 as their main format.
    you are better off to sync your ovh video back to your computer then watch it.

you need to figure out how fast and stable is your connection to even sustain that rate.

• JoBiss do you any iOS device , iPad iphone . Then u can stream the videos on them and videos plays smoothly even on 30-60KB/s speed . I stream movies on my iPad like that only,