Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did anyone else get one of Namecheap's "My Lucky Server" deals on Black Friday?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Did anyone else get one of Namecheap's "My Lucky Server" deals on Black Friday?

It sold out in a matter of minutes, like a lot of their other deals. I was curious if anyone here got one and what the specs were if you did. The deal was $25 with a guaranteed minimum of 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD, can't remember the processor. 100Mbit line with 100TB bandwidth. I ended up getting: Xeon X3440, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Going to move over all sites from previous LEBs and my less-than-reliable OpenVZs from 123systems.

Anyone else get one of these servers from Namecheap?

Comments

• Was it $25 per month or it was just for the first month?

• Per month. They had the same deal up a couple hours later but upped the price to 39.95, same minimum specs.

• And why would you not want to host it @ kimsufi -BHS ?

• Namecheap has great support. Kimsufi will replace broken hardware and that is about it, and I've heard of some lengthy repair times as well.

• NameCheaps dedis are amazing. Good network (as OVH) and best support (unlike OVH). ;)

Thanked by 1im_jmz
  • That's what I got: https://www.petabyet.com/result/2014-11-29-daf39f8dd8481d51d14fa6f18863baaf/

Kinda disappointed with the CPU.

Thanked by 1im_jmz
  • TACServersTACServers Member
    edited December 2014

@im_jmz said:
    ... 100Mbit line with 100TB bandwidth. ...

Impossible. Wouldn't buy from the provider based on this alone. 100TB of transfer is 308.64 Mbps, 24/7 over 30 days. I hope this is a typo.

• ub3rstarub3rstar Member
    edited December 2014

I got one of the "luckydip" servers for $48.88/mo. I bought the server after contacting their support and they told me the server I'd get would have one of the server specs listed on their website, which turned out to be a lie. I thought I'd get a Intel E3 v3 CPU (as listed on their website), but instead I got a Intel E3 v2 CPU. Here's the full specs for that server:

• CPU: Intel E3 1230 v2
    • RAM: 8GB DDR3
    • HDD: 500GB (SATA II)
    • Benchmark

I also contacted them about the "my lucky server" deal and what the difference was with that and the "luckydip" server deal. They told me that the only difference was the price ($25/mo). I got one of the "my lucky servers" thinking that it would still have at least the Intel E3 v2 CPU in it, but that was also a lie. Instead, I got the Intel Pentium G6950 CPU (the full specs are below). I contacted NameCheap support about why I got the Pentium CPU and not the E3 CPU. They told me that they didn't expect to sell so many servers and they ran out of the E3 servers so they had to use their (old) Pentium servers.

• CPU: Intel Pentium G6950
    • RAM: 4GB DDR3
    • HDD: 500GB (SATA II)
    • Benchmark

The servers aren't bad considering the price and what they have. However, the servers come with 2 IP addresses and each additional IP address is $2/mo each (not to mention, if I want 2 or more IP addresses then I need provide justification). For the same price, I can get a server with the same specs as the E3v2 CPU and 5 IP addresses from WholeSaleInternet. Some might say NameCheap and PhoenixNAP have better support, but I would disagree. I have had the same level of service (if not better) compared to NameCheap and PhoenixNAP.

I also think NameCheap could've improved on their server deals. I'm assuming the person that replied to my ticket had no idea they would sell out of the E3 servers, so I don't really blame him for telling me I would get a E3 server. However, they could've put a limit on the number of orders (like all the other Black Friday deals they had). I guess that's something they'll have to consider for the next deals they have.

• @cncking2000

Not a typo. It is listed under the server specs, 100Mbps port and 100TB bandwidth(default). I could pay extra if I needed more bandwidth but that's how it is listed on my server.

It was a gamble but I'm happy with it for the price point.

• @im_jmz - If your happy with the service, I am not one to tell anyone what to do, I just know that if you have a 100mbit connection, the most you'll pull/push in a month is 28-32TB, There is simply not enough pipe to do any more than that. If you pay for more bandwidth, say 200TB, but your still on a 100mbit port, it's a waste of money. Just keeping an eye out.

• @cncking2000

thanks, and I appreciate it. I understand the limitation, I think it was the way they set the offer up. I wouldn't come close to the 100TB anyways, it just happened to be the default in the offer.