Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which AntiVirus solution for Windows Server 2012 (r2)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which AntiVirus solution for Windows Server 2012 (r2)?

myhkenmyhken Member
edited December 2014 in General

Hello. At home I run two servers on Windows Server 2012 R2, then I have a backup server offline with Windows Server 2012.
Then I have two virtual servers running Windows Server 2012.
One of the two virtual servers is used as a Remote Desktop server. So all my computer time, from any of my computers, or tablet (and phone) is done on this computer.

So of course, I need antivirus. Today I use F-prot on all of the servers. I pay $50/years for 10-12 computers. But they never come out with new versions of their software, but it works. But how good? So on the computers I use to surf on the internet on, I use paid versions of Malwarebytes and I also have licenses to SuperAntiSpyware.

Is there any antivirus software (for SERVER) that is better then F-prot, maybe has more features like anti spyware/adware in it etc? And if yes, whats the price?
Have looked at several sites selling antivirus to "businesses" since thats the only one you can use on SERVERs and they do not show any price. I'm not a business, I'm a home user, with a different setup then most. So I need licenses to 5 servers at least.

Any advice, direct tips etc?

Comments

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

We use Microsoft Security Essentials for our Windows Server 2012 servers, you can check this guide to know how to install it on Windows Server 2012: http://www.pwrusr.com/system-administration/microsoft/2-free-microsoft-windows-server-2012-antivirus-solutions

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited December 2014

And it's better then F-prot?

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

We have not used F-secure yet so we could not comment which one is better. But we have been using MSE for years and never got an issue, we have recommended it to many of our customers and got good feedback about it too :)

Thanked by 1myhken
  • nexmarknexmark Member
    edited December 2014

http://home.mcafee.com/store/all-access-security

50$ / Year, Protects all your servers, devices,mac etc.

Edit: looks like no Windows Server X support, :(

• @myhken said:
    Hello. At home I run two servers on Windows Server 2012 R2, then I have a backup server offline with Windows Server 2012.
    Then I have two virtual servers running Windows Server 2012.
    One of the two virtual servers is used as a Remote Desktop server. So all my computer time, from any of my computers, or tablet (and phone) is done on this computer.

So of course, I need antivirus. Today I use F-secure on all of the servers. I pay $50/years for 10-12 computers. But they never come out with new versions of their software, but it works. But how good? So on the computers I use to surf on the internet on, I use paid versions of Malwarebytes and I also have licenses to SuperAntiSpyware.

Is there any antivirus software (for SERVER) that is better then F-secure, maybe has more features like anti spyware/adware in it etc? And if yes, whats the price?
    Have looked at several sites selling antivirus to "businesses" since thats the only one you can use on SERVERs and they do not show any price. I'm not a business, I'm a home user, with a different setup then most. So I need licenses to 5 servers at least.

Any advice, direct tips etc?

safedog~~Is a free software for linux & windows!
    network firewall, active defense, protection email alert log......
    O(∩_∩)O~

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I also had good results with MSE, i mean, people where I put it did not do worse than people paying for antivirus after latest trends.
    Most antiviruses do not remove spyware, so you may wish to have a separate product for that but it never happened to me to get one of those and most friends of mine know how to stay safe. Since I no longer work in a company as sysadmin havent seen much of it, so, my expertise there is a bit limited, but malware bytes used to be pretty good as well as hijack this! for unspecified threats you dig out manually once you know where to look. Combofix (to remove infections) used to be good but lately failed a few times.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Most often the Server version is more expensive then the desktop version because how the system works. Server OS has usually more background processes then a desktop user.

When most of my customers that asks this question I show them Symantec. Not because it is the cheapest or the best. There isn't a single anti virus software that is "best".
    I recommend it because I know the software, I know who to contact when I have questions about a setup or the price isn't right.

To my day to day profession, it means alot.

• TheLonelyTheLonely Member
    edited December 2014

Malwarebytes maybe?

• We would recommend Bit Defender Free if you don't have a cluster of Windows servers that require enterprise level monitoring.

• I use ClamWin, no problems so far.

• I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials and Malware Bytes. If you want something paid then Comodo is very good.

I can get licences pretty cheap for MalwareBytes if needed, PM me.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection

• MSE.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

Hello,

I would say who knows the best your OS than the manufacturer ?
    So i am used to microsoft security essentials, i also tried clamwin witch seems to have good definitions lists.

If you need a server antivirus and have the money you should give a try to forefront witch is the server version of microsoft antivirus system (never tried but had read good feedback).

• MSE or nothing at all.

edited December 2014

Ikoula said: I would say who knows the best your OS than the manufacturer ?

If they knew the OS so well would have not had exploits allowing drive-by infections, or they would have been way less. That being said, they did improve security in the last years, now, with default security on, it should be complicated to break an updated MS server. Just dont put a browser in it or allow only localhost connections and should be reasonably safe. Use another rdp VM to browse and transfer files securely.
    Naturaly, if you are using the server as remote desktop, you will need a desktop grade free or almost free av MSE being again, the recommended choice. This obviously means will not be used as a production server in the same time.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2014

@moaunique

i'm pretty confident that microsoft knows howto protect their own operation systems + all default installed applications provided by them. the problem here is that any kind of third-party software you install/run could cause a hole which the hacker could exploit, thats probably why third-party security software does a better job compared to the security tools delivered by microsoft - third-party security solutions are usually focused on more than just the windows operation system catching third-party exploits in the process.

While I tend to agree with that, MS developed security apps should be able to keep track better of system files because you cannot have a successful infection without changing the OS itself.
    Permission system in NT, while better than in 9x, is largely a joke, therefore MS should have done a better job at protecting the very few core files and the API calls than is doing now. In linux you can have your own kernel and practically everything else, it is way too complicated to keep track of everything, but in windows you should be able to create a very secure system by locking down everything because there are very few variations, those being usually versions. The fact they did not manage it yet in a satisfactory manner is a serious problem.
    Still, the bigger vulnerability will always be between the chair and the screen, windows loses a lot due to relative easiness of the point and click everything. Sadly, it slowly creeps in the unix world too.

• @NDTN said:
    We use Microsoft Security Essentials for our Windows Server 2012 servers, you can check this guide to know how to install it on Windows Server 2012: http://www.pwrusr.com/system-administration/microsoft/2-free-microsoft-windows-server-2012-antivirus-solutions

And how do you take updates for this custom security essentials for server2012??