Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a Windows VM provider that can start 100~200 VMs within a short time
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a Windows VM provider that can start 100~200 VMs within a short time

I'm working on a project which requires using 100 ~ 200 Windows VMs within a short time period (say several hours). I won't be able to use EC2 or Azure. I was trying to use Vultr in the past several weeks. I have two concerns:

1) Starting 100 ~ 200 VMs in Vultr usually takes a long time.
2) Some VMs even cannot get started.

Can you recommend a Windows VM provider which are able to start a large number of VM instances in a short time?

Comments

• Why can't you use Azure or EC2? These are the only providers I can think of for this sort of thing.

• budget ?

• @nunim said:
    Why can't you use Azure or EC2? These are the only providers I can think of for this sort of thing.

The IP ranges of Azure / EC2 have already been banned for this project so I cannot use them. :(

• @drserver Are you up for a challenge? ;-) Give him a shot, you'll find only a great service and friendly/knowledgable support.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • DigitalOcean?

• @kcaj said:
    DigitalOcean?

No Winblows on the DigitalOcean.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • 0xdragon said: No Winblows on the DigitalOcean.

Ah, that'll teach me to skim read.

Thanked by 2netomx Pwner
  • Three questions:

1. What is the application
    2. What is the VPS spec
    3. What is your budget
  • @MarkTurner said:
    Three questions:

1. What is the application
    2. What is the VPS spec
    3. What is your budget
    1. Application is my C# background task, basically a stress testing for my web app.
    2. VPS spec should have at least 2G RAM. Otherwise I feel Windows will run very slow.
    3. I don't have too much concern for budget as long as it works and charges hourly.
  • BradBrad Member
    edited December 2014

• Get Incero's hourly dedicated server and create VM's by yourself.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited December 2014

@PetaByet said:
    Get Incero's hourly dedicated server and create VM's by yourself.

I was actually talking to their live chat guys and got this absolutely insane response.

Joe: We do not offer Incero Instant for customers in your price range.

Me: What price range do you want then?

Joe: $15,000/mo with 2 year contract

Edit: Apparently, Incero Instant is discontinued.

• @0xdragon said:

>

I was actually talking to their live chat guys and got this absolutely insane response.

Joe: We do not offer Incero Instant for customers in your price range.

Me: What price range do you want then?

Joe: $15,000/mo with 2 year contract

What's your 'price range'? I doubt even the regular dedicated server customers pay $15,000/mo with 2 year contract.

• @PetaByet said:
    What's your 'price range'? I doubt even the regular dedicated server customers pay $15,000/mo with 2 year contract.

$60-80/mth.

• Do you actually plan on keeping these instances, or only launching them for a few hours and then killing them?

What is your budget?

• Hello @phoenixinter

We can try working this out for you. Please check your PM

Thanks and Regards

• @QuadraNet_Adam said:
    Do you actually plan on keeping these instances, or only launching them for a few hours and then killing them?

What is your budget?

If Quadranet did instant dedicated servers that would be amazing :O

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

phoenixinter said: The IP ranges of Azure / EC2 have already been banned for this project so I cannot use them. :(

phoenixinter said: Application is my C# background task, basically a stress testing for my web app.

Solution: login to your web server and unban the IP addresses.

• What about runabove.com? Windows run smoothly on smallest plan

• @supick said:
    What about runabove.com? Windows run smoothly on smallest plan

If he wants all his boxes to disappear randomly, then sure, go with RunAbove.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@phoenixinter said:
    The IP ranges of Azure / EC2 have already been banned for this project so I cannot use them. :(

So in other words you are abusing someone else's services and they don't like it, so you need to keep running through and trashing someone's IP addresses.

• Get one powerful windows instance somewhere and run it through 200 small proxies elsewhere?

• Rent a dedicated server hourly, stick proxmox on it and run your own VM's

• @QuadraNet_Adam said:
    Do you actually plan on keeping these instances, or only launching them for a few hours and then killing them?

What is your budget?

Hi, I'll only launch them for a few hours and then kill them. But I do need to use them continuously for about a month, i.e. I'll use them several hours everyday.

• @Jar said:
    So in other words you are abusing someone else's services and they don't like it, so you need to keep running through and trashing someone's IP addresses.

Nope. I'm testing services of my company, but we've already banned EC2 and Azure IP ranges so it's no use to use these VMs and test them.

Thanked by 1jar
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why Windows?

• @netomx said:
    Why Windows?

C# code base (and I've tested that Mono won't support the code...)

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

phoenixinter said: Nope. I'm testing services of my company, but we've already banned EC2 and Azure IP ranges so it's no use to use these VMs and test them.

I still don't understand why you can't simply unban the IP ranges for the duration of the test? Your explanation doesn't really make sense. This seems like the best solution to me.

Thanked by 3netomx Pwner marrco
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

phoenixinter said: Nope. I'm testing services of my company, but we've already banned EC2 and Azure IP ranges so it's no use to use these VMs and test them.

Why? I'm struggling to think of a legitimate reason why someone would block all of EC2 and all of Azure. I can't even imagine how many web sites/services you have cut off, across such a random swath of the Internet that there is no specific content you're blocking, just...EC2- and Azure-hosting sites?

I'm not even sure how you're know what their ranges are. Or why you would do all that work to specifically hunt down EC2/Azure ranges and block them.

I'm sure it couldn't be because you are the one banned there...

Well, anyways, it doesn't matter - the good news is that you can use Rackspace or Google Compute for your needs.

Oh, wait, let me guess...those ranges are "banned" as well...

Thanked by 3Pwner marrco hzwill
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

White list the IP assigned to you and run your web app. Then block the IPs again.

By your explanation I get an itching feeling that this project of yours is not approved by the company owning the website.